Wireless Router For Cable

Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone know if any wireless router works with Telewest Broadband or should i get a particular model,they are comeing to fit broadband on the 25th but after seeing a mates instalation yesterday i don't want them drilling big holes all over the house,honestly you should see what they did with the door frames it looked like a drunk monkey had done it so i thought i would get the router for them to stick the cable in,many thanks.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you do find one I doubt if Telewest will give you any 'support' if you have any problems.

Ask them to wire out side, and just come in where needed. I only had the one hole with NTL. :D

Reaction score
We allready have the phone and tv point in the living room that is where they say it will come in then it will go the full length of the room through a door frame acrooss front door up a flight of stairs across small landing up 4 more stairs across past bath room door through another door frame then full lenth of office to computor,i forsee a lot of mess and unsightly cable.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Hmmm, I see ... fortunately for me NTL had a 'box' outside which they just tapped off and ran up the wall, and it blended in quite well with the brickwork. :D

I still think they should go "out & back in" as we are talking a proper fiber-optic cable are we not?

Tell them to go up through the celling an under the floorboards upstairs ... oh no, wait, they'll rip all the carpets up. :D

Sorry Frodo, I'm not much help here. :blush:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Alternative thinking?

Frodo said:
Hi guys does anyone know if any wireless router works with Telewest Broadband or should i get a particular model,they are comeing to fit broadband on the 25th but after seeing a mates instalation yesterday i don't want them drilling big holes all over the house,honestly you should see what they did with the door frames it looked like a drunk monkey had done it so i thought i would get the router for them to stick the cable in,many thanks.
Hi Frodo,

Apologies if I am missing the point here, and If I am please tell me shut up, but if you are looking at wireless routers, what would stop you putting the wireless router at the point of entry into the house, and then running WIRELESS to the machines?

If necessary you could put a wireless bridge at the other end, and connect that to a wired switch so you have a faster backbone between all your local machines (assuming you have more than one).

If you need to program your wireless router, you may have to run a Cat5 from your PC to the router (unless you have a laptop handy) but this is a very temporary measure, and one it's up and running you should not need a physical link between the two devices.

Admittedly, this option may not work due to distance and obstacles etc, and you may need to check the throughput of the wireless element if you have got a BIG broadband connection. I've had a similar setup working on a 2MB link before.

Any use to you?

Reaction score
"Apologies if I am missing the point here, and If I am please tell me shut up, but if you are looking at wireless routers, what would stop you putting the wireless router at the point of entry into the house, and then running WIRELESS to the machines?"
Thats what i want to do CITech sorry if i didn't make it clear enough but my mate told me he thought there may be a problem connecting the cable from Telewest to the router.I am really new to this broadband malarky

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Frodo said:
"Apologies if I am missing the point here, and If I am please tell me shut up, but if you are looking at wireless routers, what would stop you putting the wireless router at the point of entry into the house, and then running WIRELESS to the machines?"
Thats what i want to do CITech sorry if i didn't make it clear enough but my mate told me he thought there may be a problem connecting the cable from Telewest to the router.I am really new to this broadband malarky
Ah right, got you!
I have to admit that I'm not "au-fait" with any Telewest technology, but assuming their service terminates with some kind of device with an RJ45 LAN connection, why not plug a standard NON-ADSL Wireless router in at that point. That way you should not have any warranty issues as you are still terminating the service with an approved Telewest device, and then you can take the wireless signal from there.

It may not be the neatest solution, but you can always hide the kit. Surely it has to be easier than turning the internals of your house into Swiss cheese (not that there's anything wrong with Swiss cheese in case we have any Swiss readers!)

CITech Edit: Sorry, just realised that some services terminate with a USB connection, in which case you totally ignore everything I've said. I will go and sit in the corner with a big pointed hat, emblaisened with a very large D on the front!:(

Last edited:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Frodo, I have Telewest and as CITech says, get them to put the socket and modem at the current point of entry, and once they've gone just connect a wireless cable broadband router to the modem and wirelessly connect to your PC upstairs.
I use a Belkin F5D7230 but frankly any good make such as Linksys, Netgear etc will do, just make sure you dont get a ADSL router...

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Results?

Frodo said:
I think that is problem solved, thanxs everyone.
Hi Frodo

Can you let us know how you get on, so that we know for future :))

Cheers

Reaction score
CITech said:
CITech Edit: Sorry, just realised that some services terminate with a USB connection, in which case you totally ignore everything I've said. I will go and sit in the corner with a big pointed hat, emblaisened with a very large D on the front!:(

There is a way around the USB Modem thing... and that invlolves having at least one pc in the vicinty... so sounds like it would not work in this scenario. Are these USB modems any good... why even bother when a nic is commonly built in... even on the cheapest of boards.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Telewest Modems come with RJ45 connections fortunately! - Just one thing for you to consider Frodo, if your PC is going to be a long distance away behind a few doors/walls then you may need to consider some of the newer Pre-N routers which give greater distance and coverage.
Belkin do one the F5D8230uk4, but I'm sure there are other makes who do too.....

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
USB Modems

Raje said:
Are these USB modems any good... why even bother when a nic is commonly built in... even on the cheapest of boards.
Hi Raje

My local provider (Cable & Wireless) provides USB modems, but they deliver service over copper pairs (ie. conventional). Not sure what the implications for any service delivered over other methods may be. They terminate at either a wall-mounted RJ11 socket or utilise a Micro-Filter to split the BT-Style jack into a voice and data channel. I think the RJ11 is the same as you guys get in the USA for voice traffic.

From there you get the choice of either utilsing the supplied Alcatel or Thompson ADSL USB Modem, or using your own ADSL router (but they won;t support tech issues if you use a router!):(

Ther USB modems are fine for single machines, but you have to dial-up a connection everytime you start the machine. I have tried putting it into the start-up group but it don't work very well. The main drawback is that you have to start configuring modem-sharing thru' the PCs if you want to connect more than one machine to the line and this is hard if you have a blend of O/Ss. That's why everyone I know uses an ADSL Router, and this is how we achieve RJ45 connectivity.:thumb:

If you have a choice of USB Modem or Router, my recommendation is ROUTER, every time!:cool:

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Telewest Modems come with RJ45 connections fortunately! - Just one thing for you to consider Frodo, if your PC is going to be a long distance away behind a few doors/walls then you may need to consider some of the newer Pre-N routers which give greater distance and coverage.
Belkin do one the F5D8230uk4, but I'm sure there are other makes who do too.....

Thanks for that Adywebb as it happens it will be quite a distance from the pc and will have walls and doors to go through.I will try out your link as i like Belkin gear it seems top quality,i have to make a decision soon as the install date is comeing up and i have to factor in delivery time.Does any one know if the broad band cable is the same thickness as the white one that feeds the cable tv box??

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I don't have the cable TV, but I should imagine it is similar. The broadband cable is approx 7mm Diameter.

Reaction score
Well a spanner has been thrown in the works i was out washing the car yesterday and half way through a Telewest van pulled up opposite and it soon became clear he was installing broadband in the house where the people have just moved in.Couldn't resist the opportunity to pick his brains so i waited for him to come back to his van and wandered over,as it happens he didn't mind atall and was more than helpfull but his advice is to forget wireless and have the cable round the house and up the wall to my office,apparently some time ago Telewest did a free wireless kit as an insentive to join up but they dropped it real quick because of all the problems they had,people getting broadband but not the full speed,dropped connections etc he said you just cannot beat a proper in the back of the computer connection and if you have a problem and they know you have wireless the support ends immediatly.Dont know what to do really but i dont want to spend £60 on a router to call them back and lentghen the cable(which he said they would charge for because it's a return visit)
Frodo
Fed up and confused
But can't wait for broadband.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm, as I've said before, I've had Telewest with a wireless router for over 2 years and have never had any problems at all with drop outs, speed etc.:confused:
Its up to you really, but personally I think its worth it:thumb:

Ask a Question