Windows XP Windows XP to be retired in 2008

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Windows XP will stop being available on new PCs from the end of January 2008.

Microsoft is keeping to a plan to stop selling the operating system even though surveys show a lukewarm response to Windows Vista among consumers.
A poll by US market research firm Harris Interactive found that only 10% of those questioned were planning to upgrade to Vista in the near future.
All versions of XP, including those made for media centre or tablet PCs, are affected by the decision

Mr Epstein said withdrawing XP licences had no implications for long-term technical support for the product. "This is purely about availability of brand new licences for brand new machines," he said. "We'll continue to support XP for some considerable time."

Thoughts?

BBC

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Thoughts?
... there is no difference in the Computer industry to the Life Cycle of any product and why MS should be singled out is just MS bashing.

In fact, I'll go as far to say, MS has a very good track record of "supplying" their product for a longer period than any other manufacturer in the industry.

MS has extended the life of my HP PSC 500 printer by the mere fact they have supplied drivers for it ... err, you won't find them on HPs website.

Can someone find me a New CPU for my 939 system ? cheap, not eBay. ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=114914&_LOC=UK

nod.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Agreed, and no manufacturer is going to keep selling old versions of anything when they need to sell new ones - it doesn't really make economic sense.

I think the fact they are continuing sales until Jan 2008 is pretty generous to be fair - regardless of my personal view of upgrading to Vista at this time.

Can someone find me a New CPU for my 939 system ? cheap, not eBay. ;)
I'll have 3 X2 3800's going spare shortly Mucks if you need one :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I say, spiffing old chap, what !

Adywebb said:
I'll have 3 X2 3800's going spare shortly Mucks if you need one :thumb:
SOLD!!

nod.gif

oh, I only need one ... :D

:thumb:

Reaction score
Well thats nothing to get up in arms about anyway. I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon, so as long as they keep support for XP for another 4 or 5 years I don't think anyone can complain.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
SOLD!!

nod.gif

oh, I only need one ... :D

:thumb:
SixtyChris said:
I might be interested in one of them Ady... Drop me a PM :)

Cheers
No problem - just waiting for some new CPU's to arrive and once I've upgraded they will be available :thumb:

Only criteria I have is that must be used to crunch as well ;)

Ask a Question