Printer Access

I have a few computers that are a member of a workground instaed of our
doamin. I want them tobe able to print to one of our printers installed on
our domain controller. How can I access this right other than making the
workgroup a member of the domain. This is a common request especialy when
auditors come in.

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi,

When users try to access any resource on a Domain, they will be prompted
for Authentication if they are not logging on to the domain. This is a
by-design security feature in all windows operating systems like Windows
NT/2000/2003/XP.
There is no way to bypass this.
Some workarounds can be used which are as follows:-
1) Keeping a batch file in startup on the local machine. This batch file
would map the share on the print server.However, a batch file would have
password stored in clear text.
2) Setting up the printer directly on each client using Standard TCP/IP
Port was another option. This would bypass the Print server.
3) Each Client user would have a User id on system's local SAM database.
The same id needs to be created on the Print Server's SAM database.
Password should be the same on both the Client and the server. In this case
when the user tries to access the resource on the Print Server, the id and
password of the client machine gets submitted to the server. Since it
matches, the user is allowed access to the resource.

Best regards,

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

that others
may learn and benefit from this issue.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,and confers no rights.