Would You Buy A Refurbed Printer From The Manufacturer?

William R. Walsh

Hi!

Almost without a doubt. I've bought a wide variety of refurbished products
(often at a significant cost savings) and never had any trouble.

Some of the stuff that comes out as refurbished may still be perfectly new.
Other stuff is usually a result of customer returns/mistaken orders/etc...it
gets cleaned up, repackaged and sold. Other stuff might be remanufactured or
reconditioned, but is usually sold as such and not as refurbished. In any
case, it is my belief that the manufacturer really doesn't want to see it
come back again, so they'll do a good job of fixing it up before it goes off
to be sold.

William

mark_digital©

justin david said:
...with a one year warranty?

It's been my experience a respected merchant will do much better for you
than dealing with the manufacturer. Directly dealing with HP and Canon
resulted in replacements equal to or far worst than the product I was
returning. If this is their idea of refurbished, then my answer is no. I
would not buy a second hand printer even if they swore on a stack of bibles
it was purchased and immediately returned.

Jan Alter

or
(e-mail address removed)12.pa.us
mark_digital© said:
It's been my experience a respected merchant will do much better for you
than dealing with the manufacturer. Directly dealing with HP and Canon
resulted in replacements equal to or far worst than the product I was
returning. If this is their idea of refurbished, then my answer is no. I
would not buy a second hand printer even if they swore on a stack of
bibles it was purchased and immediately returned.
Over the years I've probably bought 5 or 6 Epson refurbished printers. Each
one has behaved as in 'new' condition. Additionally Epson gives the printer
the same one year warranty that they give to their regular new printers. So
I qualify that perhaps it depends on what company is selling you a
refurbished printer, but if it's an Epson printer you're talking about and
the price is right for you, then go for it.

justin david

or
(e-mail address removed)12.pa.us

Over the years I've probably bought 5 or 6 Epson refurbished printers. Each
one has behaved as in 'new' condition. Additionally Epson gives the printer
the same one year warranty that they give to their regular new printers. So
I qualify that perhaps it depends on what company is selling you a
refurbished printer, but if it's an Epson printer you're talking about and
the price is right for you, then go for it.

Thanks for the replies; it is an Epson 1800 that has a full one year
limited warranty although there are no exchanges- only if the product
is defective for the same model; the printer appears to be coming down
in price. New Egg has it for $498 free shipping and Epson has it
refurbed for $465 free shipping. I'm wondering if the refurb might
come shipped in perfect working condition and tweaked by the techs as
opposed to a new model that might actually have problems because it
hasn't been tested yet. It's almost a toss up... I'm thinking of
buying their extended one year warranty for 40 dollars which would
make it $5 more than the New Egg but give me an additional year of
coverage, but I'm not sure if Epson will do an extended warranty with
refurbs. Happy New Year.

TJ

justin said:
...with a one year warranty?

No problem here. My HP PSC 2110 was a factory-refurbished model, sold by
Office Max three years ago. It's worked fine under varying amounts of
use since then. The first year saw the heaviest use, and there were no
problems. There have been a couple of minor bumps in the last year, but
then you might get that with any printer from any manufacturer after
that amount of use and time.

TJ

Jan Alter

justin david said:
Thanks for the replies; it is an Epson 1800 that has a full one year
limited warranty although there are no exchanges- only if the product
is defective for the same model; the printer appears to be coming down
in price. New Egg has it for $498 free shipping and Epson has it
refurbed for $465 free shipping. I'm wondering if the refurb might
come shipped in perfect working condition and tweaked by the techs as
opposed to a new model that might actually have problems because it
hasn't been tested yet. It's almost a toss up... I'm thinking of
buying their extended one year warranty for 40 dollars which would
make it $5 more than the New Egg but give me an additional year of
coverage, but I'm not sure if Epson will do an extended warranty with
refurbs. Happy New Year.

Your call, but I don't think you have to worry about getting an excellent
running machine whether it's refurbished or 'new'. As for the extended
warranty I would give it the same credence as getting an extended warranty
on a Toyota; meaning the R1800 is made quite well.
I've been using a R1800 for a year and a half now with no problems. It has
proved a wonderful printer, with the only exception of it having small ink
tanks (about 11 cc ). The cost of ink is almost to the point of being
extravagent. I would not use it for much text printing. But I'm sure you
know that already. I've gone to the degree of filling using spongeless
cartridges, and that has saved me a small fortune and still given me the
benefits of what it the printer has to offer. I think you'll be very pleased
with what the printer has to offer.

measekite

No need to be foolish. Most of the time when printers and other items
are on sale you can get a brand new for just a few bucks more. No need
to get someone elses headaches. Many electronic products act up
intermittently and being refurbish does not always catch the problem.
To save a minor amount is penny wise and pound foolish. Remember the
song Only Fools Rush In.

measekite

mark_digital© wrote:

"justin david" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

...with a one year warranty?

It's been my experience a respected merchant will do much better for you than dealing with the manufacturer. Directly dealing with HP and Canon resulted in replacements equal to or far worst than the product I was returning. If this is their idea of refurbished, then my answer is no. I would not buy a second hand printer even if they swore on a stack of bibles it was purchased and immediately returned.

Oh Yeah

William R. Walsh

Hi!
No need to be foolish. Most of the time when printers and other items
are on sale you can get a brand new for just a few bucks more.

Sometimes. I recently bought a brand new HP Photosmart C5180 for $159. HP is
now selling refurbs for $10 more. So in that case it would make sense to buy
new, if you can find the new one at that price.
No need to get someone elses headaches.

One of many refurbished products I have is an HP ScanJet 3300C. It still
works great, and I use it a lot. Of course, it probably helps that I don't
use aftermarket ink. ;-)

Oh, and new products can be troublesome too. I actually had to take the
first Photosmart back, as it was stuck in manufacturing mode and would not
come out. I had hoped HP tech support could tell me how to take it out of
that mode. Instead, they were clueless.

William

TJ

measekite said:
One that buys a refurbished printer should use refurbished ink.
Well, I do use refurbished (a.k.a. recycled) paper. Got some free from
Office Max for turning in some used-up HP #29 printer carts for them to
refurbish a while back.

TJ

Taliesyn

justin said:
...with a one year warranty?

Canon sent me a refurbished printer to replace one with a bum paper
feed. The original printer lasted all of one month (it's printhead was
bum also and failed). The refurbished printer is still working perfectly
two years later, as is the replacement printhead, used exclusively with
aftermarket refill ink.

-Taliesyn

justin david

Canon sent me a refurbished printer to replace one with a bum paper
feed. The original printer lasted all of one month (it's printhead was
bum also and failed). The refurbished printer is still working perfectly
two years later, as is the replacement printhead, used exclusively with
aftermarket refill ink.

-Taliesyn

I found the printer at J&R for $17 more than the refurb, complete. I
think the week between Christmas and New Years might be a good time to
buy anything.

SamSez

I found the printer at J&R for $17 more than the refurb, complete. I
think the week between Christmas and New Years might be a good time to
buy anything.

Sorry, am I not typing loud enough? $439.99 NIB at Best Buy. Hello?

Jan Alter

SamSez said:
Sorry, am I not typing loud enough? $439.99 NIB at Best Buy. Hello?

Yes, most people heard you. It's a terrific price. Like reading the
newspaper, few folks look for the good news to discuss. They'd rather fart
around with alternatives, their own experiences and even more fulfilling,
the negatives. But just to get us on track: perhaps the OP could go buy the
printer at Best Buy, and it not work and so have to have Epson send a
refurbished one. There, the best of both worlds. And at this juncture
someone writes in that it would be better to get a Canon.

justin david

Sorry, am I not typing loud enough? $439.99 NIB at Best Buy. Hello?

Hey Sam, You were typing loud enough; I saw that earlier, but because
I live in a state that has a Best Buy, and because that deal was
online order only, it would have cost more given I would need to pay
sales tax and shipping charges. That must have been a 24 hour sale
because now the Best Buy price for the R1800 is $522.

measekite

justin david wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 20:54:43 -0500, Taliesyn <[email protected]> wrote:

justin david wrote:

...with a one year warranty?

Canon sent me a refurbished printer to replace one with a bum paper feed. The original printer lasted all of one month (it's printhead was bum also and failed). The refurbished printer is still working perfectly two years later, as is the replacement printhead, used exclusively with aftermarket refill ink. -Taliesyn

I found the printer at J&R for $17 more than the refurb, complete. I think the week between Christmas and New Years might be a good time to buy anything.

Just like I said.  You cannot listen to kids that lie.