Windows Vista Windows Vista will no longer start up

Reaction score
Hi all,

I ran superantispyware a few days ago and it found a few viruses, it cleaned it up and asked me to restart windows. However, windows will no longer start up. Everytime I try to restart the laptop, the text screen indicating "windows could not start properly the previous time" pops up and gives the option to run windows in safe mode vs. normal mode. I have tried running windows using all these options but it fails to load properly. The windows desktop starts to appear without loading the icons and at the bottom of the screen, it says failed to load explorer.exe and it again jumps to back to the text screen "windows could not start properly the previous time" and again gives the option to run windows in safe mode vs. normal mode. I would greatly appreciate your help. I think I need some type of a boot disc to help load windows vista but not sure how to go about creating one. Is there a way to fix this and not have to reinstall windows vista and lose all my hard drive data? Thank you again.

Reaction score
You may have corrupt system files

There is a way of resolving this on XP however, i'm not sure it will work on Vista because I don't own it

Here's what you do on XP

Start>Run>cmd

chkdsk /f

it will tell you it cannot be started because certain items are in use and ask if you want to start scan upon next reboot answer 'y'

and then reboot machine

As I said I don't know if this works on Vista, but worth a try if no one else can come up with anything soon

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. But the problem is that windows vista won't even load far enough to be able to show the start button at the tool bar so that I can do what you suggested. Before "Start" button loads, windows restarts. Appreciate any other suggestions.

Reaction score
Do you have an external drive caddy?

Im not clued up on Vista at all you see so as u mentioned backing up all your stuff could be a good idea before you continue reinstallin Vista. You can do a reinstall over the top which should fix corrupt files but always best to back up first. If you have a caddy take drive out put it into caddy and use another computer to put all important files onto it via your USB port

They only cheap and really usefull to have. SATA or IDE are available online from around £6

Sorry I can't help more at this stage. Bare with us though someone else might be able to help, I may have missed something you see. It's been a long day ;)

Reaction score
Hi

I suggest that you run system restore boot from your vista disk once thats loaded select repair my computer then do a system restore to a point where the problem was not happening.

If that does not solve the issue then I recommend you do as TD has said do a repair install, follow this guide here on how to perform a repair install of vista. Backup your data first though to be on the safe side :)

Hope this helps.

Regards

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Id try the repair option first rather than the restore.... ;)

Ask a Question