Windows XP monitor problem :: Green light on but no screen?

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Yesterday I was changing the screen resolution settings to 1280 x1024 and the monitor screen just went blank like it switched off but the green 'on' light was still on? I tried to reboot the PC and it started firing up as normal going past the Windows XP startup window and then the screen goes blank with the green light still on?

Just before this happened, I was using Google Earth and all these lines started appearing in the Google Earth window as I zoomed in which i have never seen before. I don't know if that was part of the start of the failuer. Has anyone experienced this before?

Additionally, an hour before this happened, I successfully upgraded from Service Pack 1 to Service Pack 2. Would this have any bearing on the failure? Is there a way I can boot up the PC in safety mode?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Peter
  • Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
  • Anti Virus Software: AVG Free
  • How do you connect to the net : e.g. ADSL (router)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you can use another monitor and cable to hook up to your pc this will tell you if the monitor has gone west . Can you borrow one from a friend or neighbour ?

user.gif

Reaction score
Yes I will borrow one from my friend now - thanks. I really think this is to do with me changing the monitor resolution settings and obviously, I cannot see anything on screen to change the settings back...The monitor worked absolutely fine before I changed the settings.

Reaction score
juicebox said:
Yes I will borrow one from my friend now - thanks. I really think this is to do with me changing the monitor resolution settings and obviously, I cannot see anything on screen to change the settings back...The monitor worked absolutely fine before I changed the settings.

Thats the problem you have set the resolutions to high,
next time you change them do a little at a time?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
juicebox said:

If it is the settings then swapping monitors will not help . You might be best waiting till someone can tell you how to re set the settings .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys. Just to let you know, I booted up in Safe Mode (F8) and used system restore and managed to restore back to 2 days ago and all is working fine. Brilliant!

Reaction score
juicebox said:
Hi everyone!
Just before this happened, I was using Google Earth and all these lines started appearing in the Google Earth window as I zoomed in which i have never seen before. I don't know if that was part of the start of the failuer. Has anyone experienced this before?
Glad your monitor problem was resolved. What about this one? I have had exactly the same problem using Google Earth in DirectX mode and I resolved it by using Google Earth in OpenGL mode which, according to the message I get when I start, is slower than DirectX. Again like you this problem suddenly started, but was not related to any desktop resolution change, and I assume it is due to some Windows/DirectX update. Does anybody know? and can it be resolved?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
SlimJim said:
Glad your monitor problem was resolved. What about this one? I have had exactly the same problem using Google Earth in DirectX mode and I resolved it by using Google Earth in OpenGL mode which, according to the message I get when I start, is slower than DirectX. Again like you this problem suddenly started, but was not related to any desktop resolution change, and I assume it is due to some Windows/DirectX update. Does anybody know? and can it be resolved?

laughingsmiley.gif
Google earth runs on Linux so that would solve the problem
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question