Windows XP Windows XP blues

Reaction score
I bought windows xp (oem) from ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97548) last month. Was finishing up a project so couldnt try installing it earlier. Last week, I tried installing and it did not work...it was unable to copy number of files. I was trying a fresh install with hard drive format.

Since it was over 28 days and ebuyer did not want to deal with it, I called microsoft. Microsoft checked the code and told me that I do not have a genuine copy. I called back ebuyer on friday and they said that a customer service person will call me next week and have the problem sorted.

My question is that assuming ebuyer can help me install how will I be able to register the windows with microsoft?

Thanks

Klaus

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Whatever happens here, the outcome should be interesting :)

If Microsoft say it's not a genuine code then you won't be able to register the software with them.

Your problem is with E-Buyer. Keep us informed please.

Reaction score
It being a "non-genuine" copy of XP wouldn't (shouldn't) affect the installation or least not until you attempt to enter the key or activate it.

I take it that when it can't copy the files this is at the intial stage of installation?

If so then i would try a different optical drive.

J

Reaction score
Obviously you had installed it when you first had the XP disc, the code must have been authentic?:confused: Otherwise you would not have been able to install it, in the first place:confused: , I take it you did register online at the outset.

Must watch the outcome of this.
Very interesting. :nod:

Reaction score
Obviously you had installed it when you first had the XP disc, the code must have been authentic?

Yes, I should have explained...The code was accepted when I started installation process. I never got to the online registering part since I wasnt able to install windows XP. When I called microsoft for support they checked the code and said this copy is registered to a "company". I was also told that this copy of windows XP should have only been available "pre-loaded" on a new PC.

This is the first time I've bought oem software but I did spend some time on the web and general conclusion seemed to be that the only difference between OEM and retail is that OEM doesnt have manuals etc. Did I miss something?

I did try installing Win XP professional (borrowed it from a friend) and was able to install on the PC in question without any problems, so I dont think hardware on the PC is an issue.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I recently purchased an OEM copy of Win XP Home from Kustom PC's for my Mum and it installed and registered without any problems.

I did actually pay about £10.00 more by going to Kustom PC's, but it worked.

Nothing implied, just commenting/adding real life experience.

Reaction score
Fair enough, but I actually thought ebuyer was a decent place to buy. I've come across a few references on this website and dont recall any being negative.
Bottom line: Once this is over I check out Linux. I've stayed with Windows for a very long time but now I'm getting really irritated (it doesnt quite describe how I feel right now but I'm assuming you guys dont appreciate expletives on your forum!).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OEM ... Original Equipment Manufacturer

err, but not when it comes to software, especially Microsoft ... ;)

The term is misleading ... in that EBuyer did not manufacture the software but can sell it as a VAR (Value-Added Reseller) and that is what it should be called.

Ebuyer have technically broken their Licence agrement with MS by selling it to you ... I'm not going to go into any great details here, as "they" all do it, but your first point of contact should be with EBuyer an not MS ... I think MS were being very 'polite' to you. :)

Good luck!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
'tis true - Ebuyer should be sorting this as even though its OEM, it should still have installed perfectly fine with the supplied key - if you can install another copy of XP, then the disc may be corrupt/scratched/whatever and should be replaced.

Obviously the fact you haven't discovered it for a month is going to make them bleat, but stick to your statutory rights regardless of what they try and say about their terms and conditions :thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It sounds like ebuyer have pulled a fast one and are selling oem's seperate of pre built pc's which would normally come supplied with those discs...tut tut tut....:p

Be very interesting to know the outcome of this.....:thumb:

Reaction score
Ebuyer have technically broken their Licence agrement with MS by selling it to you

Is it illegal to buy OEM software? I've asked this question in many forums and have not recvd a straight answer. Maybe there isnt a straight answer but it would be good to know.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
klaus said:
Is it illegal to buy OEM software? I've asked this question in many forums and have not recvd a straight answer. Maybe there isnt a straight answer but it would be good to know.
No, it is not illegal ... it is how most of us get our Windows, but you usually have to buy a MB or some other "qualifying" hardware as well.

It really depends on where MS move the goal posts to. ;)

Reaction score
Spoke with Ebuyer and they've agreed to replace the software. They (Ebuyer) also said that while there's likely a problem with the specific CD but they have an agreement with microsoft on sale of OEM windows so there will not be a problem in product activation...And they dont understand why MS should say that I have bought me a dodgy CD...

ITs confusing but end result looks promising. Will keep you guys posted.

Reaction score
klaus said:
Spoke with Ebuyer and they've agreed to replace the software. They (Ebuyer) also said that while there's likely a problem with the specific CD but they have an agreement with microsoft on sale of OEM windows so there will not be a problem in product activation...And they dont understand why MS should say that I have bought me a dodgy CD...

ITs confusing but end result looks promising. Will keep you guys posted.

Glad you have had a satisfactory result, now when you spoke to them did they [ebuyer] post the replacement 1st class? If not get back to them and tell them to do so.
nod.gif

I have purchased [looking through my records] 112 OEM XP discs during the last year and have had no problems; I have been watching this thread with great interest, and, therefore if you had not had a resolving solution I would have acted on your behalf.
nod.gif
thats a fact;)

As mucks have said you should have purchased a piece of hardware of which you did I imagine, even a £1.00 mouse is classed as an OEM addition to XP disc.

So good luck when you reinstall XP:D

Reaction score
Ebuyer's issued me a credit
icon7.gif
which is great news since I've decided to try linux...might have to go crawling back to MS but it wont be without a fight
icon12.gif

Thanks for all your help.

-Klaus

Reaction score
They can sell the OEM as long as they send a piece of the "original" computer eg: cd rom, graphics card etc. I checked with microsoft once before about this as they were a bit on the cheaper side....until you get em that is. OEM disks came pre-installed with new computers only.

Reaction score
Ebuyer did not send me anything with OEM windows XP. I even double checked the package in hope of finding a vibrating rodent, or some such.

I should add that ebuyer responded and issued me a credit so I've got no problems with them.

peahouse05

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi klaus,
Bought MB, CPU,RAM and PSU from Ebuyer with OEM XP. Have re-installed it for the second time. First time it validated automatically, as it did when originally installed. This time I had to ring Microsoft but it was all done by typing in a numerical key supplied on the phone so I am happy.
I'm glad its worked out well for you in the end.
Cheers,
peahouse05:thumb:

Ask a Question