Workgroup PC to Print to a Domain Printer

Alexander Nicholas

Is there any way for a workgroup Windows 2000 client to
print to a domain printer.

Vincent P. Reggiannini

Any PC can print to a shared network printer, even if it's not officially
logged into the domain.

I have a Windows XP Home laptop that prints to a Windows 2000 Domain
controller with no problems. I did have to create a USer Account in the
Active Directory that matched the XP Home's local logon account, but that
worked fine.

You should just be able to connect to the printer (provided it's shared)
through UNC (i.e.: \\ServerName\Printer)

Scott

So how did you add the XP Home local logon account to AD?
I can load a printer on to a non domain users laptop and
they can use it until they logoff and log back on. When
they log on the printer says access denied.

Vincent P. Reggiannini

I've gotten around this by simply making a username in the AD that matches
the User Account on the XP Home machine. The XP Home machine doesn't
officially 'log into' the AD, but it's user account will still be recognized
by the Domain Controller.

The domains I'e worked with aren't super-secure, so maybe that has a lot to
do with it. I'm sure someone will be able to explain the nuts and bolts of
it, but I've been successfuly doing this.

The AD is simply an easier way to store massive amounts of information about
User Accounts, Computers, Printers, Shared Folders and other network
resources. The AD allows you tyo centralize all that info. Computers that
log into that domain then have access to browsing the information through
AD.

If your WorkGroup name is the same as your Domian name, all the resources
available on the network will show up in "Network Places" (in a perfect
world that is) but when you try to access them the AD Controller basically
asks "Who the hell are you?". If you've logged onto that AD then that
question has already been answered. If you're not logged in, it should ask
you that same question via a Username and Password Prompt.

You can either manually enter this info in, or write a small batch file that
runs on startup (i.e. "net use \\server\resource password /user:Username) or
do like I said initially and just create an account in AD that matches your
XP Home machine's login creditrials (no blank passwords, please).