WinXPpro sp2 and proliant server with raid??

Brad

We had a Compaq ProLiant server "good willed" to us when the manufacturer
was done using it, less an OS.
Can I install WinXPpro and will it see the 'raid' controller or will I have
to find drivers for the controller. It has a built in Ultra ATA100 Raid
controller on the MB.
I've never used or setup a Raid system so I don't know what to expect. I do
know there is a ROM for the Raid controller but that's about it.
Due to a limited budget right now I'd like to just load an OS and make it
usable.
Compaq ProLiant ML310 (G1?) P4-2.0Ghz 1.5gig Ram 2-40gig HDD(raid1)
Brad

Paul

Brad said:
We had a Compaq ProLiant server "good willed" to us when the manufacturer
was done using it, less an OS.
Can I install WinXPpro and will it see the 'raid' controller or will I have
to find drivers for the controller. It has a built in Ultra ATA100 Raid
controller on the MB.
I've never used or setup a Raid system so I don't know what to expect. I do
know there is a ROM for the Raid controller but that's about it.
Due to a limited budget right now I'd like to just load an OS and make it
usable.
Compaq ProLiant ML310 (G1?) P4-2.0Ghz 1.5gig Ram 2-40gig HDD(raid1)
Brad

There are at least three kinds of disk interfaces in a computer.

1) Built into motherboard, and connected to the Southbridge.
For some of the Intel Southbridges, the drivers in WinXP SP2
could be sufficient (no extra driver needed, no need to press F6).
WinXP SP2 will have an I/O mapped driver for standard IDE drives,
and a PCI mapped driver. Moving the hard drive cable to a Southbridge
port might make it all work. You don't need to operate the drives in RAID
mode, for a simple install. One drive should do.

2) Motherboards can have separate hard drive controller chips
also soldered to the board. Whether operated in a plain mode
or in a software based RAID mode, chances are a driver would be
required. The connectors on the motherboard would be separated
from the Southbridge connectors. The connector labeling at the
motherboard level, may not be too descriptive of what is what.

3) You can use add-in cards for storage control as well. The add-in
slots on the motherboard could be PCI, PCI-X, or PCI Express,
or on servers, there are even a variety of proprietary solutions
for installing such devices. The cards can control EIDE, SATA, SCSI,
SAS, Fibre channel, all manner of disk interfaces. You'll need
drivers for these.

As for identifying what is inside the box, ideally it helps if the
model number completely specifies the hardware. But with a server
box, there are many opportunities for customization via the add-in
cards.

To run a software utility that can identify hardware, you'd need some
kind of OS present. For playing around, I use Knoppix (knopper.net)
or Ubuntu (ubuntu.com), as the CDs for those Linux OSes allow booting a
computer without installing anything on a hard drive. The OSes
work, by creating a RAM disk, and working within the confines of
the RAM disk. Using programs like "lspci", "lsusb", or "dmesg", I
can get limited information about the hardware, and do any testing
I might want to try.

The next easiest thing, is to take the cover off the computer, and
trace where the cable(s) for the hard drives are connected. Then,
see what unused connectors are available on the motherboard (or
on some controller card). That may give you some hints as to whether
there are some Southbridge ports you could be connecting to. Reading
actual chip numbers, would be more difficult, because at least for
modern systems, there are lots of heatsinks in the way. (The ICH5
Southbridge on my current motherboard, has no heatsink on it, so
I can actually read the part number on that one.)

Without software, how I'd start, is make an inventory of the
add-in cards installed, and whether your hard drives are connected
to them. Then examine the motherboard and base computer, to see
if you can figure out whether it is a G2, G3, G4, or G5 generation
model. The HP site has some info on their machines, but an
exact identification of the chassis in question would help
immensely. The more part numbers you can read off stuff,
or model numbers off a back label on the machine, anything like
that might help you run searches using the search engine on the
hp.com web site.

Paul

philo

Brad said:
We had a Compaq ProLiant server "good willed" to us when the manufacturer
was done using it, less an OS.
Can I install WinXPpro and will it see the 'raid' controller or will I have
to find drivers for the controller. It has a built in Ultra ATA100 Raid
controller on the MB.
I've never used or setup a Raid system so I don't know what to expect. I do
know there is a ROM for the Raid controller but that's about it.
Due to a limited budget right now I'd like to just load an OS and make it
usable.
Compaq ProLiant ML310 (G1?) P4-2.0Ghz 1.5gig Ram 2-40gig HDD(raid1)
Brad

I used to have an older Proliniant and I had itr running win2k pro with no
problems

I don't recall having to pre-load any drivers but I'm sure your server is
newer than the boat anchor I had.

The good news is that Compaq (HP) is very good about keeping all drivers ,
setup disks etc on their website...
I was surprised at how they still supported some very ancient servers...even
the EISA types.
So if you need anything, it should all still be there for you.

Punch in your exact model number and see what they have and what's needed

Brad

Paul,

It does have an imbedded Ultra ATA100-Raid controller on the MB. During the
boot process I do get a prompt to hit F8 to access the MegaRaid IDE setup
utility. The drives are already setup for Raid1 so I left them that way.
I guess now my problem is getting WinXP to recognize the controller so that
it will utilize the Raid array.
I'm searching HP's web site for more information but most of what I'm
finding are newer servers with SATA raid setups or SCSI but not IDE. There's
not much more of a 'model' number besides ML310, hp shows G2,G3, etc. but
they all refer to SATA and SCSI so I'm wondering if this is a G1 or ???
I'll let you know what I find.

Brad

Brad

Well, I did find some drivers on HP web site. It took a while but I finally
found some.
I had already taken the cover off the box, which I do with all machines I'm
working on just because I like to know what I'm working with and how dirty
it might be inside.
I narrowed down the drivers based on the information on the web site. G2 and
up seemed to have newer hardware than mine eg., SATA drivers.

ProLiant ML310 (G1 for lack of a better description) DOESN'T support WinXP
it works and it loads but not without it's extra work.
The Raid drivers I found had to be on a 'floppy' drive (which I'll address
later) not a big deal since this machine has a floppy drive.
The video drivers wouldn't load because it's not the correct OS.

I found the drivers listed under "ML310 server series" instead of a
designated ML310 - G2, G3 etc. which was listed farther down the list of
listed servers but I still wasn't sure they were correct. I used some of the
nomenclature that scrolled on the screen during bootup to narrow down what I
thought I needed.
I even tried HP's 'discover / search' your machine to have it tell you what
you have inside the box once I got XP loaded but that feature doesn't work
for servers.
and yes, it also has a separate IDE interface for CD / DVD drives but I
wanted to use the Raid setup since it was already there, setup with two
drives.
The only add-in card is a second NIC everything else is on the MB.

I'll have to try the Linux software and your suggestions to see what it
tells me, good information for future reference Thank You.

Now back to the "floppy" necessity. During the Windows load when I pressed
"F6" for Raid drivers windows wanted the drivers on (from) the "A" drive. Is
there a way to change that or does that get done because "windows"
discovered a floppy drive during the setup process. What if I didn't have a
floppy drive, I originally had them on a CD and had to copy them to a
floppy.

Brad

Paul

Brad said:
[...]

They mention a TXTSETUP.SIF file here, containing supported devices.
Probably easier to just plug in a floppy and ribbon cable.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916196

Paul

Brad

Thanks Paul,

I guess it might pay to keep a floppy drive and cable laying around.

Brad

Tom Wright

I have a feeling we each received our gift from the same source. I have the same thought as you in terms of installing Win XP on the machine. I am curious to know if you have had any luck?

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Who are you talking to and about what?