XP Fax and Calling Card

G

I've seen several mentions about troubles with XP Fax and dialing rules, but nothing that has helped solve my problem. When using the XP Fax program, the dialing rules seem to be ignored. I am running XP Pro, but with a single user setup (admin). I have configured the dialing rules to use a calling card for long distance calls, but when I fax it always tries to dial direct (ignoring the dialing rules). I've tried a few different configurations, and have been looking online for some remedy, but have yet to find something that works. I would prefer to keep everything integrated, and not have to get a different fax program with its own rule base. Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

R

roger

Hi,

I've seen several mentions about troubles with XP Fax and dialing rules, but nothing that has helped solve my problem. When using the XP Fax program, the dialing rules seem to be ignored. I am running XP Pro, but with a single user setup (admin). I have configured the dialing rules to use a calling card for long distance calls, but when I fax it always tries to dial direct (ignoring the dialing rules). I've tried a few different configurations, and have been looking online for some remedy, but have yet to find something that works. I would prefer to keep everything integrated, and not have to get a different fax program with its own rule base. Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318575
Dialing Rules May Not Be Applied to Tools Such as Fax

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=247192
You Must Enter Telephone Numbers in Canonical Form in Order to Use
Dialing Rules

Good luck

G

Thank you for such a swift reply. Looking at my post, I notice that I should have included a bit more info. I had seen the requirement for using the canonical form, but since I use the wizard, the destination number is entered in this form. However, I had not thought about the calling card access number. This number is NOT in canonical form currently. Perhaps this is the problem. Now, do I need to enter the +1 section of the number, or does having a dialing rule which adds the 1 for the proper area code (800 in this case) sufficient? I will definately give this a try tonight (home machine problem). Thanks again

R

roger

Hi,

Okay, now I remember why the calling card access number wasn't in canonical form - the input field for the access number accepts ONLY numbers and spaces (no parentheses or dashes). Anyway, tried a couple different spacing formats, but still no joy. The long distance dialing rule for using a calling card is NOT used and the destination number is attempted. Interestingly enough, the dialing rule for ten digit dialing IS followed, but the calling card rule is NOT. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

820886 - New Dialing Codes to Create Custom Calling Card Rules
This article describes Dialing Rules design changes in Windows XP and
Windows 2003.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;820886

Check also this site for other ideas:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/olphone.htm

Good luck, hope this helps.

C

C.Joseph Drayton

Hi SpaceCadet,

What key was it that you modified?

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys to cheaply . . .
He esteems to lightly

G

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I hadn't checked this thread lately. Anyway, my final fix was in updating the "To access an outside line for long-distance calls, dial:" field under the "General" tab for the dialing rules. I had errantly believed that filling out the access number within the calling card field would be all that was needed. However, the access number under the calling card field didn't seem to do anything, rather it was the corresponding field mentioned above which actually handled dialing the number. It still seems a little odd to me that it shouldn't work either way, but -hey, it works for me now

Hope this helps

C

C.Joseph Drayton

Hi SpaceCadet,

I just tried your suggestion, and it still is not dialing the calling card number. It goes straight to the number I am trying to
fax to.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys to cheaply . . .
He esteems to lightly

G

-----Original Message-----
Hi SpaceCadet,

I just tried your suggestion, and it still is not dialing
the calling card number. It goes straight to the number I
am trying to
fax to.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph