have mouse controll but nothing else. I don't think I
can get into safe mode to check anything as far as
hardware. The only other thing that I myself can do is
get into the CMOS.

A

Agustin E. Beci

You said: "you don't think you can get in safe mode"
is this a fact, or presumption.

Use F8 to get into Safe mode and configure user accounts.

L

Lance

I am experiencing the exact same problem on my compaq
presario 2100 laptop. My machine gets as far as the blue
welcome screen, but with no logon box displayed. Mouse
and keyboard appear to be working but pressing F8 does
absolutely nothing.

Any help would be appreciated

Lance

G

Thanks Kelly, but neither of those articles is helpful. I'm having the exact same problem. I get to the blue welcome screen - it shows the Welcome to Windows XP logo. Normally there would be two users to choose from - there are none. The mouse and keyboard both work, but there's nothing to click on. Pressing alt-tab shows 'windows logon' and 'logon to windows'. If I choose 'windows logon' the keyboard no longer works (or at least alt-tab doesn't do anything - that's the only indication that the keyboard worked in the first place).

I have rebooted in Safe Mode, with the exact same symptoms.

I've run the recovery console, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do with it. I ran chkdsk /p - no problems. The disk looks fine. I can't get into the "Documents and Settings" folder (access denied) to see if my users are still there.

I don't have an automated system recovery disk.

This problem started when I installed another hard drive. This hard drive has XP on it. I my old computer's BIOS I could specify exactly which disk to boot from, but I can't seem to do that in my new bios. So it kept booting from the new drive, no matter what I tried. The first time it booted, it got to the welcome screen, displayed an error message for a couple seconds (didn't have time to read it), then rebooted. When it got back to the welcome screen everything seemed fine. When I logged on though, the new drive was C, and the old drive was F, but I was somehow logged in on the old drive. My Docs and all settings were from my user account on the F drive.

To get it to boot from the old (F) drive, I resorted to unplugging the new drive so that there was only one boot choice. But I get the empty welcome screen when booting from that drive.

I believe something happened to the system on the old (F) drive the first time the new (C) drive booted, when it showed that error message and rebooted. Some sort of transfer of users from one system to the other (without moving any files). There's probably some bit somewhere that needs to be reset. But where? And how would I get to it even if I knew where it was?

Thanks,

Mike.

Ask a Question