workgroup files and 2007

K

keith jones

I have recently converted an old Access 2 application to Access 2003. It used a
..mda work group file, and access 2003 had no problem using that file and dealing with the user/password login using a shortcut pointing at the old workgroup (mda) file. Now I have been asked to look into moving to Access 2007. Firstly when opening the mdb file in 2007 I get the normal permissions error. So again I tried to use the shortcut method. However this gives me the 'cannot open the workgroup information file' error 3358. Am I right in assuming this is because it is a mda rather than a mdw? Is there a way to recreate the mda as mdw?

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

J

Joan Wild

Security has been dropped in 2007. It is still supported if you keep the
mdb format, but it isn't for the new accdb format.

You should be able to use a shortcut to open the mdw. I am surprised you
had no problems using a version 2.0 mda in 2003. Others have reported
issues.

You could try and convret the mda to a mdw using 2003 and see if that works.

K

keith jones

Thanks for the reply. As you suggested I tried to convert the mda to a mdw using the convert option on the tools menu of Access 2003, however it keeps saying the mda file is corrupt. I tried to repair it but it made no different. I have also copied the file and attempted to do the same processes on the copy. Then in Access 2 I tried to create a blank mda and import in all the objects from my mda (with the intention of converting the new mda) but when I get to the MSysAccounts table it says 'Invalid name'. I even tried just copying and renaming the mda to a mdw. Interestingly this appeared to work for 2003 but in 2007 I get the 'Cannot open the Microsoft Jet engine workgroup information file. (Error 3358)" which I assume mean it does not recognise my copied file as an mdw. Any help would be much appreciated.

EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
http://www.eggheadcafe.com

J

Joan Wild

I didn't really think it would work, converting from 2.0. I would unsecure
it, and then resecure in 2003 with a fresh mdw.

Ask a Question