Word Word documents randomly gets too big

Reaction score
Word documents randomly gets too big. Details are as follow. There are 3 transcriptions that type documents and save them in shared folder in windows 2003server. Each day few documents size grows to 18.1 MB. Actual size document should be 50to 60 KB.

All transcriptions use the same version (office xp) of word. One solution was to open the document on the server and make a change (just add space to a line) and save it. This would drop the size to 160 kb, still too big but acceptable. Then one day I just copy and paste the document and saved again and the size went down to 45KB. Documents are mostly 1 or 2 pages long. All documents are created with the same template that has graphic (logo or letterhead).

I have checked for following solution but problem still linger.

Fast Saves: Disabled

Preview Picture: off

Versions Automatically save version off.
Revisions
Embedded True Type

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I used to get the same problem with Word 2003, sometimes my documents would grow to over 100MB and yet if I copied and pasted it into a new document it would be under 10MB. The bloat of word files is a well known problem, and I don't appear to get it in the new Office 2007 .docx format.

The suggestions half way down this page might work for you (it says for Word 2000, but they still apply):

http://www.jeanweber.com/news/tenews35.htm

Ask a Question