XP Home/Recovery Console


J

Jay

Use XP Home on an HP 525W Pavillion.

Encountered boot problem wherein a B&W screen presents only
the following options, none of which work:

safe mode
safe mode with command prompt
safe mode with networking
Last known good configuration
Boot windows normally

With the XP Home Upgrade CD and the BIOS changed to access
the CD first I'm able to get into the Recovery Console.

Ran 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' and tried to reboot - no joy.

Ran 'chkdsk /R' and it reported one or more items were fixed
but unable to boot again. [This implies going back and forth
into the BIOS to change the boot order and then removing the XP
CD, to try and boot.]

Back into the Recovery Console four more times with chkdsk /R
reporting that it has found and corrected one or more errors.

After the forth time, I typed in 'dir' and got back '...an error
has occurred enumerating the directory.' This while I
was still in the Recovery Console. Completely frustrated with
the inability to get this drive to work. Ran SpinRite and
it found no errors on C: or D: drive on its' level 2 - Data
Recovery mode.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,

Jay
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

Shenan Stanley

Jay said:
Use XP Home on an HP 525W Pavillion.

Encountered boot problem wherein a B&W screen presents only
the following options, none of which work:

safe mode
safe mode with command prompt
safe mode with networking
Last known good configuration
Boot windows normally

With the XP Home Upgrade CD and the BIOS changed to access
the CD first I'm able to get into the Recovery Console.

Ran 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' and tried to reboot - no joy.

Ran 'chkdsk /R' and it reported one or more items were fixed
but unable to boot again. [This implies going back and forth
into the BIOS to change the boot order and then removing the XP
CD, to try and boot.]

Back into the Recovery Console four more times with chkdsk /R
reporting that it has found and corrected one or more errors.

After the forth time, I typed in 'dir' and got back '...an error
has occurred enumerating the directory.' This while I
was still in the Recovery Console. Completely frustrated with
the inability to get this drive to work. Ran SpinRite and
it found no errors on C: or D: drive on its' level 2 - Data
Recovery mode.

Thank you for your time and thoughts,

Repair Installation...
(Hopefully SP2 is integrated into your Windows XP Installable media..)

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
 
R

Rock

Jay said:
Use XP Home on an HP 525W Pavillion.

Encountered boot problem wherein a B&W screen presents only
the following options, none of which work:

safe mode
safe mode with command prompt
safe mode with networking
Last known good configuration
Boot windows normally

With the XP Home Upgrade CD and the BIOS changed to access
the CD first I'm able to get into the Recovery Console.

Ran 'fixboot' and 'fixmbr' and tried to reboot - no joy.

Ran 'chkdsk /R' and it reported one or more items were fixed
but unable to boot again. [This implies going back and forth
into the BIOS to change the boot order and then removing the XP
CD, to try and boot.]

Back into the Recovery Console four more times with chkdsk /R
reporting that it has found and corrected one or more errors.

After the forth time, I typed in 'dir' and got back '...an error
has occurred enumerating the directory.' This while I
was still in the Recovery Console. Completely frustrated with
the inability to get this drive to work. Ran SpinRite and
it found no errors on C: or D: drive on its' level 2 - Data
Recovery mode.

The fact that subsequent runs of chkdsk showed problems is not a good sign.
Make sure you always have a full and complete backup of important data, in
case this drive is failing. Also download a drive diagnostic utility from
the drive manufacturer's web site. That will create a bootable floppy or
CD. Boot from that and run the diagnostics. If the drive checks out ok, do
a repair install per the link provided by Shenan.

Note: You don't have to continually change the boot order. If the CD drive
is set as the first boot device and the HD the second, with the CD removed
it will boot to the HD.
 
J

Jay

Jay said:
Use XP Home on an HP 525W Pavillion. []
Ran 'chkdsk /R' and it reported one or more items were
fixed but unable to boot again. [This implies going back
and forth into the BIOS to change the boot order and then
removing the XP CD, to try and boot.]

Back into the Recovery Console four more times with chkdsk
/R reporting that it has found and corrected one or more
errors.

Repair Installation...
(Hopefully SP2 is integrated into your Windows XP
Installable media..)

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Thank you very much,

Jay
 
J

Jay

Jay said:
Use XP Home on an HP 525W Pavillion. []
After the forth time, I typed in 'dir' and got back '...an
error has occurred enumerating the directory.' This while
I was still in the Recovery Console. Completely frustrated
with the inability to get this drive to work.
Ran SpinRite and it found no errors on C: or D: drive on
its'level 2 - Data Recovery mode.

I presumed that executing SpinRite v 6.0 on both C & D without
SpinRite reporting any errors at all was a good sign the drive
is okay.
The fact that subsequent runs of chkdsk showed problems is
not a good sign. Make sure you always have a full and
complete backup of important data, in case this drive is
failing. Also download a drive diagnostic utility from the
drive manufacturer's web site. That will create a bootable
floppy or CD. Boot from that and run the diagnostics. If
the drive checks out ok, do a repair install per the link
provided by Shenan.

My friend purchased HP's recovery CDs for her system but I
haven't used them yet. She was four days from her scheduled
full backup when this happened...but very busy for her.

Will follow Shenan's detailed instructions.
Note: You don't have to continually change the boot order.
If the CD drive is set as the first boot device and the HD
the second, with the CD removed it will boot to the HD.

Thank you.

Jay
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Rock

Jay said:
"Rock" <[email protected]> recently posted
Jay said:
Use XP Home on an HP 525W Pavillion. []
After the forth time, I typed in 'dir' and got back '...an
error has occurred enumerating the directory.' This while
I was still in the Recovery Console. Completely frustrated
with the inability to get this drive to work.
Ran SpinRite and it found no errors on C: or D: drive on
its'level 2 - Data Recovery mode.

I presumed that executing SpinRite v 6.0 on both C & D without
SpinRite reporting any errors at all was a good sign the drive
is okay.
The fact that subsequent runs of chkdsk showed problems is
not a good sign. Make sure you always have a full and
complete backup of important data, in case this drive is
failing. Also download a drive diagnostic utility from the
drive manufacturer's web site. That will create a bootable
floppy or CD. Boot from that and run the diagnostics. If
the drive checks out ok, do a repair install per the link
provided by Shenan.

My friend purchased HP's recovery CDs for her system but I
haven't used them yet. She was four days from her scheduled
full backup when this happened...but very busy for her.

Will follow Shenan's detailed instructions.
Note: You don't have to continually change the boot order.
If the CD drive is set as the first boot device and the HD
the second, with the CD removed it will boot to the HD.


You presume? Do you know? I don't know if running Spinrite is the
equivalent of running the manufacturer's diagnostic utility. A repair
install is the way to go from this point, but if it were me I would run the
manufacturer's diagnostic first.
 
J

Jay

Jay said:
"Rock" <[email protected]> recently posted []
Ran SpinRite and it found no errors on C: or D: drive on
its'level 2 - Data Recovery mode.

I presumed that executing SpinRite v 6.0 on both C & D
without SpinRite reporting any errors at all was a good
sign the drive is okay.
Will follow Shenan's detailed instructions.
[]

You presume? Do you know? I don't know if running
Spinrite is the equivalent of running the manufacturer's
diagnostic utility. A repair install is the way to go from
this point, but if it were me I would run the
manufacturer's diagnostic first.
Thank you Rock, for your thought.

Perhaps enlightenment will help your KB concerning SpinRite
with a visit to grc.com to read up on what it does. Many
people beta tested SpinRite v. 6.0, myself included, prior to
release, with a wide variety of systems and an even greater
variety of hard drives within those systems.
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Rock

Jay said:
"Rock" <[email protected]> recently posted
Jay said:
"Rock" <[email protected]> recently posted
[]
Ran SpinRite and it found no errors on C: or D: drive on
its'level 2 - Data Recovery mode.

I presumed that executing SpinRite v 6.0 on both C & D
without SpinRite reporting any errors at all was a good
sign the drive is okay.
Will follow Shenan's detailed instructions.
[]

You presume? Do you know? I don't know if running
Spinrite is the equivalent of running the manufacturer's
diagnostic utility. A repair install is the way to go from
this point, but if it were me I would run the
manufacturer's diagnostic first.
Thank you Rock, for your thought.

Perhaps enlightenment will help your KB concerning SpinRite
with a visit to grc.com to read up on what it does. Many
people beta tested SpinRite v. 6.0, myself included, prior to
release, with a wide variety of systems and an even greater
variety of hard drives within those systems.

Don't need to, but suite yourself. I just told you what I would.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads

chkdsk loop 4
XP Recovery 21
chkdsk boot loop 2
Recovery Console CHKDSK 1
Recovery Console 2
recovery console 9
XP Recovery Console create/install ? 1
Can't access recovery console 2

Top