Windows XP Connection Speed

aaa

Hi again!

Well, I am almost finished with my fix list and, after several Goggle
searches, today I have decided to post here again.

I believe there is a simple fix, perhaps Registry related, that can help
Window XP report the "correct" Connection Speed.

I am a lowly USRobotics Sportster 56K user and prior to purchasing this new
PC with XP, connection speed was always reported correctly. Now, same
modem, new PC and same settings as my previous PC with noted XP setting
exceptions, my Connection Speed continuously reports 115.2 kbps.

When I review the modem.log file, I find my connection speed is typically
49333 bps.

With my elder 98SE PC, I once had the same problem and, as I recall, I
edited or modified a Registry setting. Unfortunately, my Google experience
[searching for "Connection Speed" "Windows XP" (with and without SP2) wrong]
did not produce easily verified results.

As always, I sincerely appreciate any thoughts, recommendations and or
direction.

Thanks again!!

Anna Arkin

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

your modem is capable of doubling
the transfer rate at twice the
56k rating, e.g. 112k.

however, your service provider
is limiting your connection
to 56k. In your case it is 49k
or so.

even if your modem could
send data at 1 megabyte rates, e.g.
1000k, your service provider
wont send anything more than 56k.

these days, ISP's that give you
a full 56k as advertised is a rare
thing. most of them are cheating
customers by providing 20k or
less. The rest of the k's that you
cannot use if for spyware and ad's
by the isp.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

aaa said:
[...]

Ken Blake, MVP

these days, ISP's that give you
a full 56k as advertised is a rare
thing. most of them are cheating
customers by providing 20k or
less.

At least in the US (I don't know about the rest of the world), dial-up
speed is limited by the FCC to 53K, and nobody gets more than that.
It's not a matter of "cheating" by the ISP.

aaa

And yet, the reporting problem remains - - Windows XP's modem icon reports a
Connection Speed of 115.2 kbps and I would prefer it report the true
Connection Speed of 49333 bps or 48 kbps.

Other than your point-counter-point argument with db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>`, Ken,
do you have any real-world suggestions to correct this XP reporting problem?

Thank you,

Anna

aaa

And yet, the reporting problem remains - - Windows XP's modem icon reports a
Connection Speed of 115.2 kbps and I would prefer it report the true
Connection Speed of 49333 bps or 48 kbps.

Thank you,

Anna

" db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>` .. ." <databaseben.public.newsgroup.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
<SNIP>

Elmo

aaa said:
[...]

Try showing the Network Connection in the Notification area. This
usually shows the true connection speed when you hover over it, and
might work for the modem too. I think what you're seeing now is the
port speed, which, as you mention is not helpful. I've seen reference
to the fix you mentioned; I found these with a Google Groups search:

"Generic AT command for reporting DCE is W2. Add this into 'extra
settings', without the 'AT'.

Might also try in extra settings: AT&FW2, or &FW2 "

and

"This web page should help solve your dilemma.

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_modem/index.shtml "

more results

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q=actual+modem+speed+xp&qt_s=Search

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

well since the modem is the
device design to compress the
data inside it's built in buffers,
then the modem needs to
disable the 2x feature.

check out the modems
website for faq's.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

lol

Touché

"slap that b*tch 4 us...!"

:)

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

aaa said:
And yet, the reporting problem remains - - Windows XP's modem icon
reports a Connection Speed of 115.2 kbps and I would prefer it report
the true Connection Speed of 49333 bps or 48 kbps.

Other than your point-counter-point argument with db ´¯`·.. ><)))º>`,
Ken, do you have any real-world suggestions to correct this XP
reporting problem?

Thank you,

Anna

John7

Hi,

Ken's right, International Standards set a limit.
Futhermore, physical properties of the phone line can limit transfer speed
to even less.
Also, inferior modem hardware quality may reduce speed due to self poluting
noise.
Nothing you can do about that. No ISP limits the speed at its base these
days.

49Kbps is the speed between the modem and the ISP (very decent speed !!! )
115Kbps is the speed between the PC serial port and the modem.
The different speeds are both correct, they just describe different paths.

HTH,
John7

"There is noise on the line ... ´¯`·.. >"

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

you and ken are using
the isp i mentioned as a
red herring.

filtering out the noise from
your response, you only
provided a reaffirmation of
the problem she knows she has
instead of a tangiable solution.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

John7 said:
Hi,

Ken's right, International Standards set a limit.
Futhermore, physical properties of the phone line can limit transfer
speed to even less.
Also, inferior modem hardware quality may reduce speed due to self
poluting noise.
Nothing you can do about that. No ISP limits the speed at its base
these days.

49Kbps is the speed between the modem and the ISP (very decent speed
!!! )
115Kbps is the speed between the PC serial port and the modem.
The different speeds are both correct, they just describe different
paths.

HTH,
John7

"There is noise on the line ... ´¯`·.. >"

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

sounds like you
hit the target - again.

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Elmo said:
aaa said:
[...]

My response was not to her, since I was not able to help with her
issue. My response was to you, to correct the error in your statement.

John7

Let's stick with helping Anna.

Anna, like said before, you don't have a problem. Everthing is fine.

You are right, two different speeds sound confusing, but technically
they cover different paths (which is correct, but indeed confusing).

..

John7

Ken Blake, MVP

Let's stick with helping Anna.

Sorry, but no.

Helping Anna is fine, but it's not the only thing of importance.
Helping *everyone* who reads a thread here is also important, and if
misinformation is posted, other people get misinformed, and a
disservice is done to them. That's the greatest value of a newsgroup
like this one, as opposed to just asking a single person. Everything
any of us posts here is subject to review by everyone else, and if
someone makes an error, it's likely that someone else will jump in and
correct it. That's not only of value to those reading the thread, it's
also of value to the person who misstated something; he too gets the
opportunity to learn something.

Anna, like said before, you don't have a problem. Everthing is fine.

You are right, two different speeds sound confusing, but technically
they cover different paths (which is correct, but indeed confusing).

.

John7

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

well, we knew that but
john7 did not when he decided
to troll on into the subthread and
validate your response, as if you needed
his help. And then use sarcasim to conclude
his worthless response to the o.p.

i don't disagree with the gist
in your posting. however, i don't believe
that i was wrong as well.

no one disputes what maximum kb the FCC regulates.
the point is that the FCC does not regulate
the "minimum" amount of kb's that an ISP wants
to provide on a 56k connection.

what i was suggesting is that although
ISP's sell a service for what we think
should be 56k, many are getting much less
than 56k. And i don't mean a difference
of 5 or 7 kb's here and there.

most users can read the standard connection rate
posted in windows but most don't know how to measure
what there upload and downloads rates
actually are. If they did i would guarantee you that
their isp is likely bottle necking the data stream and actually
providing an upload and download rate
of maybe 15 kb. Which is pretty sad since
the low end of dsl service is what 1.5megs?

here in America it is a common practice
to advertise one thing but you get something
else. And one cannot be surprised if
there is a degradation of service that will
induce a customer to upgrade.

i admit that maybe my initial
interpretation of the issue was not attributed
to the ISP that i factored into the equation.
but i was interpreting the issue from a
different point of view.

i suppose that if you wanted to be helpful, you could
have provided a solution, like our little
genius ELMO, then I would have seen
what the o.p. was trying to explain.

never the less i thought of the o.p.'s
response to be a frank and humorous.

not unlike when you are humored
when a sadd mvp decides to make
an unprofessional and unwarranted
remark about me....

i'm sure there are no hard feelings
between us "for we are gentlemen and scholarly"

but nothing wrong with rolling up
one's sleeves and .....

:)

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

aaa

I do have a problem, John, and I want XP to report the CORRECT Connection
Speed and NOT the Port Speed.

John7 said:
Let's stick with helping Anna.

Anna, like said before, you don't have a problem. Everthing is fine.

You are right, two different speeds sound confusing, but technically
they cover different paths (which is correct, but indeed confusing).

.

John7

John7

Hi Anna,

Microsoft designed it that way. I am not defending their design here.
You are right, it is indeed confusing from the point of view of the end
user.

You may try the tool NetPerSec v1.1. It has an option to monitor only Dail
Up
connections in a near real time graph with maximum, minimum and average.
I have been using it for years, great tool! Nothing in Windows comes even
close.

HTH,
John7

aaa said:
I do have a problem, John, and I want XP to report the CORRECT Connection
Speed and NOT the Port Speed.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?_db_=B4=AF`=B7.._=3E=3C=29=29=29=BA

using elmo's insight, i went
to the webpage that i beleive
pertains to your modem"

http://www.usr.com/support/s-modem/s-modem-docs/sportx2.pdf

the online documentation
is about 150 pages of pdf
and covers several modems.

however, they all the sportsers that
are have different speeds apparently
use the same codes/commnads.

as i had suggested maybe
disabling the data compression
will report the normal rate.

below is seemingly the command
found on page 138 whereas;

&Kn Enables/disables data
compression:

&K0 Data compression
disabled

not sure if my suggestion
will fix you up, but at least
it is a step closer in that direction.

you might want to take
a closer look into the
data available at this
site:

http://www.usr.com/support/docs-template.asp?prod=s-modem

--

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

..

Elmo said:
aaa said:
[...]

Poprivet

your modem is capable of doubling
the transfer rate at twice the
56k rating, e.g. 112k.

No, it's reporting the serial speed, not the connection speed. IT's a modem
setting. Check the settings for the modem., probably in the COM port
assignmnet area.
however, your service provider
is limiting your connection
to 56k. In your case it is 49k
or so.

even if your modem could
send data at 1 megabyte rates, e.g.
1000k, your service provider
wont send anything more than 56k.

these days, ISP's that give you
a full 56k as advertised is a rare
thing. most of them are cheating
customers by providing 20k or
less. The rest of the k's that you
cannot use if for spyware and ad's
by the isp.

db ·´¯`·.¸. said:
<)))º>·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><)))º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><)))º>

.

John7 said:
Hi Anna,

Microsoft designed it that way. I am not defending their design here.
You are right, it is indeed confusing from the point of view of the
end user.

You may try the tool NetPerSec v1.1. It has an option to monitor only
Dail Up
connections in a near real time graph with maximum, minimum and
average. I have been using it for years, great tool! Nothing in
Windows comes even close.

HTH,
John7

You need to stop posting: You are dead wrong here. The "trick" is to set
the modem so it's reporting the connection speed, not the port speed.
It's been too long since I used dialup to give an answer, but once found,
it's not a big deal. Google would likely provide the OP some tangible and
useful results.

Pop`