Word 2000 to Word 2010 - Differences?

croy

Where can I find a list of changes that someone migrating
from Word 2002 to Word 2010 would notice?

Suzanne S. Barnhill

2000 (per your subject line) or 2002 (per your message body)? There are
articles on "What's New in Word 2010," but they would compare it only to
Word 2007, which already incorporates the most dramatic change that users
will experience: the Ribbon instead of menus.

"croy" wrote in message
Where can I find a list of changes that someone migrating
from Word 2002 to Word 2010 would notice?

Stefan Blom

For an introduction to the ribbon, the following article might be helpful:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-of-toolbars-and-menus-HA010089895.aspx?CTT=1
(Use the Ribbon instead of toolbars and menus).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"croy" wrote in message
Where can I find a list of changes that someone migrating
from Word 2002 to Word 2010 would notice?

croy

2000 (per your subject line) or 2002 (per your message body)?

Well, how did *that* happen???!!! ;-l Probably because at
work we're migrating from Office 2002 to 2010, but at home,
I still run 2000.

Steve Hayes

"croy" wrote in message
Where can I find a list of changes that someone migrating
from Word 2002 to Word 2010 would notice?

I'm not sure about 2000, but I use 97 on my desktop computer and 2010 on my
laptop. That may not be of much use to you, as there are probably enough
differences between 97 and 2000 to make it difficult to understand --
Microsoft seem to have a compulsion to rename functions in different version
and to hide them in different places.

I find one of the biggest differences between 97 and 2010 is that 2010 has a
bewildering bunch of typefaces and fonts for which I can see no use, yet I can
never find the ones I want, so I compose documents in 97, and edit them in
2010, when the fonts and typefaces are already embedded in the style template,
and 2010 seems to respect them once they are there.

Stefan Blom

In the user interface, the big differences were in Office 2007, although there
were some minor changes in Word 2000 as well...

As far as the fonts are concerned, newer versions of Windows and Office
certainly add fonts (as well as other applications). To avoid changing fonts
manually, you should set a new default in Word. In a new, blank document, press
Ctrl+D to display the Font dialog box. Select the font that you want, and then
click the Set As Default button.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"croy" wrote in message
[...]

Will that get rid of all those "intense" thingies?

Stefan Blom

Sorry, I don't understand what you are referring to here. Please elaborate.

Setting the default font of your choice will certainly eliminate the need for
changing the font manually.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message

In the user interface, the big differences were in Office 2007, although there
were some minor changes in Word 2000 as well...

As far as the fonts are concerned, newer versions of Windows and Office
certainly add fonts (as well as other applications). To avoid changing fonts
manually, you should set a new default in Word. In a new, blank document, press
Ctrl+D to display the Font dialog box. Select the font that you want, and then
click the Set As Default button.

Will that get rid of all those "intense" thingies?

Steve Hayes

Sorry, I don't understand what you are referring to here. Please elaborate.

Setting the default font of your choice will certainly eliminate the need for
changing the font manually.

I think I must have already done that, since when I opened the document the
style default font was set at "Bookman Old Style"

But it offers me styles like "Emphasis" "Subtle Emphasis" and "Intense
Emphasis", which I wouldn't know what to do with, but I can't find things like
blockquote, and indenting first lines, or numbered and unnumbered lists.

Stefan Blom

I believe you are referring to styles in the Styles group on the Home
tab? To permanently remove such a style, do the following: Create a new,
blank document (for example by pressing Ctrl+N). Right-click the style
that you want to get rid of. Click Modify. Clear the "Add to Quick Style
list" option. Select "New documents based on this template," and then
click OK. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose
to do so.

Steve Hayes

I believe you are referring to styles in the Styles group on the Home
tab? To permanently remove such a style, do the following: Create a new,
blank document (for example by pressing Ctrl+N). Right-click the style
that you want to get rid of. Click Modify. Clear the "Add to Quick Style
list" option. Select "New documents based on this template," and then
click OK. If/when you are prompted to save the Normal template, choose
to do so.

Yes. I was really pointing out that that is one of the differences betqween
Word 2007/2010 and earlier versions - the styles available and the way of
setting them up is different.

Stefan Blom

But the difference is not as huge as it may seem. You can still apply
styles via the Styles pane which was introduced in Word 2003 (or 2002--I
don't remember); just click Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display it.

You can even add the old, but useful, Style box (StyleGalleryClassic) to
the Quick Access Toolbar.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Steve Hayes

But the difference is not as huge as it may seem. You can still apply
styles via the Styles pane which was introduced in Word 2003 (or 2002--I
don't remember); just click Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S to display it.

You can even add the old, but useful, Style box (StyleGalleryClassic) to
the Quick Access Toolbar.

Ah, that sounds useful.