Windows XP for Dummies?

Brian K

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

ToolPackinMama

Brian said:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

You know what? Try the internet. You obviously have access.

I'm not being flip. Info on the net is free, books are not.

Brian K

You know what? Try the internet. You obviously have access.

I'm not being flip. Info on the net is free, books are not.
Thanks for your suggestion. I posted my question under the assumption
that questions may arise when I do not have access. My current machine
is on it's last legs. There is no guarantee that the new one will be up
and running with internet access. (No, there isn't an internet cafe,
library or another computer I can use once this one goes belly-up).

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Marcel Overweel

Brian K said:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

You could try any of these:
The first one doesn't tell much about installation, but more about basic
stuff. Good for starters.
The second one is more comprehensive, there is an updated version of the
book for XP Service Pack 2.

Windows XP for Dummies Quick Reference, 2nd Edition
Hungry Minds - Wiley | 201 pages, spiral bound | Greg Harvey
A Quick Reference for the Rest of Us! Fully revised to include the latest
Windows XP updates including Service Pack 2
Reference for Users, Beginning and Intermediate Level
ISBN: 0-7645-7464-7 | Engels US

Microsoft Windows XP Unleashed
Sams | 880 pages | Terry W. Ogletree
Going beyond the basics to Unleash the full power of Microsoft Windows XP,
Terry Ogletree guides you through a wide variety of Windows XP topics
Tutorial for Users, Intermediate and Advanced Level
ISBN: 0-672-32280-3 | Engels US

ToolPackinMama

Brian said:
Thanks for your suggestion. I posted my question under the assumption
that questions may arise when I do not have access. My current machine
is on it's last legs. There is no guarantee that the new one will be up
and running with internet access. (No, there isn't an internet cafe,
library or another computer I can use once this one goes belly-up).

OK, you have my sympathy, but maybe your biggest problem is hardware,
not software. Perhaps many or all of your problems would be solved with
a newer computer.

Like a light bulb, old computers eventually just burn out. When that
happens, you just bite the bullet, and upgrade.

Before you try to install XP, check to see if your computer is
compatible. If not, then, hey... my sympathies.

ToolPackinMama

Brian said:
Thanks for your suggestion. I posted my question under the assumption
that questions may arise when I do not have access.

Ooops, I see you have a barebones kit. Good for you. XP is installed
by booting to the CD, and take it from there. Follow the prompts. You
are smart, and can figure it out.

ToolPackinMama

PS:

The OS is not enough. You will probably need the motherboard drivers and
other drivers before you can access the net.

Do you have broadband, or are you using dial-up?

Patty

[...]

I've always liked the Mark Minasi "Mastering" series books. They are great
reference books. I have "Mastering Windows XP Professional." They are
published by Sybex.

Patty

Mike T.

Brian K said:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and tweaks
that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

Before the barebone kit arrives, use your current computer to prepare for
the new build. Find the web site of the mainboard manufacturer. Download
all drivers for the motherboard. Don't forget LAN drivers. UNCOMPRESS all
the drivers, if they are downloaded in compressed form. Then find the web
site for whoever makes your video card. Download the latest drivers for it,
and UNCOMPRESS them. If you use a modem to connect to the Internet,
download drivers for the modem, and uncompress them.

Burn all these drivers to a single CD. While you are at it, you might want
to burn any important data files from your current system to the same CD.

You're not done yet. However you connect to the Internet, make sure to
write down (in hardcopy form) the telephone number to contact your ISP
technical support. Also, write down any current settings used with your ISP
like user name/password, IP addresses, dial-up number, etc.

If your new computer will use a SATA hard drive, download the SATA drivers
(for the motherboard) and copy them to a floppy disk.

Installing Windows XP is easy, just boot the Cd and follow the prompts.
HOWEVER, to get your computer to a useful state might require SATA drivers
on floppy disk, motherboard drivers, and (LAN or modem) drivers, as well as
video card drivers. Sound card drivers are useful, also, but can be
installed after XP is up and running and connected to the Internet.

If you are worried about using Windows XP, don't worry. It will feel just
like earlier versions, like Windows 98SE for example. There are
differences, but nothing that will stop you from using Windows XP as soon as
it is installed. -Dave

Conor

Brian said:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?
Yup...it's titled "Windows XP for Dummies". Seriously.

DGDevin

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and tweaks
that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

The Missing Manual series (volumes on lots of different software) seems
pretty good, and is widely available.

John Doe

Brian K said:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones
kit. I know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with
be without manual or whatever install guide that comes with the
retail one. So is there a good book that will provide me FAQ about
instillation, and tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer
fair or Barns & Noble?

You don't have to know anything about Windows XP you don't already
know about prior versions of Windows. Just format your hard drive
and install it.

If you are using DSL/cable, don't depend on the built-in firewall,
install ZoneAlarm/whatever.

If you miss the look of prior versions, you can change that in
Display Properties -- Themes.

Have fun.

Mike T.

John Doe said:
You don't have to know anything about Windows XP you don't already
know about prior versions of Windows. Just format your hard drive
and install it.

Actually, formatting is done for you. If you can format prior to the
Windows installation, then the file format will be fat32, which is not a
good idea for XP. The Windows XP install program will format your hard
drive to NTFS for you. -Dave

John Doe

Mike T. said:
Actually, formatting is done for you. If you can format prior to
the Windows installation, then the file format will be fat32,

I format in NTFS with either of two different boot CDs, either
PartitionMagic or Partition Manager.
which is not a good idea for XP. The Windows XP install program
will format your hard drive to NTFS for you. -Dave

I agree, that's a good point for the original poster.

Brian K

I format in NTFS with either of two different boot CDs, either
PartitionMagic or Partition Manager.

I agree, that's a good point for the original poster.
Thanks everyone for your input.

FYI on both IDE and SATA drives from Western Digital it should be noted
that the disk prep software gives the user a choice of file formats
including NTFS, partitioning in different formats with different OS etc.
My current IDE 80 g is a WD 133. I also have an external WD FAT 32
Drive. This is my backup drive. After installing appropriate drivers,
I will copy a number of my data files. I also have a folder with a
number of self-installing drivers for stuff that doesn't have XP drivers
on the cds that came with some of my peripherals.

When I first took a computer programing course, we used IBM's Principles
of Operations on a 3090 in 370 emulation. Op codes were just one step
above machine code. I found that the only way I could wrap my
consciousness around it was to chill out in the bath while absorbing bit
by bit. I do this with every new OS I use even if I'm not going to be
coding under it. You just can't take a notebook into the bath like you
can a good techie book. Also, a good book is really handy if you are in
a situation where you temporarily don't have access to the net.

So thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

John Doe

Brian K said:
FYI on both IDE and SATA drives from Western Digital it should be
noted that the disk prep software gives the user a choice of file
formats including NTFS, partitioning in different formats with
different OS etc.

Something I recently read is that you can format a flash drive with
NTFS using Microsoft's convert.exe. Then you can encrypt the drive.
I guess that will allow it to be used as an ordinary NTFS drive
while in your computer, but it will be completely inaccessible to
anyone if you take the flash drive with you and accidentally lose
it. Going to try that shortly.

Flash drives are very cool IMO, and getting cooler by the minute.

<Snipped discussion about programming>

Okay, so you are not a computer novice. Well then you have no
worries whatsoever about Windows XP. Besides much less crashing,
there is practically no noticeable difference except the appearance,
and the appearance can be changed to the standard Windows 9x look (I
like gradient colored title bars). The upgrade is easy. Have fun.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

From: Brian K <brianblog1951 earthlink.net>