XP Freezes on Welcome Screen


B

Belprice

Hi Folks,

I am running Windows XP and I have a problem that is driving me insane.

Every time I try to start my computer it freezes at the Windows Welcome
screen and no matter how long I leave it doesn’t start-up and the little
process bar keeps flowing across the screen. I can start the computer in Safe
Mode and have ran all the usual anti virus and spyware programs , but no
matter what I do when I try to restart or turn off then turn on the computer,
it still freezes on the welcome screen. I have been living with this problem
for about to months.

About two weeks ago I tried to download and upgrade the Windows SP3 upgrade
an after an age it failed and give me a message about ACCESS DENIED or
something similar. However and this is the interesting part , after failing
SP3 ran a clean up job and uninstalled and then asked me to restart the
computer, which I did. And the computer started perfectly normal and did not
freeze up on the welcome screen. However the next time I had to restart the
computer I was faced with the same old problem, the computer froze at the
welcome screen.

I can only assume that when SP3 failed and restarted the computer it loaded
the right files or whatever it took to make the computer start normally. Now
when I want to start the computer normally I have to go through the whole
process of trying to install SP3 and when it fails and restarts the computer,
the computer starts normally, until I try and restart it.

Please please can someone help me out here?

Ta in advance
JC
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gerry

Belprice

Another malware infestation like you had a month ago?

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
1.32 -freeware (if you upgrade you pay).
http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Run Malwarebytes' in safe mode and turn off your current anti-virus
before you do to avoid
a conflict. Disregard the invitation on the web site regarding the
Registry Optimiser -a Registry Optimiser is not a helpful utitity.

Have a look in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for
Errors and Warnings and post copies here. Don't post any more than 48
hours ago.

You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning
of the error, information regarding Event ID, Source and Description
are important.

HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

A tip for posting copies of Error Reports! Run Event Viewer and double
click on the error you want to copy. In the window, which appears is a
button resembling two pages. Click the button and close Event
Viewer.Now start your message (email) and do a paste into the body of
the message. Make sure this is the first paste after exiting from
Event Viewer.

Ignore suggestions from trolls like the Real Truth MVP.


--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
B

Belprice

Hi Gerry ,

Thank your well and thanks for responding.
And yes another little nasty seems to toying with my computer.

I am about to carry out your instructions and will let you know the out come
tomorrow. Am I right in assumming you want me to post the result within this
thread? I not please let me know
 
B

Belprice

Hi Gerry & anyone else reading this.

I ran the Malware program in safe mode and it found no problems. Below is a
list of all the system and application error and warning messages. Do you
need any other info from me? And thanks in a advance for any help or advice
you may be able to offer me.

System Errors & Warnings

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11165
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 2:48:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network
adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {CB727F48-2EFD-4035-9C2C-E78999903CD4}
Host Name : TIM
Primary Domain Suffix : forcetravel.local
DNS server list :
194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :
80.192.240.201

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS
server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be
(a) you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or (b)
because the DNS server authoritative for this name does not support the DNS
dynamic update protocol.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain
name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network
systems administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 2a 23 00 00 *#..


Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:44:40 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: TIM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode " attempting to
start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 2:34:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL
SYMTDI

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:50:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler
service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 10:03:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The SYMTDI service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:50:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The Upload Manager service failed to start due to the following error:
The account specified for this service is different from the account
specified for other services running in the same process.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5719
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:49:31 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
No Domain Controller is available for domain FORCE due to the following:
There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request.
..
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and try again. If
the problem persists, please contact your domain administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 5e 00 00 c0 ^..À


Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Tcpip
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4226
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 12:11:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent
TCP connect attempts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....‚..€
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........


Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 36
Date: 09/01/2009
Time: 5:11:02 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152
seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable
time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 29
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:50:26 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No
attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no
source of accurate time.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 14
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:50:26 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The time provider NtpClient was unable to find a domain controller to use as
a time source. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 08/01/2009
Time: 1:56:12 PM
User: FORCE\Tim
Computer: TIM
Description:
Printer HP remote printers is pending deletion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: sptd
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 2:06:03 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 04 c0 .......À
0010: ed 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 í.......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........





Application Errors

Event Type: Error
Event Source: AutoEnrollment
Event Category: None
Event ID: 15
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 2:12:18 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the
active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or
could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: AutoEnrollment
Event Category: None
Event ID: 15
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 11:42:50 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Automatic certificate enrollment for local system failed to contact the
active directory (0x8007054b). The specified domain either does not exist or
could not be contacted.
Enrollment will not be performed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 2:40:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Faulting application empire earth.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module
empire earth.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0021e003.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 65 6d 70 ure emp
0018: 69 72 65 20 65 61 72 74 ire eart
0020: 68 2e 65 78 65 20 30 2e h.exe 0.
0028: 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 6e 0.0.0 in
0030: 20 65 6d 70 69 72 65 20 empire
0038: 65 61 72 74 68 2e 65 78 earth.ex
0040: 65 20 30 2e 30 2e 30 2e e 0.0.0.
0048: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 0 at off
0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 32 31 set 0021
0058: 65 30 30 33 0d 0a e003..


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 2:40:12 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Fault bucket 18859525.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 31 38 38 35 39 35 32 35 18859525
0010: 0d 0a ..


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1054
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 1:04:58 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: TIM
Description:
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network.
(The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. ).
Group Policy processing aborted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
 
G

Gerry

Belprice

A complicated maze of reports.

What is your version of Windows XP? Professional, Home Edition or ?? 32
bit or 64 bit?

What is your computer make and model?

Is your computer standalone or networked? A lot of the errors suggest a
broken network.

Is the computer solely for home use or is it also used to connect to
your place of business?

What is the current status of Norton and Superantispy? Are they woprking
correctly? I think you turned them off to run Malwarebytes. Is my
understanding correct?

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
B

Belprice

Hi Gerry ,

Thanks for getting back to me,

I am running Windows XP Professional and the computer is a dell. The
computer was a computer I used in work and was therefore configured for a
newwork. However I now work from home and it still seems to be configured for
the network , which it is no longer conected too. However , I used it very
many month prior to thecurrent problem in question araising (XP Freezes on
Welcome Screen)

Both my anti software and spy ware have been running in the back ground and
have found nothing new.

One point i forgot to mention is I have two hard drives conected to the
computer. I aded a second one due to the fact the one in place was only 20
GB. Wouldit be posssible to have XP start or boot into the other hard drive?

I am grateful for any help you migh have.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gerry

Belprice

When was the computer new? Approximate if you do not know for certain?
What Dell model?

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
B

Belprice

Hi Gerry ,

I have no idea how old the computer is. I knows its more than 3 - 4 years
old and also its very basic , i can't play certain games ect and I think this
is either a memmory or videoo card probelm. I plan to either replace this
computer or upgrade it as soon as I can afford it. But for the time being I
have to try and get this one working to the best of its ability.

Would it be possible for me to wipe the old hard drive and then install XP
in the other bigger hard drive? Is this possible to do in Windows mode or
would I have to do this in DOS?

Ta once again for any help.

JC
 
G

Gerry

JC

What Dell model?

I asked this question because some Dell computers develop of problem of
leaking capacitors on the motherboard


--



Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
B

Belprice

Hi Gerry ,

Please forgive me ignorance here , but how do I find out how old the
computer is and other info that might you or someone else help me sort out my
many problems.

TA
JC
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Belprice

Hi Gerry ,

I ran Belarc program an it give me this information.

I hope this help..Ta JC


Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX240
System Service Tag: 1QFDF0J (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 1QFDF0J
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Processor a
Main Circuit Board b
1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX240
System Service Tag: 1QFDF0J (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 1QFDF0J
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower


Board: Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX240
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A02 12/06/2001
Drives Memory Modules c,d
60.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Lite-On LTN486 48x Max [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

768 Megabytes Installed Memory




Gerry said:
JC

By telling us the computer model.

http://snipurl.com/a9b4k [support_dell_com]

http://snipurl.com/a9aye [support_dell_com]

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Gerry ,

Please forgive me ignorance here , but how do I find out how old the
computer is and other info that might you or someone else help me
sort out my many problems.

TA
JC
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gerry

JC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

You need to check whether the capacitors are OK


--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belprice said:
Hi Gerry ,

I ran Belarc program an it give me this information.

I hope this help..Ta JC


Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX240
System Service Tag: 1QFDF0J (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 1QFDF0J
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower
Processor a
Main Circuit Board b
1.70 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX240
System Service Tag: 1QFDF0J (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 1QFDF0J
Enclosure Type: Mini-Tower


Board: Dell Computer Corporation OptiPlex GX240
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A02 12/06/2001
Drives Memory Modules c,d
60.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.36 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Lite-On LTN486 48x Max [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

768 Megabytes Installed Memory




Gerry said:
JC

By telling us the computer model.

http://snipurl.com/a9b4k [support_dell_com]

http://snipurl.com/a9aye [support_dell_com]

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Gerry ,

Please forgive me ignorance here , but how do I find out how old the
computer is and other info that might you or someone else help me
sort out my many problems.

TA
JC
:

JC

What Dell model?

I asked this question because some Dell computers develop of
problem of leaking capacitors on the motherboard


--



Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belprice wrote:
Hi Gerry ,

I have no idea how old the computer is. I knows its more than 3 -
4 years old and also its very basic , i can't play certain games
ect and I think this is either a memmory or videoo card probelm.
I plan to either replace this computer or upgrade it as soon as I
can afford it. But for the time being I have to try and get this
one working to the best of its ability.

Would it be possible for me to wipe the old hard drive and then
install XP in the other bigger hard drive? Is this possible to do
in Windows mode or would I have to do this in DOS?

Ta once again for any help.

JC

:

Belprice

When was the computer new? Approximate if you do not know for
certain? What Dell model?

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Belprice wrote:
Hi Gerry ,

Thanks for getting back to me,

I am running Windows XP Professional and the computer is a dell.
The computer was a computer I used in work and was therefore
configured for a newwork. However I now work from home and it
still seems to be configured for the network , which it is no
longer conected too. However , I used it very many month prior
to thecurrent problem in question araising (XP Freezes on
Welcome Screen)

Both my anti software and spy ware have been running in the back
ground and have found nothing new.

One point i forgot to mention is I have two hard drives conected
to the computer. I aded a second one due to the fact the one in
place was only 20 GB. Wouldit be posssible to have XP start or
boot into the other hard drive?

I am grateful for any help you migh have.


:


Belprice

A complicated maze of reports.

What is your version of Windows XP? Professional, Home Edition
or ?? 32 bit or 64 bit?

What is your computer make and model?

Is your computer standalone or networked? A lot of the errors
suggest a broken network.

Is the computer solely for home use or is it also used to
connect to your place of business?

What is the current status of Norton and Superantispy? Are they
woprking correctly? I think you turned them off to run
Malwarebytes. Is my understanding correct?

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Belprice wrote:
Hi Gerry & anyone else reading this.

I ran the Malware program in safe mode and it found no
problems. Below is a list of all the system and application
error and warning messages. Do you need any other info from
me? And thanks in a advance for any help or advice you may be
able to offer me.

System Errors & Warnings

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DnsApi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11165
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 2:48:08 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs)
for network adapter
with settings:

Adapter Name : {CB727F48-2EFD-4035-9C2C-E78999903CD4}
Host Name : TIM
Primary Domain Suffix : forcetravel.local
DNS server list :
194.168.4.100, 194.168.8.100
Sent update to server : <?>
IP Address(es) :
80.192.240.201

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because
the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The
reasons for this might be (a) you are not allowed to update
the specified DNS domain name, or (b) because the DNS server
authoritative for this name does not support the DNS dynamic
update protocol.

To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the
specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter,
contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 2a 23 00 00 *#..


Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:44:40 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: TIM
Description:
DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode "
attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments ""
in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 2:34:23 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to
load: SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL
SYMTDI

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:50:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Automatic
LiveUpdate Scheduler service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 12/01/2009
Time: 10:03:34 PM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The SYMTDI service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:50:46 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
The Upload Manager service failed to start due to the
following error: The account specified for this service is
different from the account specified for other services
running in the same process.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.


Event Type: Error
Event Source: NETLOGON
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5719
Date: 13/01/2009
Time: 9:49:31 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TIM
Description:
No Domain Controller is available for domain FORCE due to the
following: There are currently no logon servers available to
service the logon request. .
Make sure that the computer is connected to the network and
try again. If the problem persists, please contact your domain
administrator.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top