Workstation cannot enumerate network

M5Net

I have a problem with a W2k Pro workstation. It can't
enumerate the network resources. Other workstations,
both W2k Pro and XP Pro can see and map printers and
shares from the Win2k Server and other workstations.
This workstation can't drill down into the network
neighborhood, cant add a printer by browsing, it just
hangs. Double clicking on the Domain icon just hangs.

I can get drives mapped by running a login script, but
couldn't get 'net use' to map the port.

I have SP4 on the system, with all the MS updates. I
need to share a printer that is shared off a
workstation.

Thanks for any help,
M5

Gary Fose [MSFT]

First thing I do in a situation like this where other machines work and one doesn't is to do an
ipconfig /all > (computername).txt on one that works properly and the one that doesn't. Print
those two ipconfigs out and compare them side by side. They should be EXACTLY the same
except for computer name, IP and MAC address (and possibly the adapter). But if anything
else if different, then you may have found the problem. Remember, line by line and compare
settings. I know if sounds elementary but it works. Any printing them out ensures you are
making a good comparrison.

You did not say if this is a domain or a workgroup setting. If a workgroup setting, how many
nodes (computers and printers) are in this workgroup? If it is a workgroup setting, check the
Identification of the problem computer and make sure it is in the same workgroup as the
others (remember, the workgroup spelling is case sensative).

If the above do not resolve your issue, then look for any antivirus software or firewall software
on the problem computer. Likely that is interferign with it being accessible on the network.
Have seen this happen quite often. Uninstall the software and if everything is ok, contact the
software vendor for resolution.

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "M5Net" <[email protected]>
'--'Sender: "M5Net" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Workstation cannot enumerate network
'--'Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 23:03:11 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.