Wireless Found but Not Working in WinXP??

A

Al Franz

Running WinXP Professional with a Wireless card. Trying to get it to
connect to the free wireless network at the public libarary. When I boot
the machine it finds the network connection access point, and states
EXCELLENT connection. But when I try to browse the web it does not find
anything. Is there some other configuration switch in WinXP I have to set.

If I go to Wireless Network Connection Properties it does not show any
available networks. Have tried both "Use Windows to Configure" as
checked and unchecked. Also have FIREWALL feature on the Advanced tab
unchecked. What else is there to check. The PC connects to the internet
excellent when I run an Ethernet wire to it, but when I use the SMC 2532W-B
Wireless PC Card 802.11b, it finds the Access Point but WindowsXP does not
use it properly???

B

boaz

The Access Point may be boardcasting the SSID but not the KEY.
You may need to ask someone there for the KEY.

Or you may not have the "Key will be provided by the Access Point" (or
something like this).checkbox marked.

A

Al Franz

Instructions from the library are to use SSID = ANY, disable WEP encryption.
Where to you find the "Key will be provided by the Access Point" feature,
would that matter?

B

boaz

It is where you type the KEY INDEX#1, #2, #3, #4...
huh... when you click the ADD button...

But since you disable WEP encryption, you should not need to use the keys
thingie.

Try another wireless network card.

I have noticed that some SONY laptop doesn't support 128-bit encryption.
BUT... you are not using any encryption... Hmmm....

G

I have the same problem. The network doesn't require any encryption or key

I have all windows xp updates installed. (is that the problem?

I can connect to the network. I am assigned an IP address, gateway, DNS server

However I cannot get to the internet. I have checked the configuration of the router and it is open for any wireless client to access it

G

ANSWER
This was the answer to the same problem that WORKED FOR ME and I hope it works for you too

You need to uninstall the IPv6 IC
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817778&Product=winx
To disable IPv6 ICF
Click Start, and then click Control Panel
Click Add or Remove Programs
Click Add/Remove Windows Components. The Windows Components wizard starts
Click Networking Services (but do not click to clear the check box), and then click Details.
Click to clear the IPv6 Internet Connection Firewall check box, and then click OK
Click Next
Follow the instructions on the screen to remove the component from the computer
back to the to
Known Issue
IPv6 connectivity issues when you use incorrect firewall settings

You may have connectivity issues if firewall settings for ICF for IPv4 or ICF for IPv6 are not configured correctly. To resolve this behavior, use the following command at the command prompt to refresh the firewall settings
netsh interface ipv6 set teredo clien

Windows XP peer-to-peer ports are not open when you install a new network adapter

If Windows XP Peer-to-Peer Update Beta is installed on the computer, and you do not remove it before you install the Advanced Networking Pack for Windows XP, the appropriate ports for the Windows XP peer-to-peer networking infrastructure are not opened when you install a new network adapter. This behavior occurs because ports are not opened globally in Windows XP Peer-to-Peer Update Beta. To resolve this behavior, disable, and then and re-enable the Windows XP Peer-to-Peer Networking Component.
The guest account cannot use a Windows XP peer-to-peer networking program

You must log on with a user account other than the Guest account to use the Windows XP peer-to-peer networking infrastructure.

An application, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, may not be able to resolve domain names from some Domain Name System (DNS) servers after you enable IPv6. Because of this, you may not be able to access some Web sites. This problem may occur if the DNS server is queried for a non-"A" record, and the server replies with an authoritative response that returns NXDOMAIN or NAME_ERROR (Response Code, or RCODE, 3) even though an "A" (or Internet Protocol version 4, or IPv4, host) record for the queried name exists on that DNS server. NXDOMAIN or NAME_ERROR in the response indicates that there are "no records of any type for that name." Microsoft has found that some DNS server software does not support "AAAA" (Internet Protocol version 6 or IPv6) records and incorrectly responds with NXDOMAIN even though an "A" record exists for the site. For additional information about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
815768 Application Cannot Resolve Some Domain Names

IPv6 traffic is not filtered by the IPv4 ICF in Windows XP. To filter IPv6 traffic, you must use the IPv6 ICF included with the Advanced Networking Pack

Ask a Question