Windows XP Pro. slow shutdown:

x@y

Hello everyone,

Recently my Windows XP Pro. System takes longer than normal to shutdown
Time, all Security updates are installed,
lately no other Programs has been installed that would cause the problem.

I have tried the following but it did not help:

1. Go to Start > Run and type: regedit
2. Navigate to HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Desktop
3. Double-click on AutoEndTasks
4. Change the value from 0 to 1
5. Close the registry editor and reboot your machine.

The above registry tweak is sometimes referred to as a "Force Exit" to
automatically close applications that are not responding at shutdown. When an
application fails to respond a dialog box is displayed prompting the user to
either end it now or to wait. Enabling the value AutoEndTasks will take care of
the non-responding application without user intervention.

Here is exactly what happens: After I click <Start> Then on <Turn Off Computer>
The Hour Glass will show up and it takes about Five Minutes for the shutdown
Window
to appear, and when I click on the shutdown option it will take another Five
minutes to
complete turn off.

Please Advise if You have a Fix or anything else to try.

Thanks, x@y

Maincat

x@y said:
[...]

It could be that your virtual memory pagefile is being cleared at shutdown.
Go to Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Security Settings -
Local Policies - Security Options and scroll down to Shutdown: Clear Virtual
Memory Pagefile. If it is enabled, click click it and disable it. That
will speed up the shutdown process.

Please report back to this group and let us know if that worked for you.

x@y

Maincat said:
"x@y" <[email protected]> wrote in message

It could be that your virtual memory pagefile is being cleared at shutdown.
Go to Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy - Security Settings - Local
Policies - Security Options and scroll down to Shutdown: Clear Virtual Memory
Pagefile. If it is enabled, click click it and disable it. That will speed
up the shutdown process.

Please report back to this group and let us know if that worked for you.

Hello Maincat,

Thank You very much for Your suggestion,

tried to attach a Screenshot of the <Security Options>
but OE 6, gave an error <File too large> could not Post.

<Clear Virtual Memory Pagefile> Was disabled.

Do You have another alternative that I could try?

Thanks x@y

x@y