Windows won't logoff, restart or shutdown

Geoff Collins

when i try to logoff, restart or shutdown, my computer
does nothing and just sits there idle. i have just
freshly formatted my hard drive and performed a clean
install of windows xp and installed all of the windows
updates and now i can't turn my computer off or reboot
it. i have checked out that MVP Jim Eshelman's web site
and nothing there seems to work either. any help would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

geoff.

Azana

Geoff Collins said:
when i try to logoff, restart or shutdown, my computer
does nothing and just sits there idle. i have just
freshly formatted my hard drive and performed a clean
install of windows xp and installed all of the windows
updates and now i can't turn my computer off or reboot
it. i have checked out that MVP Jim Eshelman's web site
and nothing there seems to work either. any help would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

geoff.

It could be that some 3rd party program running in the background is
interfering with the shutdown/restart process. Run the task manager
and try ending processes one at a time. After each one, try to
restart the computer.

Was that already suggested on Jim Eshelman's web site?

This is kind of specific but, if one of the processes is "mmx.exe,"
that's probably your culprit.

"Geoff Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message

It could be that some 3rd party program running in the background is
interfering with the shutdown/restart process. Run the task manager
and try ending processes one at a time. After each one, try to
restart the computer.

Was that already suggested on Jim Eshelman's web site?

This is kind of specific but, if one of the processes is "mmx.exe,"
that's probably your culprit.
.

I have no third party software installed on my pc yet.
just windows by itself, no other software. i have no idea
what the problem is. i have re-installed windows again
and still have the same problem. any other ideas?

thanks people.

Azana

I have no third party software installed on my pc yet.
just windows by itself, no other software. i have no idea
what the problem is. i have re-installed windows again
and still have the same problem. any other ideas?

thanks people.

Some questions:

When you try to shutdown, does the computer start to go though the
shutdown process and then revert back to the desktop? Or does the
computer just seem to ignore the shutdown command entirely?

Let me also check my current understanding of your situation. Is this
a problem that has cropped up since you reinstalled, or is this the
problem that prompted the reinstall?

Is the system throwing any errors? Check in the event viewer for any
errors. To see the event viewer: Right click on my computer -> select
manage -> Under system tools expand the event viewer folder.

One suggestion:

If you haven't already, try closing running processes in the Task
Manager despite the fact that no third party software has been
installed yet. One of them might still be the culprit.