XP firewall

Neil Harwani

I am using Win XP Pro with its built in firewall. Should I install some
other firewall on top of this or the built in firewall good enough. Also are
any special settings that I should follow to keep my system safe.
Regards,
Neil.

Will Denny

Hi

The XP Firewall is OK for monitoring incoming access to your PC, but it does
not monitor outgoing access to the Internet. May I suggest that you install
a 3rd party firewall which is 2-way - such as ZoneAlarm - www.zonelabs.com

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"Neil Harwani" <neilharwani(AT-THE-RATE)icenet(DOT)net> wrote in message
| I am using Win XP Pro with its built in firewall. Should I install some
| other firewall on top of this or the built in firewall good enough. Also
are
| any special settings that I should follow to keep my system safe.
| Regards,
| Neil.
|
| --
| =====
| Visit me at: http://www.guyfromld.com
| =====

Rick

XP built in firewall is good enough for most users (it
blocks incoming traffic only). If you have broadband
connection and/or you're connected "always on" to the
internet, then you must consider to install the reliable
free version of Zone Alarm instead (blocks both
incoming/outgoing traffic). You must disable XP built in
firewall first prior to install any other 3rd party
protection.

Good Luck

David

The XP firewall should be run in conjunction with another firewall. Most
recommend ZoneAlarm Pro for about $40, but the free version is good enough
for most.

Jeffrey Struyk - MVP

I am using Win XP Pro with its built in firewall. Should I install some
other firewall on top of this or the built in firewall good enough. Also are
any special settings that I should follow to keep my system safe.
Regards,
Neil.

I consider the XP firewall to be a minimal solution. It's better than
nothing and does offer limited protection, but there are other
freeware firewall products out there that are more effective.

My preference is Kerio's personal firewall (www.kerio.com). The new
version also has web filtering capabilities, but those are only good
for 30 days unless you buy a license. The firewall continues to work
beyond the 30 days under a freeware license, which is what I am using
(I have my own web filtering software already).

ZoneAlarm is another good one, as others have suggested.

Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)

Wrong! You install the 2nd firewall first, then disable the built in
firewall.

OR, you physically disconnect the computer from the internet. Then you can
do as you say!

Remember, if you are not up to date with your Window Updates, it only takes
one (1) second to get the blaster worm if you are connected to the internet
"without" a firewall.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

David

Since the XP firewall is built into the code of Windows itself, this is safe
to do, so say a lot of the experts.
Been doing it this way pretty much since XP came out with no problems.

Wesley Vogel

David;

From the horse's mouth.

[[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software firewall
from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home
computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios. Using
two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to
the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the
Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different software firewall, can
provide substantial protection for your computer.]]

Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp

Yves Leclerc

Every one is recommending a retail firewall. Zone Alarm Free is not a bad
firewall and the price is ok (free).

XP's built-in firewall will be getting a complete make-over in June when SP2
is delivered.

Frank

Every one is recommending a retail firewall. Zone Alarm Free is not a bad
firewall and the price is ok (free).

All of the retail _software_ firewalls and virus scanners are
proactive.
What people need is an education to safely operate a computer on
the net, email, etc etc.

David

I'm just going by what I heard on TechTV, and personal experience. I don't
even like XP's built-in firewall that much to be honest.

Wesley Vogel said:
David;

From the horse's mouth.

[[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software firewall
from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home
computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios. Using
two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to
the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is the
Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different software firewall, can
provide substantial protection for your computer.]]

Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In
David said:
Since the XP firewall is built into the code of Windows itself, this
is safe to do, so say a lot of the experts.
Been doing it this way pretty much since XP came out with no problems.

Will Denny

Hi

What is TechTV? Don't tell me it's one of these 'helpful' PC programs, that
completely screws ones system up?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I'm just going by what I heard on TechTV, and personal experience. I
don't
| even like XP's built-in firewall that much to be honest.
|

| | > David;
| >
| > From the horse's mouth.
| >
| > [[Q. Should I use both Internet Connection Firewall and a software
| firewall
| > from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
| > A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical
home
| > computers, home networking, and small business networking scenarios.
Using
| > two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with
connectivity
| > the Internet or other unexpected behavior. One firewall, whether it is
the
| > Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or different software firewall,
| can
| > provide substantial protection for your computer.]]
| >

| > Frequently Asked Questions About Internet Firewalls
| > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/firewall.asp
| >
| > --
| > Hope this helps. Let us know.
| > Wes
| >
| > In | > David <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
| > > Since the XP firewall is built into the code of Windows itself, this
| > > is safe to do, so say a lot of the experts.
| > > Been doing it this way pretty much since XP came out with no problems.

Tom

Will Denny said:
Hi

What is TechTV? Don't tell me it's one of these 'helpful' PC programs, that
completely screws ones system up?

Well, it isn't British for one thing, so I guess you have issues with tech
shows there!

But anyway, it actually is a very reputable show, giving a lot of help, and
advice. A good deal of their themes is to show how to protect one's PC, and
update their viewers with the latest security updates from MS or the other
OS types. One is much more likely to get screwed advice here than there!

Will Denny

| | > Hi
| >
| > What is TechTV? Don't tell me it's one of these 'helpful' PC programs,
| that
| > completely screws ones system up?
|
| Well, it isn't British for one thing, so I guess you have issues with tech
| shows there!
|
| But anyway, it actually is a very reputable show, giving a lot of help,
and
| advice. A good deal of their themes is to show how to protect one's PC,
and
| update their viewers with the latest security updates from MS or the other
| OS types. One is much more likely to get screwed advice here than there!

As I said. All theses 'Techie' programs - which ever side of the pond there
are - try to instil a sense of security for PC owners. Which we all know is
a load of rubbish!!

Joh N.

Will Denny, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
wrote:
Hi

What is TechTV? Don't tell me it's one of these 'helpful' PC programs, that
completely screws ones system up?

BWAHAHAHAHAH! The village idiot speaks up again! The rest of the
silly-letter-after-the-name club, should really be kicking themselves in their
collective ass for voting you in!

Joh N.

wrote:

| | > Hi
| >
| > What is TechTV? Don't tell me it's one of these 'helpful' PC programs,
| that
| > completely screws ones system up?
|
| Well, it isn't British for one thing, so I guess you have issues with tech
| shows there!
|
| But anyway, it actually is a very reputable show, giving a lot of help,
and
| advice. A good deal of their themes is to show how to protect one's PC,
and
| update their viewers with the latest security updates from MS or the other
| OS types. One is much more likely to get screwed advice here than there!

As I said. All theses 'Techie' programs - which ever side of the pond there
are - try to instil a sense of security for PC owners. Which we all know is
a load of rubbish!!

No worse "rubbish" than that which you constantly spew, oh village idiot.

Joh N.

Wesley Vogel

Well I would run one firewall. Any one that a person wants to run.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In
David said:
I'm just going by what I heard on TechTV, and personal experience. I
don't even like XP's built-in firewall that much to be honest.

Wesley Vogel said:
David;

From the horse's mouth.

David said:
Since the XP firewall is built into the code of Windows itself, this
is safe to do, so say a lot of the experts.
Been doing it this way pretty much since XP came out with no
problems.

Why should it?
There is no gain in having two software firewalls in use.

The XP firewall should be run in conjunction with another
firewall. Most

Plato

David said:
I'm just going by what I heard on TechTV, and personal experience. I don't
even like XP's built-in firewall that much to be honest.

Are the folks on TechTV techs that work in the field fixing problems and
then relay their experience to others? Or are they actors?