Wrong icons being displayed

G

I'm having a problem where all my JPGs are displayed with the wrong icon... they show with the icon of an totaly un-related application
I have re-associated the file type with the correct application (IE6.0 in this case) but the icons on my desktop still display the wrong ico
When i try to launch a JPG file, it opens correctly with IE, the problem seems to be simply the icon associated with the file type, not the application

any ideas?

R

roger

Hi,

I'm having a problem where all my JPGs are displayed with the wrong icon... they show with the icon of an totaly un-related application.
I have re-associated the file type with the correct application (IE6.0 in this case) but the icons on my desktop still display the wrong icon
When i try to launch a JPG file, it opens correctly with IE, the problem seems to be simply the icon associated with the file type, not the application.

any ideas?

TweakUI, which is part of Windows XP Power Toys, has a feature to
repair icons. You might try this.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

Good luck

G

goldj

Roger,

I tried runing the TweakUI repair and it didn't work.
where does WindowsXP store its icon information for JPG files? I imagine if
i clear and rebuild this it might help
any other ideas?

jgold

roger said:
seems to be simply the icon associated with the file type, not the
application.

R

roger

Hi,

You could try right-clicking a jpg file, choosing open with, selecting
the application whose icon you want to be associated with the file,
and checking 'Always open this file with this program.'

You mentioned you tried to reassociate. I take it you went to Folder
Options > File Type, scrolled to the jpg file and selected IE to open
with.

Good luck

Try going to On Tue, 25 May 2004 12:38:52 -0700, "goldj"

D

David Candy

Nope. If tweakui didn't reset it there is nothing wrong with it (although you very rarely may need to reboot to see the effect).

How about stating the problem, what icon? what app? how did you reset an association (I suspect you in fact haven't - just because it opens in IE does NOT mean (though it can mean) you reset the association)?

Ask a Question