XP And My Mouse

Alias

ajocius said:
Group,
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I double-click a
folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the Serarch Results box which
is what I would use if I wanted to fine a file or folder. But if I
right-click and select Open, the folder opens. What do I do to correct
this. I went to the Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting
that makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Have you tried a different mouse?

Alias

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

ajocius said:
Group,
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I double-click a
folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the Serarch Results box which
is what I would use if I wanted to fine a file or folder. But if I
right-click and select Open, the folder opens. What do I do to correct
this. I went to the Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable
setting that makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Search or Command Prompt opens when double clicking a folder
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

ajocius

Group,
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I double-click a
folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the Serarch Results box which
is what I would use if I wanted to fine a file or folder. But if I
right-click and select Open, the folder opens. What do I do to correct
this. I went to the Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting
that makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Uncle Grumpy

Alias said:
Have you tried a different mouse?

Keep up the good work. If you post bullshit replies like this often
enough, you TOO can be an MVP like Carey Frisch.

ajocius

Frank,
You are the man. It worked. Thank you so much for the reply and fix.
Take care and God Bless.

Tony

Michel Merlin

Thanks for this very useful fix.

Maybe you could help me for another one:
In "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\
Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0",
I want to reset the "Compact Check Count" to zero, with just
double-clicking a file.

Unfortunately with a REG file I know how to change a whole key,
not a single value. Maybe by just removing al but the said value
in the key? But for acting in Registry, I prefer asking than
trying.

If you could show me how to build the file for "Compact Check
Count", it would greatly help me (for this example and later
ones).

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 18:41:25 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Michel,

You can modify a single value using a .REG file.

See here:

How to add, modify, or delete registry subkeys and values by using a
registration entries (.reg) file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310516/

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

From: "ajocius" <[email protected]>
news://msnews.microsoft.com/[email protected]
Sent: Wed 14 Jun 2006 20:30:33 -0500 (Thu 15 Jun 01:30:33 GMT)

Group,
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Michel Merlin

Thanks Ramesh, but this only enables me to reset a whole *key*
(for instance the whole OE key); I would like to reset only the
"Compact Check Count" *value*.

This is what I do:

Start > Run > RegEdit >
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\
Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0

The above is the path for the OE *key*; then in the right pane
I highlight the name of the Compact Check Count *value*.
Then "File > Export" and:

C:\My_Apps\Outlook Express\OE_No-Compact.reg"

but that file is 47KB and contains the whole OE key; if I
execute it later, it will obviously overwrite my whole OE key,
which I don't want at all; I want to be able later to overwrite
*only the Compact Check Count value*.

May be I can do that by empying the 47KB file from everything
unless the involved line:

"Compact Check Count"=dword:00000001

but before altering the Registry I would like to be sure, not to
try. Do you know how I do? TIA,

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 23:31:40 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:

From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:

From: "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:

From: "ajocius" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:
Sent: Wed 14 Jun 2006 20:30:33 -0500 (Thu 15 Jun 01:30:33 GMT)

Group,
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Michel Merlin

I mean, I have cleaned the 47KB "OE_No-Compact.reg" file, so its
size and contents are now just 374 bytes and:

--- OE_No-Compact.reg BEG ---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{guid}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]
"Compact Check Count"=dword:00000000
--- OE_No-Compact.reg END ---

Can I safely double-click that "OE_No-Compact.reg" file each
time I want to reset the "Compact Check Count" to zero, and
remain sure that this will alter nothing else in the OE key?

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 23:53:10 +0200

I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Michel,

Did you read the whole article? Use this REG file:

- - -

From: "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:

From: "Michel Merlin" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:

From: "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:

From: "ajocius" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup:
Sent: Wed 14 Jun 2006 20:30:33 -0500 (Thu 15 Jun 01:30:33 GMT)

Michel Merlin said:
Thanks for this very useful fix.

Maybe you could help me for another one:
In "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\
Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0",
I want to reset the "Compact Check Count" to zero, with just
double-clicking a file.

Unfortunately with a REG file I know how to change a whole key,
not a single value. Maybe by just removing al but the said value
in the key? But for acting in Registry, I prefer asking than
trying.

If you could show me how to build the file for "Compact Check
Count", it would greatly help me (for this example and later
ones).

Paris, Fri 1 Sep 2006 18:41:25 +0200

This one should work, although with the one Ramesh gave it would be more
specifically for WinXP:
Save the parts between the lines as compactCount.reg
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0]
"Compact Check Count"=dword:00000000

Note that both mine and Ramesh' have a blank line at the end.
Close OE, right click compactCount.reg and choose Merge.
Also note that with the updates for OE that you have the Compact Check Count
will be set to zero every time you do a File | Folder | Compact All.

Michel Merlin

Thanks Robear

However after some experience in the past years I don't want to
execute programs coming from MS NGs afficionados when they are
published without even an explanation - if not, as here, with in
addition a disclaimer excluding any responsibility; there is too
high probability that this is fast-written little-thought code.

This one of the reasons why I would prefer a REG file. Of course
if not sure mine is harmless, I would think of using your VBS,
but please in this case provide more arguments for its
reliability and unharmlessness.

PS. Franck's later reply meanwhile released the fear I could
have to execute my REG file, so I will chose the REG.

Paris, Sat 2 Sep 2006 11:35:35 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
From: "PA Bear" <[email protected]>
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Message: Sent: Fri 1 Sep 2006 18:30:56 -0400 (22:30:56 GMT)
Subject: Re: I mean a single VALUE, without altering the rest
of the KEY

Should I mention?...

OE - Reset Compact Check Count to 0 (Line 367, Left)

Nah. <w>

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Michel Merlin

1) « the one Ramesh gave »
is in facts *the one Michel Merlin gave*.

MS "volunteers" seem to be in a bad case of NIHS
(Not Invented Here Syndrom).

2)
« Note that both mine and Ramesh' have a blank line at the end.
Close OE, right click compactCount.reg and choose Merge »

Thanks for these 2 infos, very useful to me:

- I hadn't noticed the blank line at end;
- learning that there is a choice for "Merge" makes me
more comfortable executing that file of mine (even if
some risk remain anyway given experience...).

Paris, Sat 2 Sep 2006 11:36:25 +0200

Michel Merlin said:
1) « the one Ramesh gave »
is in facts *the one Michel Merlin gave*.

No they aren't. His has a blank line at the end and yours doesn't.
MS "volunteers" seem to be in a bad case of NIHS
(Not Invented Here Syndrom).

2)
« Note that both mine and Ramesh' have a blank line at the end.
Close OE, right click compactCount.reg and choose Merge »

Thanks for these 2 infos, very useful to me:

- I hadn't noticed the blank line at end;
- learning that there is a choice for "Merge" makes me
more comfortable executing that file of mine (even if
some risk remain anyway given experience...).

Paris, Sat 2 Sep 2006 11:36:25 +0200

I don't know why we put a blank line at the end. Just that everybody does.

BTW, here's a cute little Reg file I produced last century.

Michel Merlin

I keep in my records that you are allowing anyone to take a file
from you and, if he finds a character that he can harmlessly
change (for instance adding a blank line), even if not
apparently useful ("I don't know why we put a blank line at the
end"), then he can omit to cite you, and present himself as the
only author instead.

This surprised me about you.

Paris, Sat 2 Sep 2006 13:21:25 +0200

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----
is in facts *the one Michel Merlin gave*.

No they aren't. His has a blank line at the end and yours
doesn't.

I don't know why we put a blank line at the end. Just that
everybody does.

BTW, here's a cute little Reg file I produced last century.
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\shell]
@="edit"

It changes the default action for double clicking a REG file to
edit instead of merge. Since it starts with REGEDIT4 it will
work on all Windows versions. (Those starting with "Windows
Registry Editor Version 5.00" won't work in Win9x.)

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Reply in newsgroup
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary
security, deserve neither liberty or security"

----- Parent Message (links are clickable) -----

I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Ramesh, MS-MVP

And I am sure you did read my own message - since you are copying the REG
I did not see your 3rd post (which contained a .REG info) when I replied. Be
assured that I did not copy *your* REG file and present it to you.

Do you think creating a REG file is a big invention?

Yes, no other values will be altered.

From: "ajocius" <[email protected]>
news://msnews.microsoft.com/[email protected]
Sent: Wed 14 Jun 2006 20:30:33 -0500 (Thu 15 Jun 01:30:33 GMT)

Group,
I have XP Home and my mouse act a bit funny. When I
double-click a folder, instead of opening the folder, I get the
Serarch Results box which is what I would use if I wanted to
fine a file or folder. But if I right-click and select Open,
the folder opens. What do I do to correct this. I went to the
Logitech driver and could not find a reasonable setting that
makes this happen. Your thoughts on fixing this problem.

Tony

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Posting a question, asking for help, and then suddenly making a wrong
accusation about someone who is trying to help. This surprised me about you.