Windows XP Service Pack 1

Robert Boni

When my system alerted me that I needed updates from
microsoft, I went to check them out. It said that it was
critical that I download the "Windows XP Service Pack 1.
It checked my system to determine if I had it and then
begun to download it. When I restarted the computer, I
got the following error messages:
"Invalid backweb application ID7288971"

then:

"Windows cannot find C\windows\System32\pwroff.exe"
"Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try
again to search for a file, click the start button, then
click search"

then:

"Cannot load or run C\windows\System32\pwroff.exe"
"specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on
your computer or remove the reference to it in the
registry"

Can someone help me resolve this problem?

P.S. I also downloaded "Spy Hunter" right after
downloading the service pack.

Thank you

Bob Boni

Paul [MSFT]

Regarding your post:
--------------------
| From: "Robert Boni" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Windows XP Service Pack 1
| Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 10:01:02 -0800
|
| When my system alerted me that I needed updates from
| microsoft, I went to check them out. It said that it was
| critical that I download the "Windows XP Service Pack 1.
| It checked my system to determine if I had it and then
| begun to download it. When I restarted the computer, I
| got the following error messages:
| "Invalid backweb application ID7288971"
|
| then:
|
| "Windows cannot find C\windows\System32\pwroff.exe"
| "Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try
| again to search for a file, click the start button, then
| click search"
|
| then:
|
| "Cannot load or run C\windows\System32\pwroff.exe"
| "specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on
| your computer or remove the reference to it in the
| registry"
|
| Can someone help me resolve this problem?
|
| P.S. I also downloaded "Spy Hunter" right after
| downloading the service pack.
|

| Thank you
|
| Bob Boni

Dear bob,

It looks like this might be the work of a trojan. You will need to take
steps to remove/clean your system of this.

More information on Pwroff.exe including steps to remove:

Trojan.gema
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.gema.html

If this does not resolve your problem, please contact Microsoft Product
Support for additional steps:

Computer Viruses Description, Prevention and Recovery:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;129972

For free virus-related support in the U.S. or Canada, call (866) PC-SAFETY
(727-2338).

If you are outside the U.S. or Canada, contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary.

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE