Wiping a HD

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a new Asus laptop with Major problems. Asus has agreed to replace it. It didn't come with any type of Software CD's which I think is pretty common now. I have to burn System restore disk of my own onto a DVD.

ANYWAY, my question is this. Do you think Asus will give me problem if I simply wipe the HD completely? I want to make sure I delete all my personal info and I can't format without burning a few DVD's that will become useless.

I have a DBAN cd and can wipe this puppy clean but I don't want any trouble when I return the laptop....

I'm new to this forum so any ideas, thoughts, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Chad

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you want?

If you are returning said laptop to Asus, and want to make sure non of your personal data is left behind, then smash up the HD.

Even DBaN don't guarantee secure data erasure. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There's plenty of free software about that can be burnt to a CD, booted from, then a series of 0's written to your HD, thus effectively erasing it. Seagate do Seagate Tools, for instance.

In my view Asus/or the laptop's supplier won't raise objections if you return the faulty unit with an erased disk, just put a note in with it explaining why the disk has been erased.

Not sure about Mucks' suggestion about physically destroying the hard disk though, I think you may encounter problems if you return a damaged unit.

However, as Mucks says, the only way you can be absolutely sure data on a disk will never be accessed again is to destroy it. But, given the scenario, I think it extremely unlikely the recipient of your returned disk is going to go out of their way to view your data and a soft erasure should suffice.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree and can't see why they'd have problems if you erase the data on the HD - it's common sense to do so.

The (free) UBCD has loads of HD secure erase software - give one of those a run and give it a few passes :).

Reaction score
I used to use KillDisc that deleted everything & i mean everything on it.
These days i use a 5lb lump hammer, much more enjoyable!:nod:

Ask a Question