Would You Buy A Refurbed Printer From The Manufacturer?

SamSez

Hey Sam, You were typing loud enough; I saw that earlier, but because
I live in a state that has a Best Buy, and because that deal was
online order only, it would have cost more given I would need to pay
sales tax and shipping charges. That must have been a 24 hour sale
because now the Best Buy price for the R1800 is $522.

The deal was not on line only -- it was in-store also [at least in PA and
DE]. I walked out with one for a friend. And the price was for the week
through Saturday [though now expired as you note...].

But CompUSA [both on line and in-store] STILL has the R1800 for $549.99
with a $100 gift card 'rebate' [good for all that paper you'll need...].
STILL a better deal than the refurb, and good through 1/6/07.

DJT

Hi!

Sometimes. I recently bought a brand new HP Photosmart C5180 for $159. HP is
now selling refurbs for $10 more. So in that case it would make sense to buy
new, if you can find the new one at that price.

One of many refurbished products I have is an HP ScanJet 3300C. It still
works great, and I use it a lot. Of course, it probably helps that I don't
use aftermarket ink. ;-)

Oh, and new products can be troublesome too. I actually had to take the
first Photosmart back, as it was stuck in manufacturing mode and would not
come out. I had hoped HP tech support could tell me how to take it out of
that mode. Instead, they were clueless.

William
Sounds familiar, I bought a refurbished HP Deskjet 5160 several years
ago and it is still going strong even with refilled cartridges.

I bought a new PSC 1610 recently and it had to be replaced under
warranty. The catridge for that one ran out of ink twice before it was
indicated as empty. I put ink in it twice but it failed fully when the
indicator said it was finally empty.

This time I will start refilling it earlier

DJT

TJ

justin said:
...with a one year warranty?

A very interesting question, the more you think about it. I see several
opinions here, mostly falling into two camps that rely on general
principles. Essentially, one camp says no because one of these printers
is more likely than new to have a problem, and the price differential,
if any, isn't worth the risk. Members of the other camp have taken the
risk, and most are at least satisfied. Neither side is likely to change
the other's position.

Citing personal experience won't do it. Even though I see posts in this
thread from people who have purchased refurbed printers with no troubles
and people that have purchased new *with* troubles, and I've *not* seen
any from anybody who's purchased a refurb *with* troubles, the
"new-only" camp remains steadfast. And if a sudden rash of posters come
forward with refurb problems, the "refurbs are OK" camp will say, "well
*I* didn't have any problem." It's a dilemma, to be sure.

Maybe independent outside information is needed. Surely somebody
somewhere has investigated the likelihood of getting a bad piece of
equipment each way, and has published hard statistics on the failure
rates. Maybe a magazine like Measekite's beloved PC Mag. How about it?
Can anybody show us one?

TJ

mike.j.harvey

measekite said:
No need to be foolish.

You really fancy yourself as the Wise Old Man of comp.periphs.printers,
don't you?

You seem to have branched out from just trolling threads about 3rd
party inks, so that now you sound off on any thread which involves
saving money.

You just like raining on people's parades, basically.

Other readers should be aware that Measekite does not actually have any
knowledge of this topic; he just likes pontificating. Ignore him.

justin david

Hey Sam, You were typing loud enough; I saw that earlier, but because
I live in a state that has a Best Buy, and because that deal was
online order only, it would have cost more given I would need to pay
sales tax and shipping charges. That must have been a 24 hour sale
because now the Best Buy price for the R1800 is $522.

The deal was not on line only -- it was in-store also [at least in PA and
DE]. I walked out with one for a friend. And the price was for the week
through Saturday [though now expired as you note...].

But CompUSA [both on line and in-store] STILL has the R1800 for $549.99
with a $100 gift card 'rebate' [good for all that paper you'll need...].
STILL a better deal than the refurb, and good through 1/6/07.

I telephoned the store in Manhattan and was told online purchase only,
but maybe I was dealing with the wrong sales rep. I went to CompUSA
yesterday, and spoke to the Epson rep there and he told me about the
rebate. He also said Epson had a $50 additional rebate on its site
for the 1800, but the only one I could find was $50 off with the
purchase of a digital camera. I'm within $10 from the cheapest price
at the moment, so I can't kick myself too hard. Where do you buy your
inks, Sam? I found a full package of OEM Epson carts for the R1800
and the price was $99.92 at:

http://www.pictureline.com/category.php?mid=30&cid=340

but was hoping to find them somewhere for a bit less than that.
Cheers, and Happy New Year.

measekite

I do not know why idiots like to say that others have no knowledge when they disagree with them.

justin david wrote:

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 01:28:38 GMT, SamSez <[email protected]> wrote:

justin david <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

[...]

That is a good price.  Glad to see you are using Epson ink.

[...]

I usually buy from B&H. $95.95 currently for the full OEM cart set.
Perhaps not the cheapest, but where I live, they usually get to me
overnight with standard UPS -- and everything I need [including paper
varieties] is usually in-stock.

Edwin Pawlowski

TJ said:
A very interesting question, the more you think about it. I see several
opinions here, mostly falling into two camps that rely on general
principles. Essentially, one camp says no because one of these printers is
more likely than new to have a problem, and the price differential, if
any, isn't worth the risk. Members of the other camp have taken the risk,
and most are at least satisfied. Neither side is likely to change the
other's position.

What risk? What some take into consideration is that some "refurbished"
units are band new, never been opened boxes. It is common knowledge that
manufacturers often make "irregulars" that are perfect, but just marked that
way so they can be sold a lower prices and not piss off the regular retail
sales chain. Clothing, tools, electronics, are often marketed as refurbs.
They can be a very good buy.

SamSez

What risk? What some take into consideration is that some
"refurbished" units are band new, never been opened boxes. It is
common knowledge that manufacturers often make "irregulars" that are
perfect, but just marked that way so they can be sold a lower prices
and not piss off the regular retail sales chain. Clothing, tools,
electronics, are often marketed as refurbs. They can be a very good
buy.

Volume 'refurb' sales [along with major step cuts in retail prices] can
also sometimes signal the end of a model run, handled so neither the
maker nor the resellers wind up with excess out-dated stock.

Though I'm not saying this is the case here or in any other particular
sale...

Taliesyn

measekite said:
I do not know why idiots like to say that others have no knowledge when
they disagree with them.

Why not, YOU do it all the time! It works both says, junior.

-Taliesyn

TJ

Edwin said:
What risk? What some take into consideration is that some "refurbished"
units are band new, never been opened boxes. It is common knowledge that
manufacturers often make "irregulars" that are perfect, but just marked that
way so they can be sold a lower prices and not piss off the regular retail
sales chain. Clothing, tools, electronics, are often marketed as refurbs.
They can be a very good buy.

The "risk" may be perceived rather than real. Many of this thread's
posters believe that most "refurbished" equipment is stuff that's been
returned for one reason or another, and they think the usual reason is
that it is broken. Units that were returned and replaced under warranty,
then repaired, reboxed, and sold. They say there is an increased risk of
getting a bad printer this way.

That's what I'm asking. All we've heard here are perceptions, and a few
personal experiences. Very few, considering the number of new and
refurbished printers sold. I'm asking this: Is the failure rate of
refurbished printers really significantly higher that that of new, and
if so, by how much? I'm looking for the results of an independent study
of the question. Is there one? So far we're all just guessing.

When you come right down to it, the OP didn't have a risk, since he was
receiving a one year warranty. But still, there's the hassle of a
warranty return, and the lost time if you're without a printer because
of it. So there IS a risk. There's a similar risk with buying new. If
you're going to do a proper risk assessment, it's better to do so with
cold, hard facts rather than perceptions that might not hold water.

TJ

Taliesyn

measekite said:
Are you feelings hurt?

Hurt?... HURT?.... Are you nuts!!! I've saved several thousand dollars
by refilling or through generic cartridges in the last 10 or so years.
If any feeling are hurt their yours because refilling has me laughing
all the way to the bank. I'm saving money and getting quality at the
same time, exactly opposite of what you preach as "prime minister of OEM
inks" on a daily basis. That really bugs you, right? And my iP5000 just
celebrated its 2nd birthday, running perfectly and exclusively on
prefilled and home refills. Registration at Canon? Not a chance! Who
give a crap, I saved enough to buy a dozen replacement printers. My
feelings hurt?.... Can't you tell by the laughter at this end? . . . .

measekite

Taliesyn said:
Hurt?... HURT?.... Are you nuts!!! I've saved several thousand dollars
by refilling or through generic cartridges in the last 10 or so years.
Nobody is going to believe a kid who claims to have saved thousands of
dollars for children do not have that kind of money to spend in the
first place.
If any feeling are hurt their yours because refilling has me laughing
all the way to the bank.
I do not think you are old enough to have your own bank account
I'm saving money and getting quality at the
same time, exactly opposite of what you preach as "prime minister of
OEM inks" on a daily basis. That really bugs you, right?

Your constant replies indicate you are bugged
And my iP5000 just celebrated its 2nd birthday,

Did you get it a cake

Taliesyn

measekite said:
Nobody is going to believe a kid who claims to have saved thousands of
dollars for children do not have that kind of money to spend in the
first place.

By the way, you got difficulty reading English?

Where did I say I spent thousands? I SAVED thousands of dollars by not
having to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on OEM ink. My refill cost is about
$5 for refilling 5 cartridges. Am I old enough to have $5? You answer
that. But then it's really not a problem as I got my my Fisher-Price
"Gold Card". :)
I do not think you are old enough to have your own bank account

All banks have childrens accounts. Seems anyone claiming to be old
enough to be an adult would know that.
Your constant replies indicate you are bugged

Seems my keeping you in line bugs you. As long as you continue to
mislead, I'll be here . . . with all my 3 printers running aftermarket ink.
Did you get it a cake

Champagne.... with the money I saved, remember? Then we both went out
for a meal and a movie. Limousine, of course. Who paid? I did, from
interest in my childrens savings account at the bank! :)

What did you get yours, another expensive set of overpriced OEM
cartridges? Just hope your OEM printer maker sent you a Christmas card
for contributing money to the 3 or 4 Billion (?) or so dollars OEM
printer makers make per year selling ink.

-Taliesyn

-Taliesyn (who has more ink stockpiled than he knows what to do with!)

measekite

Taliesyn said:
By the way, you got difficulty reading English?

Where did I say I spent thousands? I SAVED thousands of dollars by not
having to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on OEM ink. My refill cost is about
$5 for refilling 5 cartridges. Am I old enough to have $5? You answer
that. But then it's really not a problem as I got my my Fisher-Price
"Gold Card". :) Boing struck a nerve

All banks have childrens accounts. Seems anyone claiming to be old
enough to be an adult would know that.

Seems my keeping you in line bugs you. As long as you continue to
mislead, I'll be here . . . with all my 3 printers running aftermarket
ink.

Champagne.... with the money I saved, remember?
But you are not old enough to drink

Taliesyn

measekite said:
But you are not old enough to drink

Now where did I indicate I drank it! It's inkjet compatible "Champagne"
for my printer.

-Taliesyn (who has more ink stockpiled than he knows what to do with!)

Jan Alter

TJ said:
[...]

There is minimal time lost in replacement from Epson should either a new
or refurbished unit have to be returned. I've got 80 Epson printers running
at our school which we have been accumulating since 1999. I've probably
purchased another ten Epsons for myself since 1990. In these 16 years I've
sent back probably two or three machines for repair among the total of 90
printers. Epson has gotten a replacement to me within less than a week in
each case, paying the shipping both ways. The irony of the situation is that
if one bought a new Epson R1800 and there was a problem that couldn't be
corrected and it had to be returned it would be replaced with a refurbished
one unless the original purchaser specifically expressed a repair of the one
sent. I don't recall the turn around time from Epson when the purchaser
wants the same printer back. The one year warranty would still be in affect
for the remainder of the time the original purchaser bought the new machine.
I can't speak for other printer companies, but my experience with Epson
seems to indicate that they are made quite well, new or refurbished, despite
the problems that the company has raised with its tactics to limit refilling
and higher usage of ink due to design and software programming.

measekite

Taliesyn said:
Now where did I indicate I drank it! It's inkjet compatible
"Champagne" for my printer.

-Taliesyn (who has more ink stockpiled than he knows what to do with!)
spoken like a true kid when Mommy is not around