Word "Word 2003 has encontered a problem..."

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to PC Review. Anybody know how to fix this one?

I use MS Office 11, Word 2003 version 11.0.8202.0 (the latest update as far as I know). I use Word as the editor for MS Outlook, but Word stops responding any time after anything from 1 to 30 minutes. I lose any emails I'm writing.

Error signature:
AppName: winword.exe AppVer: 11.0.8202.0 AppStamp:47420667
ModName: winword.exe ModVer: 11.0.8202.0 ModStamp:47420667
fDebug: 0 Offset: 00074b49

Other system info:
AVG 7.5.516

I tried removing security update for Word 2003 KB943983, but it didn't make any difference. I also thought of removing Update for Office 2003 (KB945185): VBE6. But "This update cannot be removed".

I have a laptop with a virtually identical set-up and the same updates, but it doesn't suffer the same problem.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Did it ever use to work? ...perhaps try a 'System Restore' (in safe mode).
Tried reinstalling MS Word?

Reaction score
Have you tried the built in tool in office 2003 open word and click on help and then go to detect and repair.

I would recommend backing up your e-mails before you carry this out because it will set office 2003 back to its deafult settings.

Hope this helps.

wizkid

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.

Until now the system has worked well for 3 years or so. I tried 'detect & repair'. It didn't solve the problem. I also did a scan with TuneUp and a full scan with AVG just in case it was a malware.

I'll try a 'System Restore' (Good idea, Jason)

If it doesn't work, I think I might have to reinstall MS Word as Jason said, may be MS Office I guess - Not a job I'm looking forward to...

I'll let you know what happens..
Thanks

Reaction score
thank you

System Restored back to 8 Feb, all updates added.
Fantastic.. It works well. .. Sanity has returned (for the time being!)

Many thanks for the suggestions.:)

Reaction score
The same error started to happen again.

I finally found the problem. It was a conflict between Word 2003 (11.8202.8172) SP3 and Nuance/Scansoft PDF Converter Professional 4 PDF. The latest update of Word didn't like the Scansoft Toolbar shortcuts I had set in Word. I had been using that set-up for a year or more. I had to go to http://knowledgebase.nuance.com/family.asp to solve it.

In solving the above I seemed to upset Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1 and AVG 8.0.

A long story but it's OK now. I hope!!

Ask a Question