Windows Vista Wlan/lan

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Son-in-law has a Sony Laptop. He was on Facebook Sunday when he downloaded a video from a 'friend' - he actually knew this one!
He clicked on the 'add-on' and got a fake Windows web page.
Panicked, and since his Norton was out of date, tried to update it but could not access the Norton website, but he could access other sites.
I took the machine home, used Windows Defender and found Freddy - a password stealer.
Then downloaded Hijackthis to my PC pendrive and used it on the laptop to remove it. Tried to it connect to my Netgear wireless router but it had 'limited connectivity' despite detecting three wireless networks and mine at 'strong signal 'strength.
Downloaded various free anti-malware programs to my PC and ran them via the pen-drive and A-Squared found -
Trojan.JS.Agent!IK
Virus.Trojan.JS.Fraud!IK
Trojan-Downloader.HTML.FraudLoad!IK
Deleted these,then tried umpteen scans and found no problem - but both LAN and WLAN fail to connect to the Internet.
First experience with Vista so would appreciate any help. I know I am missing something in this chaos.
Thanks in advance
peahouse05

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Peahouse.
I was also caught by some nasty from a video I watched on Facebook over the weekend. It rendered my main PC near useless. I downloaded Super Anti Spyware and Malwarebytes and saved them to a USB drive. I restarted my PC in Safe mode with networking, and installed and ran both programs. Both found the virus/trojan and dealt with them..Rebooted and all has been fine since. I have also now installed Avast Antivirus which I say is pretty darn good..Try my solution and see how you get on..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
I have also now installed Avast Antivirus which I say is pretty darn good..

I bin telin folk that since 2004
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I bin telin folk that since 2004
laughingsmiley.gif

Its good, I got a bit of a fright though the other night..Sat on me tod in the computer room chatting away on MSN, when out of nowhere this vboice came out me computer..Wonder if you can change it for the voice of a nice young lady, say with a Geordie accent, like that of Cheryl Cole...:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Look, do some googling, some research, and you will note that there's three major FREE antivirus software programs.

Antivir, Avast and AVG.

Online reviews and diagnostics unanimously agree that of the three only Antivir is as good as the best paid-for AV programs such as NOD32 and Kaspersky.

Again, all independent online reviews agree that Avast and AVG are flawed and not the best.

This is a subject I have looked into deeply and facts and figures from several independent sources should give an acurate assessment.

When people claim an AV software program is good I'm wondering just how do they base their assessment?

To test an AV program's effectiveness a user has to play dangerously, usually by purposefully browsing nasty websites - pRon, Warez, and any of a few dozen bogus free software sites.

I have done this, I have used all three AV programs and only Antivir consistently blocks all nasties, usually offering to 'Deny Access' as a first option.

As experiments, I have used Avast and AVG and both have let me become infected where Antivir did not.

I have read reports from what I consider to be experienced guys on several forums who are experienced in their field, all of which claim that Antivir is every bit as good as their paid equivalents and all other freebies are really not that good.

Again I ask - what criteria do people use to recommend a good AV program?

Simply stating 'Well, I haven't had a virus in three years' is not good enough.

To really test an AV prog's worthiness, one has to flirt with disaster purposefully - and I've done that.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Look, do some googling, some research, and you will note that there's three major FREE antivirus software programs.

Antivir, Avast and AVG.

Online reviews and diagnostics unanimously agree that of the three only Antivir is as good as the best paid-for AV programs such as NOD32 and Kaspersky.......................

I agree with what Flops says as I have used all the three programs over the period of more than 7 years, initially it was AVG and next was Avast, was not happy with either, I switched to Antivir few years back and sticking to it as exactly what flops says, this excellent program detects and warns where the other two failed consistently. I also know for a fact that some folks have AVG installed yet I receive unsolicited emails from their PC without their knowledge. Does this mean their PC's are infected? Sure that is what it is and no doubt about it.

I use Windows only to update my Blackberry and my Tom Tom, other than that I exclusively use Linux for everything else.

Disclaimer: Myself and Flops are not on the payroll of AntiVir!

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi All
Apologies to all for this confusing thread and especially to Mucks who had to close a duplicate post due to my incompetance.
Son-in-law invited five viruses/ trojans onto his Vaio via a video sent to him by a friend on Facebook. I removed all the nasties but the machine would not access the Internet wired or wirelessly.
He did not tell me that he had had problems previously on a couple of occasions with Vaio Smart Switch and had taken it to the local shop which had fixed it (temporarily) for £20. He also failed to mention he has dropped the Netgear DG834G router onto a hard floor when trying to connect by ethernet.
Have Googled the wireless problem, which seems to be a common fault, and connected his Vaio by wire using a my spare Netgear router.
Cheers
peahouse05

Ask a Question