Windows XP Pro setup stuck in infinite loop

G

I've been having problems since I tried to upgrade from windows xp home to professional. While installing devices it reaches around 75% and the screen flickers a few times then I receive the error
unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Foun
The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL
After hitting OK it redisplays error continuously. Now is when the loop starts. I removed the installation cd and turned off system. When setup loads, I exit, system reboots, setup reloads. I've tried keeping disk in and restarting but that just continues installation until I receive the error and I start over
Anyone have an idea of how I can stop this problem before I grab a sledge hammer to fix it permanently

Thanks in advance for stopping the destruction of a good computer and any help with this problem

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

When the problem occurs, press Shift +F10 to bring up the
command prompt. Then type taskmgr.exe in the DOS window
and press Enter. The Task Manager should be started. If
not, try to press C+Shift+ESC. In the Task Manager
program, select the error messsage window in the
application list and click "End Task". In the process
list, terminate the unregmp2.exe program. Exit the DOS
prompt window and resume the installation process.

Ref: http://www.mcse.ms/message349955.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I've been having problems since I tried to upgrade from windows xp home to professional. While installing
devices it reaches around 75% and the screen flickers a few times then I receive the error:
| unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
| The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL.
| After hitting OK it redisplays error continuously. Now is when the loop starts. I removed the installation
cd and turned off system. When setup loads, I exit, system reboots, setup reloads. I've tried keeping disk
in and restarting but that just continues installation until I receive the error and I start over.
| Anyone have an idea of how I can stop this problem before I grab a sledge hammer to fix it permanently?
|
| Thanks in advance for stopping the destruction of a good computer and any help with this problem.
|

G

I went into taskmgr and tried to end the task. After no response after a minute I tried again. It still will not end the unregmp2.exe problem and the loop continues. What should I try next?

Thanks in advance for all the assistance.

G

Which file contains the line that executes setup proceedure on startup? If I can access that file by running a new process in taskmgr I might be able to end this loop.....

G

My mistake....took me a second read of your post to notice I should end the program in the process list. XP Pro now finishing install....whether its a success or not....we'll soon find out. Thanks a ton for the assistance.

E

Ed Mack

I tried this and unregmp2.exe it just will not like it is
in a loop. Ed
-----Original Message-----
When the problem occurs, press Shift +F10 to bring up the
command prompt. Then type taskmgr.exe in the DOS window
and press Enter. The Task Manager should be started. If
not, try to press C+Shift+ESC. In the Task Manager
program, select the error messsage window in the
application list and click "End Task". In the process
list, terminate the program. Exit the DOS
prompt window and resume the installation process.

Ref: http://www.mcse.ms/message349955.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

---------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------

(e-mail address removed)...

| I've been having problems since I tried to upgrade from
windows xp home to professional. While installing
devices it reaches around 75% and the screen flickers a
few times then I receive the error:
| unregmp2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
| The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located
in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL.
| After hitting OK it redisplays error continuously. Now
is when the loop starts. I removed the installation
cd and turned off system. When setup loads, I exit,
system reboots, setup reloads. I've tried keeping disk
in and restarting but that just continues installation
until I receive the error and I start over.
| Anyone have an idea of how I can stop this problem
before I grab a sledge hammer to fix it permanently?
|
| Thanks in advance for stopping the destruction of a
good computer and any help with this problem.

Ask a Question