word crashes

Genice

when i start up word, 90% of the time, word crashes and will not start up
until multiple attemps have been made. this is happening on all five of my
computers running vista ultimate (never happened before the vista upgrade).
here is the problem details - ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WINWORD.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014
App Timestamp: 45428028
Fault Module Name: StackHash_bdb8
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Additional Info 1: bdb8
Additional Info 2: 9635456791d17a596203d1011b402d20
Additional Info 3: 8005
Additional Info 4: da3facc5f2de1c4c40df2d45040b71fc

Matija Hrovat

I was not able to find the post in the word newsgroup so I am replying here.

Look at your event viewer logs if there is any information about why word is
hanging.

My best bet would be that a 3rd party add-in is causing the issue.
Do you have any software installed from Nuance software ?
If so, some programs are not supported under Vista 64bit editions.
http://knowledgebase.nuance.com/view.asp?60VQ=JMHG&5d7r4B=8v56n
Try disabling the Nuance, SoftSoft, PDF add-ins and see if the issue
returns.

Related articles:

Other possible culprits:
http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq11.asp

Event Viewer
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1bcadb98-7479-4fad-82dd-7f30a80dfa4f1033.mspxHow to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word 2007,Word 2003, or Word 2002 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=921541Enable or disable add-ins in Office programs http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100341271033.aspxI definitely agree with Andre to post your question in word newsgroups ifyou will have any additional issues.If you have any questions regarding my answer please let us know.Regards,Matija Hrovat"Genice" <[email protected]> wrote in messagewhen i start up word, 90% of the time, word crashes and will not start up> until multiple attemps have been made. this is happening on all five ofmy> computers running vista ultimate (never happened before the vistaupgrade).> here is the problem details - ANY help would be greatly appreciated.>> Problem Event Name: APPCRASH> Application Name: WINWORD.EXE> Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014> App Timestamp: 45428028> Fault Module Name: StackHash_bdb8> Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386> Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9> Exception Code: c0000374> Exception Offset: 000af1c9> OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1> Additional Info 1: bdb8> Additional Info 2: 9635456791d17a596203d1011b402d20> Additional Info 3: 8005> Additional Info 4: da3facc5f2de1c4c40df2d45040b71fc>

ray

when i start up word, 90% of the time, word crashes and will not start up
until multiple attemps have been made. this is happening on all five of my
computers running vista ultimate (never happened before the vista upgrade).
here is the problem details - ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WINWORD.EXE
Application Version: 12.0.4518.1014
App Timestamp: 45428028
Fault Module Name: StackHash_bdb8
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bdc9
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000af1c9
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Additional Info 1: bdb8
Additional Info 2: 9635456791d17a596203d1011b402d20
Additional Info 3: 8005
Additional Info 4: da3facc5f2de1c4c40df2d45040b71fc

You might want to install OpenOffice.org for work until you can sort out
the problem - it will most likely do all you need. It imports and exports
ms office files of various vintages and works pretty much like ms office.

zachd [MSFT]

So what happens if you uninstall the PDF extension on the system or upgrade
to Office SP1?
Is ZnWordAddIn.dll on your system? What directory is it in?

Genice

thank you for your advice, i am downloading it now and will follow-up with
the results.

juliaitaly

Have you resolved this issue? I am having the same trouble on a new computer
and all I get from Microsoft is to update to Office 2007!

falkunmalti

Hi
I had a similar problem and I think I have resolved it. I have Paperport (a
Nuance product) installed which was causing these crashes I finally figured
out. What I did yesterday was to disable the addin for Paperport and the
addins for Word, Excel and Powerpoint. The only functionality you lose is
the integrated toolbar. You can still create pdf files by choosing the pdf
printer. Here is how I did it, change program names and paths to suit your
situation:

from start menu go to pdf converter assistant==>file==>preferences==>uncheck
"word" "excel" etc. if required

b. go to control panel==>user account control==>turn off

c. reboot

d. from start menu search type run and then copy the following command to
command line box in order to remove pdf add-ins from office (keep the
quotes): substitute H: with your vista volume.
regsvr32 /u "H:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Create 4\PDF
Driver\OfficeAddIn\ZnWordAddIn.dll"

e. restore user account control, if you wish.

It seems to have done the trick for me, good luck.

zachd [MSFT]

Are you having the exact same fault information according to the Problem
Reports and Solutions Center control panel? If so, falkunmalti's advice
should be spot on - the ZnWordAddin.dll is not your friend here.

If not - what *is* your specific fault information according to that control
panel?