Windows 7 Unable to install ActiveX controllers

Reaction score
From the research I have done, this appears to be an 'old chestnut' but none of the umpteen fixes I have tried have yet to solve the problem.

I'm trying to upload pictures on both Ebay & Facebook on a new laptop but the installers 'hang' after I've accepted the ActiveX download prompt. I've tried all the suggested fixes including changes to the browser settings, security settings (I've even turned them all off), registry clean up and so on - anyone else had this problem & solved it?

I'm using a new Compaq notebook which came with Windows 7 & IE8 pre-installed. For security, I'm using the 'onboard' Windows firewall plus Microsoft Security Essentials. Internet connection is provided wirelessly through a Netgear router connected to Virgin Media Broadband.

Thanks in anticipation ........

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums BBoy :)

Can you try going to Tools > Manage Addons then take a look at the currently loaded addons. You could then try disabling them all and see if you can then install further activeX modules. I would normally suggest trying it in IE8 in "no addons" mode, but I don't think it will allow the installation of activex modules.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian ..... and thanks for moving my query to the correct forum!

When messing about with the browser settings I did disable all the add-ons and then enabled them one-by-one without success - and yes, if you run IE8 in 'no add-ons' mode it will not let you download any new ActiveX controls. I also read a suggestion that the Accelerators might be causing the problem so I disabled those as well.

I have a couple of other machines running IE8 in XP & Vista without this problem so I guess it's a Windows 7 'thing'?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got Windows 7 and it seems to be running ok for me, so it could be something unique to your setup. Have you tried running Windows in safe mode to see if the problem still happens, that might rule out anything that loads on startup from causing the problem.

Also, does anything show up in Event Viewer (probably relating to iexplore.exe)?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

I don't do EBay and certainly will not try farcebook, however I do have Win 7 & even tried IE8, and, no I'm not a fox fanboy either ... but ...

... there is a handy little "feature" in IE8, called reset ... it may work. ;)

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks Muckshifter - I had already tried the 'reset' option without success ..... and then found that I couldn't play video files & had to reload Java!

After a hard week earning some bread & water, I really couldn't be bothered today - might start on this problem again tomorrow :-(

Reaction score
Apologies guys - I did eventually resolve this problem and in the excitement never got round to posting the answer on here! The problem was with the security settings in 'User Accounts'. I switched off the User Account security, loaded the errant Active X control and re-activated the User Account security after a re-boot. Simple ........

Ask a Question