Windows XP Windows XP Pro SP2 Or is it???

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:

The Dillema: If I right click on "My Computer" and select system properties my Version of windows is shown as XP Professional SP2... However I have been noticing alot of XP home chacracteristics with the OS I belive the only reason its listed as XP Pro SP2 is because I repaired a windows install with an OEM XP pro SP2 disk and thats the CD Key I used, Now I know Alot of You are asking yourselves "How could he not know for Certain what OS he installed"?! And normally I would agree with you, But I had alot of problems with install the OEM disk that was used at the end to repair and "Register" with,This was the original disk to be used...It was however problematic and the integrity of that copy was called into question, Some files were not being loaded and I could not determine weather it was the disk or a problem with the Non-Raid drivers or a hardware problem..
Thus began the process of elimination I took a XP home edition disk from way back and ran an install with it because the error I was originally getting was "INF.file Invalid or Corrupt" but then I later deleted that Install or so I thought..( In the end I opted to repair a later re-install of XP pro SP2 and that seemed to fix it. again so I thought. But now Iv'e got that whole Windows GUI on shutdown asking to manually cut power..."It is now Safe to turn off your computer" :( I so wanna start from scratch:(
wallbash.gif
Alienware who determined that THEY FORGOT to include my alienrespawn disk that cost me $50 but could not send me one now unless I paid for another becuase I did not report it missing in a timely fashion lol 30 days...
Have non-the-less also stated that the OEM disk is probably Screwed.. and have expressed their deepest appologies but have also stated that they would not be able to send me another because of that whole timely fashion thingy...However they have offered to go out of their way an SELL me another:rolleyes: LMAO
And while all of this was going on... They said Sir we must remind you that for our "Continued ehm SUPPORT" err we must charge or that is to say...You Must Purchase a 1x Technical support session for the price of $49.95..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:........
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Owell I guess we know what my answer was ,,/,, ..\.. :p

Ok ok So Im Ranting... ok so my question was or is Just cuz sys/props says it is don't make it so. Correct?

Peace~N~Goodwill StarChild.exe
user.gif

Reaction score
Ok So I'm A NoOb

Heh Im about to answer my own question...lol

The answer to the question I myself posted above is of-course : Wrong, If system properties is telling you its
XP Pro SP2 then it infact is just that...I learned how to do a real Version check today lol Im such a noob:lol:

witch just reminds me that no matter what you may think you know you can be Sure that not only is it not enough but there exists someone who will always knows more, This was a simple thing I should have done my homework first.. Shame on me:blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
As long as you have a legal CD Key and are entitled to use it on your pc you can use any cd containing the OS to install from .

;)

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what you use to do a repair install however the outcome will be that the operating system is whatever was on that CD.

If you used XP SP2 then that is what you have.

It does sound as though you could use a clean install. ;)

Reaction score
Thanks Gents:)
LOL Here is yet another mistake I made that I've scince read up on and corrected:)

I "Assumed" that just because my OS had some characteristics of XP home that it was just that... Well I also learned how to disable the welcome screen on startup and now not only does it have the XP Pro logon but my Task Manager Now gives me those options to lock computer ect ect just another little thing that was simple and I had missed in my rush to judgment:(

StarChild.exe

Ask a Question