World Community Grid

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What if each of the world’s estimated 650 million PCs could be linked to focus on solving critical real world problems?

This is exactly what World Community Grid has set out to do. Leveraging donated idle PC time from volunteers around the world, World Community Grid establishes a permanent, flexible infrastructure that provides researchers with a readily available pool of computational power.

World Community Grid’s first project, the Human Proteome Folding project, seeks to help identify the functions of the proteins that are coded by human genes. Future projects could support new and existing infectious disease research, researching cures for HIV and AIDS, as well as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), malaria and others. In addition, World Community Grid applications can help researchers and scientists with earthquake predictions, improving crop yields and evaluating the supply of critical natural resources like water.

World Community Grid is making its technology available only to public and not-for-profit organizations to use in humanitarian research that might otherwise not be completed due to the high cost of the computer infrastructure required in the absence of a public grid. As part of WCG's commitment to advancing human welfare, all results will be in the public domain and made public to the global research community.

The World Community Grid welcomes research proposals from organizations in developing countries and seeks volunteers willing to donate their idle PC time in support of this worthwhile endeavor.

Join "The PCReview Crew II team" today and put you idle PC to some real work.

Ask a Question