Wireless and clueless -- HELP !!!!!!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So I finaly got wireless connections on me XP and me Mandriva, both are reporting fully working. Can not see any discs, folders or any sign of another pc on either pc. So I'm guessing I'm missing a link. No wisecracks please.

Here is a pic of the Mandriva,

attachment.php

Attachments

• wire11111_1.jpg
    wire11111_1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 315
Reaction score
Sorry but i'm clueless when it comes to wireless!:lol:

I'm sure someone will be able to help later.:nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you connected though a router, or direct from PC to PC (I guess it's this, as I can see "ad-hoc")? Also, can you ping between machines ok?

I think it could be to the way network shares work between OSes, but I don't know much about Linux to be able to suggest how to fix it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ad-hocing so its pc to pc no router involved . I'm after transfering files at the moment but internet would be nice .
Ping or pong its all the same double dutch to me so I ain't got a clue .

Both pc's say they are connected to the "puzzled" network . I have a feeling I may need to set up SAMBA or something on the linux. I could go XP to XP but then I won't be able to bonk as I only have boinc set up on linux. I'm keeping XP just for games.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
So I finaly got wireless connections on me XP and me Mandriva, both are reporting fully working. Can not see any discs, folders or any sign of another pc on either pc. So I'm guessing I'm missing a link. No wisecracks please.

Here is a pic of the Mandriva,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4481&stc=1

nothing to do with your question,but how do you post picture like that on here?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You take a screenshot of your monitor, save it to your HDD, then either use the upload attachment post option or upload it to somewhere like ImageShack and then post the link as an image.

Although Windows does have its own screenshot facility, a better option is a freeware program called Gadwin Printscreen.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
You take a screenshot of your monitor, save it to your HDD, then either use the upload attachment post option

When I do this I only get a thumbnail. How do I get the big picture? :confused:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
nivrip said:
When I do this I only get a thumbnail. How do I get the big picture? :confused:

A lot of folk in the world would like to know how to look at the bigger picture. I belive that meditation is best.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Upload a picture with the "Manage Attatchments" , right click on the linkand "Copy link location"Then place your cursor in the text page and click on the "Insert Image" button, paste your link into the box.
Make sur that your pics are no more than 800x600.

happywave.gif

Now can I get some help with my question.
nod.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Here's a "101": http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Docs/SysAdmin/Server/Samba

ALSO: if/when you (think) you have all the bits in right places as per the above link but it still doesn't work, check the firewall log(s); chances are you'll see 5 Brazillion "blocked" entries. Make note of IP/port(s) and punch holes to firewalls accordingly.

kuvakaappaus3nx2.png

kuvakaappaus4eg9.png

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ta fer the link . I'm just about to give up on wireless . I've bought a quill and some velum and am now busy writing down all the info from the files I need to transfer. I f I can find a writing pad thick enough I'll paint all the movies I have and just use flicker pads to watch them . it will be much more environmently friendly as books and pictures last much much longer than pc's do anyway .

wallbash.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
WHOOOOA, SILVER!!!

Am I reading this wrong or what? I thought the problem was LAN between the two computers... what's up/down with wireless? If the answer is "no worky with Mandriva", the next question is "which wireless card does the machine have?"

:confused:

Ask a Question