Windows XP Windows will not start in any mode......whats the next step

Reaction score
hello all...I am new to the forum and need HELP. I'll start at the beginning.

Adobe had done an update and needed to do a restart. I waited because i was in the middle of a few things. 24 hours later I was in like 3 different programs and everything locked up and the computer ended up restatring it self. Now it comes up with

windows did not close successfully a recent hardware change or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding , restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down toprotect your files and folders, chose last known good configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you arnt sure what caused the problem, chose start up windows normally

start in safe mode or last known good configuration or normal. no matter which one i did i ended up back at the safe, normal, or lkgc. I read that i could do a repair with my xp cd so i did. I did a repair using my xp pro cd and ran a chkdsk /r. It finished and told me that it found some errors and repaired them. it then gave me a command prompt c:\windows. I didn't know what to do so i pushed the restart button on my computer. when it restasrted, i got the same windows did not close successfully........normal, safe mode, last known good configuration. I am doing another chkdsk /r. what is my next step????????

Help!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Repair Install :thumb:

Welcome to the forum......
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Reaction score
I am afraid to do that since there is a 50/50 chance that it will write over my files. Here is what i was thinking....I have 2 hard drives in my desk top. both have windows xp on it. I am using the 2nd drive as a back up drive (D:). Unfortinatally i did not back up my files before it took a crap or i would just format it and call it a day.

Here is what i don't know now, my main drive, the one not working is a SATA and the backup one is parallel. How can i make the parallel one the main one and the SATA the back up so i can go and retreive my info. Is this something that is done through the BIOS???? (should i post this under hardware support???)

Reaction score
JanyRob said:
Reinstallation of windows replaces ONLY windows files
user files are not replaced

Reinstalation of the OS will delete everything.. A repair install only repairs and replaces system files...Seems your answer to everything today is reinstall...

Edit: Sorry Wiz I didn't see your post..

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Reinstalation of the OS will delete everything.. A repair install only repairs and replaces system files...Seems your answer to everything today is reinstall...

Edit: Sorry Wiz I didn't see your post..

No worries mate, I am just glad that person is now banned from the forums.
nod.gif

Ask a Question