WinXP OS select boot menu

G

Recently did a new install of winxp on a previously win98 HD, during setup I did the whole delete/replace current operating system (it was win98). At this time the computer also "supposedely" reformatted the HD to be NTFS (previously was FAT32). System works great, boots fine no real problems. (interestingly enough all the data that was there previously is still on the drive to, so it did not actually format just did a FAT conversion which is fine). The problem I have is, when it boots up, it shows the OS boot menu as if it was a dual boot system. Both options are for Windows XP professional. Selecting the top one boots into XP as normal. Selecting the second one brings the system into Winxp install mode. The autoselect timer is set to 30 seconds.

So, does anyone know how to remove this second boot option, as the OS is installed already and works fine? so the boot menu does not show up? (or edit the timer to 1 second? there does not appear to be a "boot.ini" file th
at corresponds to this setting which really boggles my mind.

Thanks in advance

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Go to Start > Run and type in: MSCONFIG , and hit enter,
Click the BOOT.INI tab.
Next, click "Check All Boot Paths".
This procedure should correct your BOOT.INI file.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Recently did a new install of winxp on a previously win98 HD, during setup I did the whole delete/replace
current operating system (it was win98). At this time the computer also "supposedely" reformatted the HD to be
NTFS (previously was FAT32). System works great, boots fine no real problems. (interestingly enough all the
data that was there previously is still on the drive to, so it did not actually format just did a FAT
conversion which is fine). The problem I have is, when it boots up, it shows the OS boot menu as if it was a
dual boot system. Both options are for Windows XP professional. Selecting the top one boots into XP as normal.
Selecting the second one brings the system into Winxp install mode. The autoselect timer is set to 30 seconds.
|
| So, does anyone know how to remove this second boot option, as the OS is installed already and works fine?
so the boot menu does not show up? (or edit the timer to 1 second? there does not appear to be a "boot.ini"
file th
| at corresponds to this setting which really boggles my mind.
|
| Thanks in advance
|

G

Okay, I will try that when I get back from dinner tonight.

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will post again if this fixes it =

Ji

----- Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote: ----

Go to Start > Run and type in: MSCONFIG , and hit enter
Click the BOOT.INI tab
Next, click "Check All Boot Paths"
This procedure should correct your BOOT.INI file

--
Carey Frisc
Microsoft MV
Windows XP - Shell/Use

Be Smart! Protect your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| Recently did a new install of winxp on a previously win98 HD, during setup I did the whole delete/replac
current operating system (it was win98). At this time the computer also "supposedely" reformatted the HD to b
NTFS (previously was FAT32). System works great, boots fine no real problems. (interestingly enough all th
data that was there previously is still on the drive to, so it did not actually format just did a FA
conversion which is fine). The problem I have is, when it boots up, it shows the OS boot menu as if it was
dual boot system. Both options are for Windows XP professional. Selecting the top one boots into XP as normal
Selecting the second one brings the system into Winxp install mode. The autoselect timer is set to 30 seconds

| So, does anyone know how to remove this second boot option, as the OS is installed already and works fine
so the boot menu does not show up? (or edit the timer to 1 second? there does not appear to be a "boot.ini
file t
| at corresponds to this setting which really boggles my mind

| Thanks in advanc

A

Alex Nichol

Jim said:
Recently did a new install of winxp on a previously win98 HD, during setup I did the whole delete/replace current operating system (it was win98). At this time the computer also "supposedely" reformatted the HD to be NTFS (previously was FAT32). System works great, boots fine no real problems. (interestingly enough all the data that was there previously is still on the drive to, so it did not actually format just did a FAT conversion which is fine). The problem I have is, when it boots up, it shows the OS boot menu as if it was a dual boot system. Both options are for Windows XP professional. Selecting the top one boots into XP as normal. Selecting the second one brings the system into Winxp install mode. The autoselect timer is set to 30 seconds.

So, does anyone know how to remove this second boot option, as the OS is installed already and works fine? so the boot menu does not show up?

C:\Boot.ini is a hidden and protected file. The easy way to edit is at
Control Panel - System - Advanced - in Startup and Error, click
Settings, where you can adjust time-out and default; then Edit will load
it into Notepad.

Delete lines in matching pairs, one from the [Boot Loader], one from the
[Operating Systems]

Ask a Question