Windows2000 - System Files Deleted, Winlogon 100%, Data Deleted in Other Partitions

Anurag Jain

Dear All,

For past few months I am facing problems on my windows 2000 server.

My Development environment needs of following,
IIS, VB6, MS Office 2000, MS SQL Server Client

My PC contains my web-site code that is mainly written in ASP/HTML
and certain VB COM Components.

At random times, sometimes in 1 day or 2 day or max 15 days, my
operating system crashes and I have to do a complete reinstall. The
behaviour is as follows,

1. System becomes very busy. A lot of hard disk activity starts
happening.
2. Some system Files goes missing such as all msc files etc. Even
sometimes task manager also refuses to open up.
3. Event Viewer, which i had to open using mmc console, shows alot of
"Windows File Protection" in System Log saying an attempt was made to
replace the blab, blab blab... This message is repeated for hundreds
of system files.
4. In task manager, Winlogon says 100%.
5. After doing a force shutdown the pc refuses to start up, saying -
"ntoskrnl.exe missing or corrupted" or "Operating System Missing"
This Message appears according to what time the shutdown was forced
(I
must have done 50 reinstallation so far.) If as soon as I had an
inkling
that the system is going down and I shut it down, it says
"c_1252.nls
missing", if little later then "Hal.dll Missing", more later
then "ntoskrnl.exe missing". If much more later then "Operating
System
Missing"
6. Using another system and attaching my Hard disk to examine it, I
found
many of system files were deleted, some data was deleted, sometimes
complete
partition info is gone.

I have applied every patch that microsoft has supplied.

I have tested and tried around 20 antiviruses and about 15 firewalls.
Scanned my site code and other data thouroughly before crash and after
crash through all these anti viruses. Not a Single Virus reported.
Anyway this problem has come with other servers also that did not
contain these files.

I have disabled admin shares, removed netbios configuration and tried
every trick to secure my system that microsoft keeps on giving for
securing servers.

I have even changed my OS to Professional/XP and even NT and NT
workstations.

I have tried with both All FAT partitions as well as with ALL NTFS
partitions.

I have changed my PC hardware as well. Shifted location in the office
also :).

The only thing that has kept my PC working longest, was no preplanned
thought. It was like a "Tea Boiling Experience" in "Three Men in
Boat". You have to convince the PC that we are not worried about it's
going down and show no concern for it. You can't say or even think "I
am going to finish this work today" over a cup of tea. You can't
design anything away from your PC.

One more thing as long as you keep working on the OS it is all fine,
but you give it or urself just 5-10 mts of rest, without shutting it
down, pop it goes down.

Give me some options so that I can stop bulshitting around.

Regards,
[Anurag Jain]

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Have you tried different hardware? Today I concluded a
two-week exercise that drove me crazy with all sorts of
unexplained errors, even after brand-new installations.
It turned out that I had a faulty memory chip: It worked
most of the time but not all of the time.

Anurag Jain said:
[...]

Colon Terminus

I would suspect faulty hardware. Hard disk or RAM. Download and run memtest86 for 16 hours or so. Go to the hard disk manufacturers
site and download and run their DOS disk integrity checking software.

Anurag Jain said:
[...]

Steven L Umbach

I agree. I never ran into memory problems until about three years ago, before then
never. I had a computer that ran great but I needed to reinstall OS and I had all
kinds of problems - BSOD, files could not be copied, rebooting, etc. After about the
fifth attempt I pulled out one of the memory modules and bingo, everything went
great. Overheating cpus [kind of obvious] and flaky power supplies [less obvious,
unless fan is failing] are other common problem areas. --- Steve

Anurag Jain said:
[...]

It doesn't seem to me hardware problem, as

1. I have tried installing my OS on different BIOS/RAM/Hard Disks
configurations.

2. All the data is getting lost in other partitions, in the sequence I
specified earlier. I guess if it is some kind of harware issues, then
ateast my data would not be lost.

Regards,
Anurag Jain

Anurag Jain said:
[...]

"Hardware" includes such minor items like the motherboard,
the CPU and the power supply . . .

There is, of course, the possibility of you being hacked, or
of an insider playing a dirty game. I have also heard of servers
that suffered a virus infection, got rebuilt, retrieved some stuff
off a backup tape and promptly suffered a new infection, because
some files on the tape were infected.