Windows XP help?

Reaction score
I really tried to get you the information you need and also tried to put this in the right section..

Anyway.
Here's my problem. Recently, my computer has been acting up. Certain programs won't open without crashing right afterwards. AIM crashed, TuneUp utilities crashes, IE Tab for Google Chrome crashes, System Restore crashes, and even an online pop-up downloaded game crashes. I can't really enjoy my computer much anymore since two of the main reasons I get on (AIM and the game) have stopped working. I've searched for viruses with Spyware Doctor, cleaned my registry with Registry Mechanic and nothing has worked. Things started working a little bit after using Registry Mechanic, but only a few minutes later is when things started acting up again. I've really lost hope with this computer, and I'm trying to convince my mom to let us get a new one (I'm only 16), but she believes this computer "just needs a rest".

I really do hope I gave you guys the information you needed, if not, just tell me what you need and I'll gladly get it for you.

Thanks in advance.

Operating System: Windows XP
Anti Virus Software : I use Malwarebytes'
Anti Spyware Software : Spyware Doctor
How do you connect to the net : I have a router and modem, I think..
Your Computer Specifications -

Motherboard info:
Property Value
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0M3918

North Bridge Intel i915P/i915G Revision B1
South Bridge Intel 82801FB (ICH6) Revision B1

CPU Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Cpu Socket Socket 775 LGA

System Slots 4 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
Memory Slots 4
Error Correction Single-bit ECC

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

CPU Info: (had to take a picture, hope that's alright)
5ze0kx.jpg

Video Info: (had to take another picture)
2r26jj4.jpg

Memory: (yet another picture)

258xc37.jpg

Reaction score
Wow you went out ya way to get lots of info for us mate, thankyou..

Can you get the error code that windows gives upon the crash? - It may help with identifying the problem a little easier. Otheriwse it will probably be just guesswork

Have you added any extra hardware to your system or done any system updates?

What type of crash is it?

Does you computer just randomly reset or do you get a warning?

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by error code, maybe these will help. (sorry this reply took so long as well!)

ws9rvm.jpg

ftj19v.jpg

I pretty much get the same message for most of the crashes I get.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Excellent information ...

OK, one point, Malwarebytes is NOT an AV program, is just another anti-nasties program, very good, but it ain't a full blown AV program.

Go pick three from this list of online AV scanners ...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...av+scanners&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m2&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

... run the three, say Housecall, Kaspersky & ESET, report any findings.

Then go get Microsoft Security Essentials as I get loads of wonga for advertising it's the best thing since sliced bread ... it's free, it does a damn good job in protecting you PC. :nod:

Then I would go and uninstall ALL tuneup programs, 'cos they are more trouble than they are worth, you have the "tools" already built-in, learn how to use them. ;)

Uninstall spyware doctor but keep malwarebytes

welcome to the show

:user:

Reaction score
Ok, I've done what you said above, muckshifter.

HouseCall keeps crashing when I try to install it. The others are working and scanning. I will edit this post, or make a new post if someone posts after this, with the results of the scan.

Thanks again for all of the help.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Bruthel said:
Ok, I've done what you said above, muckshifter.

HouseCall keeps crashing when I try to install it. The others are working and scanning. I will edit this post, or make a new post if someone posts after this, with the results of the scan.

Thanks again for all of the help.

I don't know if it is the right thing to do or not, but when I use the programs Muckshifter has suggested, I always run them in safe mode. For the last 2 day I have been trying to use Housecall and it also crashes on me..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
do not overly worry too much on housecall, especially if you used one or two of the other available online scanners. What was the result?

Do not run in safe mode, need to "see" all running programs. ;)

Installing MSE will help :)

:user:

Reaction score
I had the scans running over night but when I woke up I found out that the electricity blinked, so you might see the results either very late tonight or tomorrow (if the electricity doesn't blink again).

Ask a Question