Wireless router signal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am going to stay with a friend soon and they are hoping to install a wireless router so that we can both use the internet at once.

The thing is that we're not sure the signal will reach. One computer will be in the same room as the router and one will (preferably) be in the room directly above. Is that likely to work? The ceilings are very high (don't know whether that makes a difference).

Is there a better method of having the two computers on one account?

Any help much appreciated,

Ailsa :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You should be fine with that, but if you want to make doubly sure you could get one of the new Pre-N Wireless Routers which give a better range.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As Adywebb says, you should be fine :) I can get a signal about 15 meters away through a few walls - so 1 room isnt a problem :)

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
As Adywebb says, you should be fine :) I can get a signal about 15 meters away through a few walls - so 1 room isnt a problem :)
Hi Flower Girl

Agree with Ian, I have got wireless networks running thru' block walls and I can easily get 75 feet, so unless you have got a big thick granite walls or re-inforced concrete floors you should have no issues.:thumb:

If you want to make doubly sure, go with AdyWebb's suggested option. They are more powerful than the kit I am using.:eek:

As regard the best way to connect more than one machine to a broadband, I reckon this has to be the easiest. Otherwise you either need to install a hub (unless you have an ADSL broadband router with built-in LAN connections), or start configuring modem sharing within Windows. Stick with what you suggest unless you start experiencing problems, and if you do, let us know and we can try to sort it out for you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Ask a Question