Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

run12

I am buying an amd 64 3200 computer. On AMD's site they state you can
download the 64 bit winxp beta professional free for one year. Would
this be advisable or should I stay with my 32 bit xp pro

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| I am buying an amd 64 3200 computer. On AMD's site they state you can
| download the 64 bit winxp beta professional free for one year. Would
| this be advisable or should I stay with my 32 bit xp pro

Bruce Chambers

run12 said:
I am buying an amd 64 3200 computer. On AMD's site they state you can
download the 64 bit winxp beta professional free for one year. Would
this be advisable or should I stay with my 32 bit xp pro

Unless you're prepared to go without device drivers for a great many
common pieces of hardware, anti-virus protection, 3rd-party firewall,
etc, you really shouldn't think of using a beta OS on your primary
computer. If you're curious, though, you could set up a dual-boot
configuration, using your 32-bit WinXP Pro for daily computing tasks,
and WinXPx64 for testing. This is what I've done.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

gld

good idea thanks

Unless you're prepared to go without device drivers for a great many
common pieces of hardware, anti-virus protection, 3rd-party firewall,
etc, you really shouldn't think of using a beta OS on your primary
computer. If you're curious, though, you could set up a dual-boot
configuration, using your 32-bit WinXP Pro for daily computing tasks,
and WinXPx64 for testing. This is what I've done.

Bruce Chambers

gld said:
good idea thanks

You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

Although I agree that a dual boot scenario is probably best till you get a
feel for if your stuff is going to work on the 64-bit OS I have to say the
64-bit OS does very well. Most 32-bit apps will run just fine in the 64-bit
environment. There are some that have problems for a variety of reasons, but
they seem to mostly be because of programming mistakes like hardcoded paths
that they don't take into account as far as a 64-bit system. I run a 64-bit
OS on my home system as my primary machine.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft

Bruce Chambers

Joshua said:
Although I agree that a dual boot scenario is probably best till you get a
feel for if your stuff is going to work on the 64-bit OS I have to say the
64-bit OS does very well. Most 32-bit apps will run just fine in the 64-bit
environment. There are some that have problems for a variety of reasons, but
they seem to mostly be because of programming mistakes like hardcoded paths
that they don't take into account as far as a 64-bit system. I run a 64-bit
OS on my home system as my primary machine.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Labs
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

What do you use for anti-virus and firewall applications? I've so far
been unable to find any that are designed for personal use on a 64-bit
OS. Until those are readinly available, I'll not be so foolish as to
trust WinXPx64 on the Internet for any length of time.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

Well, not sure if this is the right thread. But it seems to me that you have
dual boot system going with XP64bit beta installed. I have my dual boot
system up and running however, I'm unable to locate the product key code that
was supposed to have been included in the download link for the beta version.
Can you help?

thanks.

Bruce Chambers

Island-Style said:
Well, not sure if this is the right thread. But it seems to me that you have
dual boot system going with XP64bit beta installed. I have my dual boot
system up and running however, I'm unable to locate the product key code that
was supposed to have been included in the download link for the beta version.
Can you help?

thanks.

I received the Product Key in the same email that provided me the link
from which to download it. However, yours seems to have become a common
question. If you visit the privatenews.microsoft.com server and the
microsoft.private.windowsserver_64bit newsgroup (the username and
password were provided to everyone authorized to do the download),
you'll find the Product Key posted several times a day.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

I have an order ID code. but it is actually 26 alphanumeric characters.
not other information, i'll check out the newsgroup