Windows XP repair makes my comp slow to the max

Reaction score
kk i ran a windows XP repair, before that my computer was fine, but after i ran the XP repair, my computer was SOOO SLOW, my specs are AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz 384 MB ram, i installed all the updates and service pack 1, but for some reason my computer is extremely slow, i ran a virus scan and it got rid of a couple viruses, opening up like my C:\ drive and internet explorer its fine, but like going to webpages its a bit more slow, and opening up programs is REALLY slow, i was encoding a video that usually took about an hour and i can do things in the background, but now when i try to encode a video the estimated time says like 19 hours, and i cant do anything in the background because its too like laggy and it makes the time go to like 50 hours, my computer can barely run starcraft anymore T-T anyone got any idea how to fix this?

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Well i aint 100% sure what this could be, so if i were you i would runs these steps in the following order:

Run this free internet virus scan, its one of the bets in the world because its up to date with every virus known to man: Free Virus Scan

After that, download and use Ad-Aware 6, this will get rid of all that nasty spyware: Ad-Aware 6

Then i would do a disc clean up (start menu, all programes, accesories, system tools, disc clean up)

Then a disc scan (my computer, right click your HDD and click on tools, disc scan)

Then i would defrag (start menu, all programes, accesories, system tools, defrag)

I really hope this helps.

Then if its still slow, i'd go out and buy a new computer, but not before burning my old one.

Reaction score
don't waste your time on the above (no offence reef)

format your hard disk and reinstall windows, failed repairs are not worth the time trying to fix, trust me.

if everything was fine before you ran the repair then why did you run the repair???

age old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke!"

"you just broke a major rule of engagement" (any one guess the film? ;))

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I agree with Techy ... you certainly know how to "mess it up" Hyori ... however, you did re-install ALL MB drivers, didn't you?

:rolleyes:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Techy said:
don't waste your time on the above (no offence reef)

format your hard disk and reinstall windows, failed repairs are not worth the time trying to fix, trust me.

if everything was fine before you ran the repair then why did you run the repair???

age old saying "don't fix it if it ain't broke!"

"you just broke a major rule of engagement" (any one guess the film? ;))
Do you mean "You took it...and broke a major rule of engagement" from Top Gun?

Anyway, i woulda said format, but says hes not got a CD Writer and has valuble shit on his hard drive?

Formating should always be the last thing to do IMO.

Reaction score
yeah topgun!

Formating should always be the last thing to do IMO.
not necessarily, you could spend hours if not days trying to resolve the above problem and still not get anywhere, in a situation where the cause of the problem isn't clearly apparent or the problem indicates a corrupt installation of windows then a format and reinstall would be my first port of call.

and as for the data that he can't afford to lose, there's a great article on BACKUPS that ian wrote somewhere on here.

not backing up is like not filling your car with petrol and still thinking your going to get to work in it! foolish!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
My initial thoughts exeacly. But i read you done a virus scan and got rid of the virus' (so it put me off the scent, nearly:p).

Well there are to free vrius software available for ya, theres the free download of AVG and a free online scan fron Trend. Either one should get rid of it.

Now some of these virus' might be active and you wont be able to delete them if they are because they'll be "in use" and when you press ctrl+alt+delete youll have to stop them (after you know which is the virus/s :p).

Ask a Question