Windows Vista Wireless Keyboard/Mouse killing screensaver!

Reaction score
Ok, I'm at a loss here! I've spent hours reading through blog posts and forum posts and Microsoft Help and Support (yeah right!) and I cannot find a solution to this problem! I just recently upgraded my PC and installed Vista Home Premium edition and went out and spent another $50 on the Logitech Cordless Desktop LX310 Laser (wireless keyboard and mouse) only to find this awesome problem with the screensaver not wanting to work! If I uninstall the Logitech driver and just use the intellimouse drive (or intelle something!) the screen saver works fine, but I lose the customization I've had with this mouse for over a year (use the same mouse at work)!

I've tried and tried to make my system do the update so I can select the optional 'HID Non-user Input Data Filter' fix, but no matter what I do, I can't get that update to appear anywhere!

Can someone please help???

Reaction score
Hi, Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Have you tried using it as Plug and Play, without installing Drivers.

My old wireless Keyboard and Mouse, because the Drivers wern't compatable with Vista, I was able to use it as PnP.

Have a go and then let us know. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've done some googling and people report conflicts with strange bits of software (such as DVD player software). Have you tried seeing if the screensaver works in Safe Mode?

Reaction score
Nobody in particular said:
Hi, Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Have you tried using it as Plug and Play, without installing Drivers.

My old wireless Keyboard and Mouse, because the Drivers wern't compatable with Vista, I was able to use it as PnP.

Have a go and then let us know. :thumb:

As I've said, I can get it to work if I remove the Logitech drivers, but if I do that, I lose the advanced customization that I've grown accustom to with this mouse. If it comes down to it, I may just have to live without the screensaver and just turn my monitor off...I do that most of the time anyway, it would just be nice to have it all work the way it's meant to!

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've done some googling and people report conflicts with strange bits of software (such as DVD player software). Have you tried seeing if the screensaver works in Safe Mode?

I haven't tried it in Safe Mode, but even if it did work in Safe Mode, how exactly would that be of benefit when running Vista normally? It would actually make sense if it works right in Safe Mode, but I really need it to work in normal mode.

Like I said above, if I can't get the screensaver to work with the Logitech driver, I guess I have no screensaver. Sucks, but maybe Microsoft will have done it right with Windows 7! In fact, I'm going to test it all out and see if my beta version of Win7 works with it! As things look now, I plan to upgrade as soon as they release...I like Vista, but Win7, from what I can tell so far, looks much better.

Thanks for helping me think to do that! If it doesn't work in Win7 I can at least submit my feedback to Microsoft so that perhaps they can fix it before it's released!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
capron007 said:
I haven't tried it in Safe Mode, but even if it did work in Safe Mode, how exactly would that be of benefit when running Vista normally? It would actually make sense if it works right in Safe Mode, but I really need it to work in normal mode.

It would help narrow the problem down, so it's worth a try. If it works in safe mode then you could take a look at your MSConfig startup list and stop some things from running till you find the culprit. :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It would help narrow the problem down, so it's worth a try. If it works in safe mode then you could take a look at your MSConfig startup list and stop some things from running till you find the culprit. :)

That makes sense...I need to head out the door soon, but I'll give that a try later and report back! From what I could find on the web, this does seem to be a problem many have had...I really do hope Microsoft pays attention to this kind of unnecessary stuff and makes Win7 work better with other hardware/software!

Reaction score
Fixed! I really should have known better, but I was installing the driver from the disc that came with the keyboard/mouse because it said 'Windows Vista' on the disc. Well, I should have been smart enough to just go to the Logitech website in the first place and just download the latest driver! What can I say...it's been a long and stressful week! Thanks anyway for the attempt at helping!

Ask a Question