WinXP Pro Upgrade Installation Stops

J

John Miller

I bought WinXP Pro SP2 Upgrade and attempted to install it on my new system (Asus A8N-SLI motherboard, AMD 64FX 4400+ 2.2GHz, 1 GB Kingston DDR400 RAM, 2 WD 36 GB Enterprise RAID 0 HDD), but setup stops with the message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer... Technical Information: STOP: 0x0000006F (0xC0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

However, if I attempt to install my copy of WinXP Pro SP1 (purchased for my other system), it installs fine. I can even specify the PID from the SP2 package, and it is accepted. So I believe that I'm completely legal, but I'd like to know what's going on with the aborted installation. There appears to be no problem with the distribution CD (no read errors or anything like that). Rather, it appears that Setup thinks there's a failure or problem in my hardware. Does anyone know what the five hex numbers in the error message indicate?

I've tried to contact MS Tech Support, but their web site rejects the PID as being in the wrong format, so I'm trying this approach.

Thanks in advance.

Y

Yves Leclerc

First, the PID is not the same as the CD Key. PIDs are normally always numbers and CD Keys have letters/number mixed together.

How are you upgrading to XP Por SP2? Inside Windows or booting from CD?

When you are upgrading from with-in Windows, you MUST uninstall all anti-virus systems, disconnect all external devices (printers, scanners, cameras) and leave only the monitor connected. It is also recommended that you disconnect the Internet cable, because if you do not re-install anti-virus before re-connecting to the Internet, your will be infected.

I bought WinXP Pro SP2 Upgrade and attempted to install it on my new system (Asus A8N-SLI motherboard, AMD 64FX 4400+ 2.2GHz, 1 GB Kingston DDR400 RAM, 2 WD 36 GB Enterprise RAID 0 HDD), but setup stops with the message:

"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer... Technical Information: STOP: 0x0000006F (0xC0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

However, if I attempt to install my copy of WinXP Pro SP1 (purchased for my other system), it installs fine. I can even specify the PID from the SP2 package, and it is accepted. So I believe that I'm completely legal, but I'd like to know what's going on with the aborted installation. There appears to be no problem with the distribution CD (no read errors or anything like that). Rather, it appears that Setup thinks there's a failure or problem in my hardware. Does anyone know what the five hex numbers in the error message indicate?

I've tried to contact MS Tech Support, but their web site rejects the PID as being in the wrong format, so I'm trying this approach.

Thanks in advance.

G

Try downloading updated RAID/SCSI drivers for you SATA drive and install them
at the beginning of the XP install by pressing F6. It sounds to me like the
driver may not be compatible with SP2 out of the box.

Ask a Question