Windows/XP Automatically Reboots with SBC/DSL

G

I'm new to Windows/XP and a DSL broadband service with SBC. I use a NetGear router between my PC and the SBC supplied modem (SpeedStream 5100B) using PPPoE. The router is used to support a wireless connection for sharing of the DSL line with another PC

Since I have installed the service and have been using the broadband connection, my PC sporadically reboots itself and prompts me to send a crash analysis report to Microsoft. I've sent many of these reports and the technical response from Microsoft is ..
"The error was likely caused by an interaction between Windows and the following: Visual IP InSight (IPVNMon.sys). Visual IP InSight (IPVNMon.sys) was created by Visual Networks. It is typically distributed by internet service providers. To find out if a solution or a fix is available, contact your internet service provider"

I've not had much success with the SBC/DSL support structure. We have gone through a series of profile redefinitions, with not much success. Has anyone experienced this symptom? With Windows/XP, Netgear Router, and a SBC/DSL modem in the components chain, I'm really not sure where to begin

Any guideance or technical input would be greatly appreciated ...

G

I've not resolved this yet, due to time constrainsts, but I will be discussing this with the SBC technical folks today. I've removed my router from the configuration, thinking it might be related with the router, but the same thing happens with the original configuration from SBC right out of the box.

It has to do when you install their entire package software. The whole Yahoo DSL browser, email, thing. I've talked to folks who have not installeda the entire package software and they are having no problems. They use IE and Microsoft Outlook for browser and email applications.

I'll get an answer ...

----- laguna_smb wrote: ----

I have the same problem! Did you figure it out yet? I am getting hopeless here...

G

I believe the problem is finally resolved. The original problem was the result of an interaction between Windows/XP and a product called Visual IP Insight (ipvnmon.sys), which is distributed by your broad band service provider. I contacted the SBC/DSL technical services folks and they were no help whatsoever. They even went so far as to say,that they do not distribute this product, with their broad band set of services tools. This is not true. I found traces of this code with their DSL Connection Manager application, as well as some standalone directory entries, for Visual Networks

This is what I did, and so far, so good ..

(1) Invoke the "Add or Remove Programs" function in the Control Panel application and remove the "SBC DSL Connection Manager" and "Visual IP Insight" applications
(2) Removal of the "Visual IP Insight" application does not remove the ipvnmon.sys driver code. I manually removed this code from \WINDOWS\system32\drivers and so far, no mysterious crashes and reboots of my Windows/XP platform. I had 45 system crashes and reported problems to Microsoft with this ipvnmon.sys cod

Take care and good luck ..

Ask a Question