XP Home remote connectivity

G

In XP Home, there's an option to allow a remote connection, but I can't connect to it using Remote Desktop
I'm thinking about remote control using VNC, but I also need to remote control it from my iPaq 2210 with Pockt PC 2003. Is there a version of VNC that will run on my iPaq

IainM

S

Sooner Al

Yes, look at Mark Midgley's version of the PocketPC VNC client. Be aware though that VNC is slow, at
least in my experience.

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html

Any chance you could upgrade the XP Home box to XP Pro. Terminal Services Client on the PocketPC is
very fast...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights...

IainM said:
In XP Home, there's an option to allow a remote connection, but I can't connect to it using Remote Desktop.
I'm thinking about remote control using VNC, but I also need to remote control it from my iPaq
2210 with Pockt PC 2003. Is there a version of VNC that will run on my iPaq ?

T

Terje Trane

Sooner Al said:
Yes, look at Mark Midgley's version of the PocketPC VNC client. Be aware though that VNC is slow, at
least in my experience.

I often use VNC on Windows because it can be installed without a reboot and
that the client software is one exe-file that fits on a floppy, no
installation needed.

I find that VNC is rather slow on Windows servers, it's much better on
Linux. There are however configuration settings that might be worth looking
at.

G

Thanks for replying, I'll look at the settings

Sooner AL - Thanks for replying to both posts - I posted in the Pocket PC newsgroup too because I thought this group was very quiet

Iain

Ask a Question