Word as e-mail editor

I have loaded Office XP onto a new computer, using XP Media Centre as the
platform.

I have opted to use Word as my e-mail editor, but when I click on 'New' a
window pops up with the message "This form requires Word as your e-mail
editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The form will be opened
in the Outlook editor instead." Clicking 'OK' opens an Outlook editor blank
message and removes the check mark from the Word editor selector in the
Options menu.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office without luck.

Any ideas?

Brian Tillman

Foxed of Farnborough said:
I have opted to use Word as my e-mail editor, but when I click on
'New' a window pops up with the message "This form requires Word as
your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy or cannot be found. The
form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead." Clicking 'OK'
opens an Outlook editor blank message and removes the check mark from
the Word editor selector in the Options menu.

The Microsoft Knowledgebase is your friend.

Although Brian Tillman's suggestion was the obvious one, the solution
proposed in the Knowledge Database did not work.

The new computer came with a full 2003 version of Office XP Standard, ready
for purchase and registration. Since I have the 2002 Professional version, I
did not activate the later version, I merely loaded mine over the top.

It seems that this is where the problems started, because as I was
installing 2002, 2003 was kicking in, trying to get me to register it.

Removing both versions and reinstalling just the 2002 version has solved the
problem.

Brian Tillman

Foxed of Farnborough said:
The new computer came with a full 2003 version of Office XP Standard,

Huh? Office XP contains Outlook and Word 2002. Office 2003 is a later
version.
ready for purchase and registration. Since I have the 2002
Professional version, I did not activate the later version, I merely
loaded mine over the top.

Oops. You must uninstall the later version first.

Vanguard

"Foxed of Farnborough" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Although Brian Tillman's suggestion was the obvious one, the solution
proposed in the Knowledge Database did not work.

The new computer came with a full 2003 version of Office XP Standard,
ready
for purchase and registration. Since I have the 2002 Professional
version, I
did not activate the later version, I merely loaded mine over the top.

It seems that this is where the problems started, because as I was
installing 2002, 2003 was kicking in, trying to get me to register it.

Removing both versions and reinstalling just the 2002 version has
solved the
problem.

A lot of information which you never provided in your original post.
Don't expect users to guess at what you did. Tell them. Almost anyone
would've known the problem was you attemting to degrade to a prior
version without first uninstalling the later version. Programs *may*
(and only may but may not) be forward compatible. That means LATER
version may support most or all functionality in a prior version. Just
how could an earlier version provide full compatibility with later
versions that don't exist yet and haven't even yet been defined? If you
degrade, you better first get rid of the later version.

By the way, as Brian remarks, you are all screwed up in version
numbering. Office XP is the name of the *suite*, not of the individual
components therein. Each of the components within Office XP are version
2002. There is no component with version 2003 inside of the Office XP
suite. Seems rather peculiar that you would degrade if you truly got a
FULL version of Office 2003 pre-installed, or are you also leaving out
more details, like the pre-installed fluffware is expiring trialware and
you didn't want to waste you time learning and using a later version
that would disappear because you weren't going to waste you money on
getting a true full version to replace the trialware?