Won't publish images but everything else is there!!!

G

I have been using FP '98 since '98 and using WinXP. Have never encountered any publishing problems 'til now. I published to the server and everything seems ok but the images didn't make it. I periodically am getting the following message:An error occured accessing your FrontPage web files. Authors - if authoring against a web server, please contac
the webmaster for this server's site. Webmasters please see the server's system log for more details
I do not know what this means. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extensions...no go... contacted my host who reinstalled. They say that's all they can do on their end. It still isn't publishing the images. So, I have a site with red x's. I appreciate any help I can get with this as I am not really happy about pulling in all of the pics one at a time but that is all I can figure out to fix it. Can someone help????...I would be so grateful!

S

Stefan B Rusynko

Make sure all the images you are using have been File Imported into the FP site before you use them

--

| I have been using FP '98 since '98 and using WinXP. Have never encountered any publishing problems 'til now. I published to the
server and everything seems ok but the images didn't make it. I periodically am getting the following message:An error occured
accessing your FrontPage web files. Authors - if authoring against a web server, please contact
| the webmaster for this server's site. Webmasters please see the server's system log for more details.
| I do not know what this means. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the extensions...no go... contacted my host who reinstalled.
They say that's all they can do on their end. It still isn't publishing the images. So, I have a site with red x's. I appreciate any
help I can get with this as I am not really happy about pulling in all of the pics one at a time but that is all I can figure out to
fix it. Can someone help????...I would be so grateful!

R

Rick Budde

Open your site live in Front Page and see where the links
to the pictures are pointing.
-----Original Message-----
I have been using FP '98 since '98 and using WinXP. Have
never encountered any publishing problems 'til now. I
published to the server and everything seems ok but the
images didn't make it. I periodically am getting the
following message:An error occured accessing your
FrontPage web files. Authors - if authoring against a web
server, please contact
the webmaster for this server's site. Webmasters please
see the server's system log for more details.
I do not know what this means. I have uninstalled and
reinstalled the extensions...no go... contacted my host
who reinstalled. They say that's all they can do on their
end. It still isn't publishing the images. So, I have a
site with red x's. I appreciate any help I can get with
this as I am not really happy about pulling in all of the
pics one at a time but that is all I can figure out to
fix it. Can someone help????...I would be so grateful!

G

Thanks for responding Stefan. I have never had to do that before. I built many webs on my puter placed the images where they belonged and then used the publish command to place the entire site from my PC onto the server. So you're saying that I now have to manually go in and import each of these many images to get them on the server which you have to do through the file import...right...one at a time! What is this?

S

Stefan B Rusynko

If the images are not in your FP Web they will be linked to your personal PC and broken links to other users when you publish the
site
You can use File Import, or drag and drop (into a Folder - not into a page), or Copy / Paste into a Folder
- any method to 1st get them into your FP web folder so FP can create a relative link w/i your site (not outside of your site)

--

| Thanks for responding Stefan. I have never had to do that before. I built many webs on my puter placed the images where they
belonged and then used the publish command to place the entire site from my PC onto the server. So you're saying that I now have to
manually go in and import each of these many images to get them on the server which you have to do through the file
import...right...one at a time! What is this?

S

Steve Easton

The link you posted is caused by 1 of 2 things.

You had a page open but *not the web* when you created the links, or you linked to images
outside of your web.

You need to open the web and then edit the page removing all of the old links and then
recreate them making sure the images are inside your web.

Also you need to replace the spaces in the file names with underscores _ as spaces will
cause links to not work.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed..................
...............................with a computer
angeeart said:
The images are all in the images folder inside the web I am publishing. Can I drag and
drop the entire images folder from my computer to the open site on the server or can I
import the whole images file??
Another question...I also have links that were set before I published that appear like
this now and won't work on the open site either:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/A%20C/My%20Documents/ancha/raves.htm.
I was reading someone else's question and they were discussing relative URLs ...etc. Is
this the same thing? If so do I correct them by recalculating the hyperlinks? Thanks
again for your time to help this not so FP literate who has always relied on FP to deliver
and gets flippy when it doesn't!!!

S

Stefan B Rusynko

1) If all the images are in your images folder in your FP Web they should publish OK and not be broken links
- you can open both your local and remotes sites in FP and Copy / Paste the images folder from one site to the other (acts the same
as File Import)

2) But a link like
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/A%20C/My%20Documents/ancha/raves.htm.
says you are working on a page outside of your FP site, or editing the page raves.htm outside of a FP Web (if your FP Web is ancha
in the My Documents Folder)
Open your local site and make sure the page raves.htm is in your web

--

| The images are all in the images folder inside the web I am publishing. Can I drag and drop the entire images folder from my
computer to the open site on the server or can I import the whole images file??
|
| Another question...I also have links that were set before I published that appear like this now and won't work on the open site
either: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/A%20C/My%20Documents/ancha/raves.htm.
| I was reading someone else's question and they were discussing relative URLs ...etc. Is this the same thing? If so do I correct
them by recalculating the hyperlinks? Thanks again for your time to help this not so FP literate who has always relied on FP to
deliver and gets flippy when it doesn't!!!

G

Thanks for all the great advice guys!!!...worked all the problems out and the site is up and running fine with the exception of a few pics that didn't transfer that I imported. Success again!

A

Andrew Murray

no, not necessarily one at a time....you can multi-select hundreds if you need
to. (or your whole 'images' folder).

Once you create your images.....make gifs, jpgs whatever.....do the import right
then and there - and make it a habit so they are always 'pre-imported' ready for
use.

angeeart said:
Thanks for responding Stefan. I have never had to do that before. I built many
webs on my puter placed the images where they belonged and then used the publish
command to place the entire site from my PC onto the server. So you're saying
that I now have to manually go in and import each of these many images to get
them on the server which you have to do through the file import...right...one at
a time! What is this?

Ask a Question