Windows 7 XP faster than Vista or 7 ????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Is this article telling me the truth ? Is me old XP faster than 7 ??

http://www.computerworlduk.com/tech...indows/in-depth/index.cfm?articleid=2026&pn=2

"Windows XP is the OS that simply will not die, and for good reason: It's mature, stable, and - - most important -- fast as the wind on today's hardware. In fact, Windows XP outpaced its younger siblings by a factor of two during multiprocess workload testing -- concurrent database, workflow, and multimedia tasks on our dual-core test bed and by up to 66 percent on our quad-core test bed."

"It should come as no surprise that Windows 7 performs very much like its predecessor. In fact, during extensive multiprocess benchmark testing, Windows 7 essentially mirrored Vista in almost every scenario. Database tasks? Roughly 118 percent slower than XP on dual-core (Vista was 92 percent slower) and 19 percent slower than XP on quad-core (identical to Vista). Workflow? A respectable 38 percent slower than XP on dual-core (Vista was 98 percent slower) and 59 percent slower on quad-core (Vista was 66 percent slower). "

"My own testing would seem to corroborate Microsoft's story. If anything, the company is underselling its multicore advantage. Clearly, the optimisations made to the Vista kernel -- both in its original incarnation and in its updated Windows 7 variant -- are having an impact even at the quad-core level.

However, better scalability still isn't enough to offset Windows XP's huge performance edge on today's hardware. In fact, it won't be until after Windows 7 has been replaced by the next Windows that the fruit of Microsoft's multicore optimisation labours will be fully realised. Then, as we boot our 32- or 64-core netbooks, we can all smile as Microsoft's foresight and perseverance finally start to pay off.

This article originally appeared on ComputerWorldUK's sister title InfoWorld."

This is not a kick 7 post but a genuine ask.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Windows 7 performance seems really good to me, so I'm surprised that their benchmarks show such a drop compared to XP. It definitely seems faster than Vista :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have been following the Vista and 7 threads and I know some folk find them ok after initial teething problems so was wondering at the article. Was planning on using the free 7 but doubt if I will have time now. Think I will have to stick with XP due to costs and time constraints till it dies a natural death.

Glad your enjoying the MS freebie.

happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm gonna give 7 a go when its out to go with my new rig that i'm planning (i7 etc), seems to be getting some good review/opinions out there. Looks like i'm gonna miss the vista boat. :p

Reaction score
7 is pretty quick...I am going to boot up my slimline version of XP later and see which is quicker...In standard form I think 7 is much quicker..But with my nLited version, I think that wiill win hands down...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The RC should be available for a while longer, and it lasts till early next year - so it's a good way to try it out :)

V_R said:
I'm gonna give 7 a go when its out to go with my new rig that i'm planning (i7 etc), seems to be getting some good review/opinions out there. Looks like i'm gonna miss the vista boat. :p

Windows 7 will fly on an i7 :D

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The RC should be available for a while longer, and it lasts till early next year - so it's a good way to try it out :)

Windows 7 will fly on an i7 :D

W7 fly's on my crappy Celeron 1.80Ghz that has been clocked.....So I can only imagine what it must do on some of your rigs....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So is anyone dual booting an can give us some real time comparisons rather than impressions ?
nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
So is anyone dual booting an can give us some real time comparisons rather than impressions ?
nod.gif

No I am dula booting Vista and W 7, and have Mint installed as a whuey or whatever its called, but soon to delete it as its causing prbs...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My Dad can beat your Dad.

XP is 80 years old, it was/is not configured to make full use of dual-core CPUs never mind quads. :rolleyes: Strange indeed then that it's faster than Vista & Win7

Win7 = Vista, with a new name. :wave:

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Win 7 is moving as fast as XP for me on this machine:

Asus M2N sli Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athlon AM2 XP6400+ 3.2Ghz dual core CPU Black Edition
Noctua NH-U12F CPU Cooler with 2 x 120mm fans
2Gb Corsair XMS DDR2 6400C5 memory
BFG Nvidia 8800GTS 640Mb Video card
Creative Audigy 2 Sound Card
Linksys Wireless WMP54G V4.1 Network card
Sata II Caddies For Primary drive x 3 housing:
250Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk (Win XP)
160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Disk (For Linux Distros)
160Gb Maxtor SATA II Hard Disk (For Linux Distros)
Storage Hard Disks:
320Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk
750Gb Samsung SATA II Hard Disk
Western Digital 120Gb SATA Hard Disks x 2
Dazzle Platinum USB Video/Audio interface breakout box
Antec Sonata Case
Corsair 650W Non Modular PSU
Plextor 800A 18 x DVDRW PATA
Asus DVD-ROM PATA
A Floppy Drive
Logitech corded G5 Laser Mouse
Logitech flat compact keyboard, corded
Samsung 22” 2232BW Glossy Black Pebble Monitor
Pioneer A300 80wpc amplifier
A pair of Bush SPK2025 Loudspeakers
HP Photosmart 7960 Inkjet Printer

That observation was reached not with benchmarks but with real time usage which to my mind is the only test worth doing.

When you're using a machine you just know when it's fast and responsive.

I have used RAID 0 arrays using standard 7200rpm drives and have noticed no difference in performance in real time terms. However, when I've used benchmarks such as the ATTO standard all RAID 0 setups using standard disks showed significantly faster than a single disk setup.

Which led me to come to the conclusion:

'Benchmarks are usually a pile of twaddle'.

In my experience benchmarks just stroke a user's ego and the only real test is if you like the machine or not and consider it fast.

With videocards and games same rules apply, never mind frame rates, you soon notice if the game isn't running fluidly or if it staggers and stutters.

To Quote Bob: 'You don't need a weather vane to know which way the wind blows'.

There will be scores of articles in the near future dissing Win 7 using whatever figures the writer has to hand that work in his favour and the majority of the authors will have an obsession with the eight year old and outdated OS that is XP.

Either that or they will be a Linux obsessive.

It's fashionable to knock a new OS from MS and in ME's and Vista's case some of those criticisms were justified.

As far as I'm concerned the jury's still out on Win 7 but so far to me it's looking good.

This weekend if I get time I'll be putting an i7 system together for a friend of mine I will start a seperate thread on the build.

Unfortunately he wants XP for now and only wants to install Win 7 when it's finally released officially and is available in OEM version.

Can't say I blame him really but it does seem a shame for such a new system to be running XP.

I did talk him out of Vista, seems a waste of money now with Win 7 relatively close to an official release.

And I'll repeat again, I do actually like Vista but I will acknowledge it's shortcomings.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yer right about a persons perception of how a thing fits with them being more important than benchmarks Flops.
I was looking for facts like , will a video file recode quicker in XP than 7 etc etc , real world stuff. I might still give it a try if I have any time to spare after installing Mandy and it really depends on how many times Max and Ivan get killed.

nod.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im trucking along just fine on XP - no need to upgrade unless MS decieds p sabotage XP in order to move copies of Vista when its released...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Alf said:
Im trucking along just fine on XP - no need to upgrade unless MS decieds p sabotage XP in order to move copies of Vista when its released...

Are they still selling the Beta version of Vista then ?
laughingsmiley.gif

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Are they still selling the Beta version of Vista then ?
laughingsmiley.gif

Wait... what did i just say??
Half my comment doesnt make sense even to mee!! :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Alf said:
Wait... what did i just say??
Half my comment doesnt make sense even to mee!! :p

Should have read " Are they still selling the Beta version of Seven then ?
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question